to all the new italian students... (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
welcome everyone new!
make sure you understand the work, the grammer. i am not sure what you do in beginners, but if you write letters, practice thta and get your teacher to mark them.

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
actaully the best practice i found was writing emails to italian students from the main parts of italy (i.e. don't go looking for a sicilian email buddy cos they'll most likely speak dialect). my teacher always hated extra marking. plus i think email pals are a lot more interesting :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
that's a good idea, if they will correct your mistakes

Kakie

and use this forum, thanx to all italian studenti from last year who were so incredibly encouraging! we all helped each other and challenged one another and check out our brilliant marks band 5/6's!!

Nescient

HSC
N/A
:( im class of '04 doin continuers.... i'm kinda starting to get bored with italian for some reason... i used to be more interested cos i found it more challenging... but its like now our class is just the same crap everyday, and im not even sure of where the hell we are :/ I do spanish aswell so that helps me a fair bit, and my dad speaks to me in italian so thats good too... but im slipping in class cause im so bored with what we're doing but i love the language :( any advice?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
go further yourself. if you understand everything in class, if it's all revision and you are doing well then you can take it further, simply because you have the love of the language. i don't know how fluent you are, or what you use your italian for on a daily basis, but since your dad talkes to you in italian i would say u are quite fluent, and therefore i am not sure if my suggestions will work.

but i would say to apply it to things - listen to songs, watch movies, cartoons, read magazines. for me, that is what learning italian is about - it's about taking it out of the classroom and being able to use it in situations where i would normally use english. enjoy what you can understand, and enjoy learning what you can't.

Nescient

HSC
N/A
thats good advice :p
i know i should really use it out side of school, i try to half the time, like when im thinking about something i try to think about it in italian or in spanish so i get to practice a bit :S i dunno... i just gotta start applying my self again... just getting lazy cos im bored :/
but i really do enjoy it so hopefully i'll get my act together soon...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah. it's more enjoyable that way. i just love, adore, being able to understand and write things i wouldn't understand (and write) without my italian lessons.

amalia

mei ling you are un mito!

any help i would be so grateful, specialmente per parlare in italiano. Aiutami!! per favore..

ciao

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
Originally posted by amalia
mei ling you are un mito!

any help i would be so grateful, specialmente per parlare in italiano. Aiutami!! per favore..

ciao
haha quando ho letto il tuo messaggio ho pensato che mi hai chiamato un'acero! (come quella d'una parassita!).
purtroppo, amalia, non posso aiutarti parlare perche' la mia capacita' parlare la lingua e' molto bassa!! magari qualcuno m'insegni parlarla piu' veloce! comunque ti consiglio praticare delle domande semplice come "cosa fai nel tuo tempo libero?", "discrivimi la tua famiglia", ecc. perche' nell'esame i professori non ti chiedono le domande difficili. a patto che ti ricordi la gramattica e delle frase idiomatiche, non e' possibile che prenderai un basso voto!
- scusa per la risposta ritardata!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
posso vedere che fai l'italiano ora mel_ling. perche' hai scritto un paragrafo (SP!?) in italiano!! e tutti noi non l'abbiamo fatto per tanto tempo!

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
ahaha no... sai che non studio piu' l'italiano quest'anno ma invece francese beginners! all'UNSW non si puo' studiare l'italiano al livello avanzato :(... cmq mi rende contenta che puoi capire quello che ho scritto perche' non ho praticato la lingua da tanissimo!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh lol, i thought it was the warm up from doing italian again!!! maybe you've been warmed up by doing a foreign language.

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
lol perhaps. but it's so annoying in french tutes cos i keep getting itlaian mixed up with french - if anything knowing italian's making it harder for me to learn another!
you're studying italian now aren't you?

paulcavalier

Buongiorno allievi! Come va? Io parlo molto poco l'italiano. C' qualcuno che parla inglese?

Anyway, I'm only a beginner and my knowledge of Italian is very limited. Does anyone here know of any good sites or books that I could buy to help me improve on my Italian? I am in Year 11 and am doing the beginners course. My father is Italian but because he works long hours it is hard for me to spend enough time to improve with him.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thankyou!

-Paul Cavalier

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
one thing, were you talking to everyone? Come va = how is she/he OR how are you (in the polite form). if you're talking to us, just say come state? which means how are you(s)?

what does allievi mean? ifit's a user and you were talking to them you may have to disregard what i said.

sites or books... umm... well i didn't use any, so i don't know of any. if you want to search this is a search engine - www.virgilio.it

i always suggest music, just because i love music. i get the words off the net, and then look up any that i don't understand. if i like the singer, of course i will listen to the songs over and over again. and there's more chance i will remember the new words that way.

we all speak english here, we just speak italian to practice!

just enjoy it! i remember when i didn't know the basics, it was fantastic to finally understand some words!

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
hmmm i thought "come va" meant "how's it going" in an idiomatic form?
allievi - pupils .. i remember!

yeah, anyone know where to buy italian fiction novels?? like harry potter or something???

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by mei_ling03
hmmm i thought "come va" meant "how's it going" in an idiomatic form?
allievi - pupils .. i remember!
ahh, yeah that could be right,
and i have never heard that word before! there are so many ways of saying students or words like that

yeah, anyone know where to buy italian fiction novels?? like harry potter or something???
do you know of abbey's in the city? they have books there, i'm not sure if they have harry potter but they should, call them first

abbey's bookshop
131 york st sydney
ph 02 9264 3111
fax 02 9264 8993
www.abbeys.com.au

language book centre: same address as above
ph 9267 1397
fax 9264 8993
www.languagebooks.com.au

here's a good link
http://www.languagebooks.com.au/categories/01/94/31/
select the language

you're studying italian now aren't you?
no not now, but i'm not going to let it waste away, i hope!

edit: now i'm hooked, i've been meaning to go and buy some books.
so anyway, i found harry potter, i did an english search and it brought it up in all the different languages, 3rd from the bottom
http://www.languagebooks.com.au/search.asp
it's very expensive though!

Last edited:

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
oowah... you know your stuff well! thanks for that..! i'll check those sites out. :)
hmm only thing is i'm broke atm! stupid rent...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)