Titration (1 Viewer)

Dragie

HSC
Hey guys n girls, I need a thorough definition on what Titration really is. I have some knowledge of it but it's a bit sketchy so I'm hoping some of you can clear it up...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Titration is a volumetric analytical technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a solution of accurately known concentration. The concentration is determined by working out the volume of the accurately known concentration of substance needed to neutralise the the solution of unknown concentration. By writing out the equation of the two solutions reacting and working out the number of moles, we can then find the concentration of the solution with the unknown concentration.
Anyone else can feel free to add to my explanation. ;)

Last edited:

annabananna88

HSC
hey i know this sounds stupid..... but i really aint thinking at the moment...
In titration, what are the dependend and independent variables? Ive been looking at stuff thats been telling me a range of diffferent answers which has just confuzzled me.... so any help would be awesome

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The independent variable is the volume of the titrant (solution in the burette), while the dependent variable is the pH of the solution (which changes depending on the composition of the two solutions).

JJ-51

HSC
Riviet said:
The independent variable is the volume of the titrant (solution in the burette), while the dependent variable is the pH of the solution (which changes depending on the composition of the two solutions).
The pH of which solution?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Sorry about not being specific on the dependent variable, basically I was referring to the pH of the final solution in the conical flask with the indicator in it.

fhilacio

HSC
mm i have a pract exam for this on friday and im just wondering what i need to write for the discussion part of the pract... do i just talk about accuracy of the equipment and sources of errors?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
fhilacio said:
mm i have a pract exam for this on friday and im just wondering what i need to write for the discussion part of the pract... do i just talk about accuracy of the equipment and sources of errors?
You should definitely discuss sources of errors, try and go into detail where possible, rather than listing all the possible errors. Also you should suggest ways to improve the experiment, e.g using more accurate equipment [although in a titration, the equipment used are very accurate, ie the pipette and burette].

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
  • Were your methods valid?
  • Were your results reliable?
Validity - Correct use of equipment. Did you blow out the last drop of solution from the pipette? Did you leave the filter funnel in the burette while titrating? Did you clean the equipment appropriately? Do you understand the concept of the equivalence point well enough to know when to stop? And so on.

Reliability - Consistency of results and repetition. How many times did you perform the titration? Did you average all of your results or just the ones that were similar? If your results were inconsistent, what were the causes of the inconsistency?

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
The experiment is said to be valid if the conclusion of the experiment leads to one and only conclusion, i.e. the only thing that will affect your result is your independent variable. Therefore, you need to discuss what variables you controlled in your experiment, for example: concentration and volume of standard solution, temperature, etc.

Dreamerish*~ said:
Validity - Correct use of equipment. Did you blow out the last drop of solution from the pipette? Did you leave the filter funnel in the burette while titrating? Did you clean the equipment appropriately? Do you understand the concept of the equivalence point well enough to know when to stop? And so on.
I think this is more about accuracy than validity.
A valid experiment may NOT be accurate, but an accurate experiment must be valid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)