to current students of usyd - easy $10 (1 Viewer)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Hi, I need a Sydney Uni student to send me a few past papers from this link: www.library.usyd.edu.au/exams

I need the past papers for BCom's junior (5 core units: ECOF1003, ECOF1004..) which are here: http://sydney.edu.au/business/course/BCom(under Transitional arrangements for 2011 commencing students) – two past papers per unit if possible

I would also like CFIN2011 (corporate finance) – two past papers if possible.

Please send them to dbsrjsdn@msn.com stating your paypal email so I can send you the $10.

(nb I have received an offer to study at usyd, but I don't have a unikey so I need your help – I would like to assess the difficulty of usyd's bcom programme before enrolling)

Many thanks.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
for ecof1003 and ecof1004 you cannot assess the difficulty of the courses by their exams. especially as they have very little weighting. the exams were more essay styled so the difficulty was based on how stringent the marking was. and i think the core units have changed (something like micro and macro are together or something along those lines) so the difficulty may have quite easily have shifted either way.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I think ecof1003 and 1004 are mostly theory, am I right?

But yeah, I'd appreciate it if someone could upload ecmt1010, micro and cfin2011 past papers for BCom. I don't know if I can handle this course with my current (general maths) maths skills. Accounting should be pretty breezy because I studied it at tafe. I'm actually thinking about declining my offer to study at usyd and just study at macquarie where I hear it's not so hard(mathematically)

PS Rafy please check your email.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
I think ecof1003 and 1004 are mostly theory, am I right?

But yeah, I'd appreciate it if someone could upload ecmt1010, micro and cfin2011 past papers for BCom. I don't know if I can handle this course with my current (general maths) maths skills. Accounting should be pretty breezy because I studied it at tafe. I'm actually thinking about declining my offer to study at usyd and just study at macquarie where I hear it's not so hard(mathematically)

PS Rafy please check your email.
If you are concerned about the maths have you considered doing a bridging course? I would have thought doing a bridging course would be better than choosing a different uni just because of the level of the maths.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
If you are concerned about the maths have you considered doing a bridging course? I would have thought doing a bridging course would be better than choosing a different uni just because of the level of the maths.
Hi izy, I have and I've considered getting a private tutor but I'm not sure if it would be enough..

That's my main concern.

What would you advise?

P.S is it true ECMT1010 and ECON1001 have calculus and derivatives?

kcqn93

HSC
Hi izy, I have and I've considered getting a private tutor but I'm not sure if it would be enough..

That's my main concern.

What would you advise?

P.S is it true ECMT1010 and ECON1001 have calculus and derivatives?
Very very basic calculus and a bit of simultaneous equations.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Very very basic calculus and a bit of simultaneous equations.
Pretty much this. I think the content in ECMT1010 isn't really that similar to maths you learn in highschool as its essentially statistics. ECON1001 will just involve differentiating and maybe adding/subtracting certain equations. As far as I'm concerned, Year 11 Maths is all that is needed.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Thanks kcqn and once again ozko.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to study statistics in my first semester instead of microeconomics. Basically my timetable will be structured like so:

- understanding business
- the business environment (both formerly known as ecof1003 and 1004.. I'm hoping to God these don't involve more than standard maths, if any)
- accounting (I love it)
- statistics (is there 2U Mathematics in this or is it basically a level playing field?)

This way, I can get private maths tutoring for the first half of the year and also study a bridging course. Maybe I should try to make some friends that are good at maths too hahahaha

Is this a good idea?

btw ozko are you korean?? the girl in your avatar looks like sandara..

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
understanding business and the business environment have no maths whatsoever. but you can't do that i dont think.. im pretty sure ecof1004 has ecof1003 is its prerequisite so you have to do the business environment in second sem.

statistics has more general maths than 2 unit maths in it. you seriously learn it all
accounting has simultaneous equations, basic addition and subtraction
microeconomics had the first derivative (2u), linear geometry (pretty sure thats general maths) and simultaneous equations from memory.

the uni has free maths courses during semester as well, they were pretty heavily advertised at the beginning of sem.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
understanding business and the business environment have no maths whatsoever. but you can't do that i dont think.. im pretty sure ecof1004 has ecof1003 is its prerequisite so you have to do the business environment in second sem.

statistics has more general maths than 2 unit maths in it. you seriously learn it all
accounting has simultaneous equations, basic addition and subtraction
microeconomics had the first derivative (2u), linear geometry (pretty sure thats general maths) and simultaneous equations from memory.

the uni has free maths courses during semester as well, they were pretty heavily advertised at the beginning of sem.
yeah I noticed the prereq >< would it be possible to choose a law elective even if I'm only going to study 511504 Commerce? I'm thinking about studying CLAW1001 Foundations of Business Law. i'm actually required to study CLAW1001 for ca/cpa accrediation.

so basically my timetable will be the same except I'll be studying business environment in second sem. it's possible to do statistics in semester 1 isn't it?

I assume stats is a bit easier than micro at usyd? is everything gone through with you? some things that I can't understand are lim, the sigma sign with N on top and i=X bottom of it and f(x)(lol I have to get tutored asap).

do you mind telling me what part of accounting is simultaneous equations? I only remember doing A=L+OE, rearranging the equation to find L or OE etc., balance sheets, income statements and memorising general journal entries and narrations in tafe.

and yeah, i've read about that. I'll definitely be attending those. I also read that usyd also has a maths learning centre where you can drop in for maths help. would PASS sessions be useful as well?

and thank you for the tips a037.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks kcqn and once again ozko.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to study statistics in my first semester instead of microeconomics. Basically my timetable will be structured like so:

- understanding business
- the business environment (both formerly known as ecof1003 and 1004.. I'm hoping to God these don't involve more than standard maths, if any)
- accounting (I love it)
- statistics (is there 2U Mathematics in this or is it basically a level playing field?)

This way, I can get private maths tutoring for the first half of the year and also study a bridging course. Maybe I should try to make some friends that are good at maths too hahahaha

Is this a good idea?

btw ozko are you korean?? the girl in your avatar looks like sandara..
Half Korean, and yes it's Dara.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I noticed the prereq >< would it be possible to choose a law elective even if I'm only going to study 511504 Commerce? I'm thinking about studying CLAW1001 Foundations of Business Law. i'm actually required to study CLAW1001 for ca/cpa accrediation.

so basically my timetable will be the same except I'll be studying business environment in second sem. it's possible to do statistics in semester 1 isn't it?

I assume stats is a bit easier than micro at usyd? is everything gone through with you? some things that I can't understand are lim, the sigma sign with N on top and i=X bottom of it and f(x)(lol I have to get tutored asap).

do you mind telling me what part of accounting is simultaneous equations? I only remember doing A=L+OE, rearranging the equation to find L or OE etc., balance sheets, income statements and memorising general journal entries and narrations in tafe.

and yeah, i've read about that. I'll definitely be attending those. I also read that usyd also has a maths learning centre where you can drop in for maths help. would PASS sessions be useful as well?

and thank you for the tips a037.
yes you can do claw in sem1 first year
yes you can do statistics (you can check all this on the website somewhere..)
i found stat easier than micro but i found micro more interesting... there werent limits in it. there was the SUM (sigma notation) i think maybe... but not much and they pretty much retaught it to you in the lecture. USYD has the PASS program where you go each week for like a study session with a facilitator.. it was a great way to meet people and you go over everything in tutes/lectures so you can go as slowly over concepts as you want. a lot of people didnt know anything about differentiation and seemed to learn it quickly there. i found it really helpful and even the weeks where you understood what was happening, it was a great way to meet more people.

ummm accounting simultaneous equations i dont remember lol.. maybe it was even statistics or micro economics.. i dont remember.. but it couldve been the chapter on break even analysis maybe not.. but there was a chapter on cost drivers and stuff as well as budgets that used bits of simultaneous equations.. dont really remember lol sorry. its really not difficult and they go through it so thoroughly in pass.

people go in without even general maths, you should be fine. + the textbooks go through the stuff thoroughly

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
CLAW is a business school discipline, it isn't taught by the law faculty. It can be done in a commerce degree.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
yes you can do claw in sem1 first year
yes you can do statistics (you can check all this on the website somewhere..)
i found stat easier than micro but i found micro more interesting... there werent limits in it. there was the SUM (sigma notation) i think maybe... but not much and they pretty much retaught it to you in the lecture. USYD has the PASS program where you go each week for like a study session with a facilitator.. it was a great way to meet people and you go over everything in tutes/lectures so you can go as slowly over concepts as you want. a lot of people didnt know anything about differentiation and seemed to learn it quickly there. i found it really helpful and even the weeks where you understood what was happening, it was a great way to meet more people.

ummm accounting simultaneous equations i dont remember lol.. maybe it was even statistics or micro economics.. i dont remember.. but it couldve been the chapter on break even analysis maybe not.. but there was a chapter on cost drivers and stuff as well as budgets that used bits of simultaneous equations.. dont really remember lol sorry. its really not difficult and they go through it so thoroughly in pass.

people go in without even general maths, you should be fine. + the textbooks go through the stuff thoroughly
thank God i can study stat and law first sem! and yeah, i'll definitely be joining PASS!! if I enrol in the first week, I should be guaranteed in accounting and stats right? or do spots fill really quickly?

ohh it's been years since i studied breakeven analysis and cost drivers! well i'm sort of looking forward to studying at sydney now, thanks so much a03. your post really lifted my spirits :)

and thanks again rafy, nice to know I can enrol in law!

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
thank God i can study stat and law first sem! and yeah, i'll definitely be joining PASS!! if I enrol in the first week, I should be guaranteed in accounting and stats right? or do spots fill really quickly?

ohh it's been years since i studied breakeven analysis and cost drivers! well i'm sort of looking forward to studying at sydney now, thanks so much a03. your post really lifted my spirits :)

and thanks again rafy, nice to know I can enrol in law!
ummm spots on the most convenient times filled pretty quickly.. but you are allowed to join a guest list kinda thing and just rock up if there is space in the room because a lot of people just sign up and dont go...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)