To drop 11th unit? (1 Viewer)

zaczaczac

HSC
Any advice on whether to drop my 11th unit, it's Ext Maths. It was meant to bring up my PDHPE mark, like count for half of it. But now I'm thinking it might not be worth it...

I'm guesstimating a 92ish in PD and somewhere between 40-45 in Ext Maths....

I don't really enjoy the Ext Maths, but I just think there's not too much room for improvement in PD, especially since it scales so badly.

Advice???

zaczaczac

HSC
Any reason??

It would probably count, but it would take a looooot of time, and only increase my atar by like 0.5(?) max....which seems a lot, but it would save me a lot of stress.....

HSC
If your rank is decent in ext maths it's best to keep it just in case you flunk your other subjects. But if you're say, your rank isn't good and your cohort isn't strong then I guess it is best to drop it. I wouldn't do it if I were you though.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Just keep it. Ext 1 maths scales well compared to your other subjects.
There's a friend who dropped ext 1 maths, and during the HSC, stuffed up one of the subjects in the 10 units and got a really bad atar. If that person were to keep ext 1 maths, their atar would be far better than the atar that they've got.

So keep ext 1 maths in case you stuffed up , you never know what will happen.

zaczaczac

HSC
In my trial I was 80 / 95, which is obviously horrible. I think I'm generally more around the 60/85 rank (ability wise), my excuse is that my worst exams were the ones heavily weighted :p + I had a mindblank for projectile in the trial.

However, in saying that, selective school etc, still I THINK correlates to 40-45. (50 of the 95 students are 4u roughly btw)

And yeh the "keep it in case I screw up argument" is very compelling, but really most people around me are on 10 units? And I don't really see what I could screw up....but anything is possible I guess

nifkeh

HSC
have you got your trials results back? If you're in a selective, usually the standard is somewhat the hsc standard, so your mark isn't like too inflated as to what you'd be achieving in hsc with your current level. There's always room for improvement between now and the HSC, many people do study during this time so they improve (some by 8-10+ marks). Don't fret about it because ultimately it depends on your preparation. If you really want to drop that 11th unit, do so if you think your PDHPE performance at this rate will be unrivaled by improvements in Extension 1 maths. Otherwise I don't see too much harm keeping the maths unit, as you're not doing that badly in it at all.

zaczaczac

HSC
Complete backflip again and thinking I'll drop it.....only 6 weeks to go and can't afford to devote the time it needs to it.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)