To do BLaw/BMedia at UNSW or BA Comm at UTS? (1 Viewer)

Mystry

HSC
Well my original plan before ATAR came out was BA Communications (Journalism) at UTS, a course requiring 95.45. I selected Journalism as my preference because writing and the humanities are pretty much my forte. I did 5u of history, 3u of english and 2u Maths in Year 12, so I think it's pretty obvious what I'm sloped towards.

However, looking over my options again last night, I discovered (as a recipient of the AAA scholarship at UNSW) I can get into B Media/B Laws at UNSW. Now I'm leaning towards his options for a few reason.
--More career options, as journalism was basically chosen because it was one of the only subjects I was geared towards which had an actual career path
--More engaging. I imagine this course would be more challenging and more interesting, as well as teaching me more.
--It's a double degree, they're cool.

However, a few issues.
--UTS option is only three years, and a single degree. I figure the HECS would be about 30 grand less that UNSW...is that something I should consider?
--Is it worth it? Two extra years and an extra degree worth of work is alot, will it pay off in the long term? Are the benefits and options it opens to me ample enough to make up the enormous fees and time I will spend?
--Is it a good degree? Just, in general. Taken in isolation, is it like, good?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated. Also, yes I am going to UNSW info day tomorrow, so I'm just asking for personal opinions here.

Scinery

HSC
Congratulations on amazing marks

From what i've heard, the UTS BA (Communications- Journalism) is an INCREDIBLE course.

UNSW media, is less good; but it's UNSW, so you'll still get a job (Probably in a wider scope than UTS, since the UTS course is targeted specifically for people who want to do journalism).

and UNSW Law is extreeemely good.

It's just a matter of what you would enjoy more in your future - if you're 100% set on journalism as a career - go to uts. If you think you'd enjoy the greater security and salary that comes with Law, WITH the option of continuing into journalism, go to UNSW.

My pick would hence be unsw, even though uts is amazing.

UTSjournalism

HSC
N/A
Now, I would say this but . . . you can always do the combined journalism/law degree at UTS, which is fabulous. You get to try the best of both worlds and see what you really enjoy doing. The HECS debt shouldn't worry you - you only have to pay it back when you start earning. Hope to see you at our Advisory Day tomorrow.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Well my original plan before ATAR came out was BA Communications (Journalism) at UTS, a course requiring 95.45. I selected Journalism as my preference because writing and the humanities are pretty much my forte. I did 5u of history, 3u of english and 2u Maths in Year 12, so I think it's pretty obvious what I'm sloped towards.

However, looking over my options again last night, I discovered (as a recipient of the AAA scholarship at UNSW) I can get into B Media/B Laws at UNSW. Now I'm leaning towards his options for a few reason.
--More career options, as journalism was basically chosen because it was one of the only subjects I was geared towards which had an actual career path
--More engaging. I imagine this course would be more challenging and more interesting, as well as teaching me more.
--It's a double degree, they're cool.

However, a few issues.
--UTS option is only three years, and a single degree. I figure the HECS would be about 30 grand less that UNSW...is that something I should consider?
--Is it worth it? Two extra years and an extra degree worth of work is alot, will it pay off in the long term? Are the benefits and options it opens to me ample enough to make up the enormous fees and time I will spend?
--Is it a good degree? Just, in general. Taken in isolation, is it like, good?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated. Also, yes I am going to UNSW info day tomorrow, so I'm just asking for personal opinions here.
Nowhere in your post have you mentioned why you specifically want to do law. Lots of other double degrees are equally as challenging. And law isn't a course you superficially want to choose, just because it looks or sounds "cool". Unless you had a prior interest in law, I wouldn't choose UNSW Media (Communications & Journalism)/Law unless you make an effort to research or find out more information about the law course.

You don't want to be stuck in a 5 year double degree when you might not even enjoy the law component. And while it's fairly likely that you might enjoy law, it's not worth the risk. Assess your situation and consider where your priorities might be in 5 years time, and why law might be relevant to your career or personal interests.

UTS is the best avenue if you have an interest in journalism. And if your heart is also set on law, you can always do a combined law degree at UTS.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)