To all the engineers out there...plz help (1 Viewer)

pboy_

HSC
Hey guys im in yr12 currently n i serzly wanna get into the b.engineering flexible first year at unsw. im doing 4u math chem phys bio adv english. if i drop down to 3u math will i b screwed. also wat is the MINIMUM mark i should be getting in assesmments at skool to make it in?
peace out

Last edited:

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
UAI req is 85, get above 75 and they'll take you via EAS (you go in for an interview, they take pretty much everyone). 4U maths isn't really needed, you cover all the 4U stuff you'll need in the first few weeks of uni maths.

So if you just want to get in, aim for 85 UAI. I'd suggest that you aim to understand every concept in every course though, rather than aiming for XX marks. If you understand all the concepts, the high marks will follow.

pboy_

HSC
thnx for the replies! so is engineering as interesting as you thought it would be? and wat electives can u take n wat do u hv to do?
peace

Last edited:

elfm

HSC
i wouldn't call any uni degree interesting. engineering is a pain in the ass, especially if you fall behind.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
youll be fine if you take 3 unit maths
my friend only did extension 1 and hes cruising along
depends how fast you absorb stuff really

pboy_

HSC
is it true that the ratio of guys to girls is really bad? i dont do engineering at school but i no that thers like 1 girl n like "n" guys

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yes, the majority of engineering students are male

but don't let that influence your decision in any way - even if you see it as a good or a bad thing.

You should choose a career based on what YOU want to do, not what everyone else does.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
pboy_ said:
is it true that the ratio of guys to girls is really bad? i dont do engineering at school but i no that thers like 1 girl n like "n" guys
you dont have to meet girls that are doing your course...youll have a higher chance of befriending a girl if you meet them in different subjects
ie there are girls that do math1131

HSC
pboy_ said:
Ratio's something like 10:1 (well it is at UOW anyway, Id imagine it wouldnt be too different for UNSW), and depending on what type you are doing, that's quite generous!

And yeah, there will be girls doing maths, physics as well...its not all engineering subjects...at least not for first year...

Last edited:

pboy_

HSC
i see. nah i wasnt gonna let that influence my decision. just curious lol.
Hey if u average like between 60-70 for ur assessments through out the year, and do better in the hsc. is it still possible to get a uai round 85-90 or nah?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
like some other people said
marks in your assessment means jackall
just get a decent rank, and kill the externals then youll get 85-90

elfm

HSC
also depends on the level of intelligence of your current year... or if the school is generally good from previous years

pboy_

HSC
is the math n physics related entirely to forces motion and moments n stuff or is it like different kinds of physics?

HSC
That's what it is so far...I mean that's what physics IS all about, after all!

At UOW I do a pure Physics subject with all the science students...And I do math with the all the maths and related students as well. I only do one engineering subject and the other one is a programming one.

It's all generic for now, because they want everyone at a certain level before they can teach you more specific engineering maths in second year, at least thats how it works at uni for me.

pboy_

HSC
i mean u dont learn bout like the theories of relativity and stuff dealing with astrophysics, or do u get to learn that in aerospace engineering?

HSC
Here's my first year physics program.

First session:

Vectors; vector algebra; motion in one dimension; motion in a plane; particle dynamics; work and energy; conservation of energy; conservation of momentum; collisions; rotational kinematics; rotational dynamics; conservation of angular momentum; equilibrium of rigid bodies; simple harmonic motion; gravitation; elasticity; temperature; heat and the first law of thermodynamics; kinetic theory of gases; entropy and the second law of thermodynamics; fluid statics; fluid dynamics.

Second session:

Vectors and their applications; an introduction to the physical laws of electricity and magnetism, leading to an explanation of the generation of electromagnetic waves and some basic ideas in communication theory. Electric charge and Coulomb's law, electric fields, potential differences, capacitance, dielectrics and relative permittivity, electric current, resistance, Ohm's law.
If you look at that, there's hardly any astrophysics and all that there. I'd imagine if you did aeronautical they would have another physics topic for you guys to study. I do electrical and they don't offer aeronautical at my uni so im not entirely sure.

pboy_

HSC
so the first session encompasses general physics related to engineering and the second session talks bout ur specific engineering type? man i hope i get into this lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)