Titration questions & calculations PLZ HELP (1 Viewer)

lma0

HSC
OK so i have an upcoming titration assessment prac, and i don't know anything about calculations and questions associated with titrations.

what the hell do u do after u perform a titration? what do u calculate? what can u be asked? i'm clueless.

Can u plz give me examples of questions and calculations which r associated with titrations so i can practice them?

lma0

HSC
thanks, how do u work out a chemical equation?

henry08

HSC
N/A
Have a look at the numerous titration related threads in the 'Acidic Enviroemnt' subforum.

Read the textbook, I gurantee you it has everything you need to know about carrying out a titratino and using the relevant equations to calculate the unknown.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
There will be practice questiosn in your text book. You do a titration to find the molarity of an unknown substance. Youll need to pick a relevant indicator close to the end point of what substance you are using ie For strong Acid (HCl) + a stong base (NaOH) use Bromethol blue as changes colour around pH 7 which is ph the end point should be near. Mix up a known standard, ie if you are finding the molarity of NaOH you can use a standard solution of HCl if you know its molarilty (NB: for a standard solutions its best to use something that doesnt react with air and can be obtained in its pure form for more reliable results) rinse a burette and pitete with your known solution before filling the burete. Rinse a conical flask with distilled water and put a 25ml aliqout of your unknown into it add a few drop of the indicator and a magnetic stirring rod if you are lucky otherwise just swirl the contents, slowly add the solution from the burete into the conical flask until it changes colour and repeat a few times, taking the vaule of how much known was required.

As for the calulations you disregrad any vaules which are a bit away from the bullk ie if you get 23.2 23.4 23.0 and 24.2 dont use the 24.2
Find the average of these values and its the mls of known needed which is used in the following formula
Concetration of Acid x Volume of Acid = Concentration of Base + Volume of Base (CaVa+CbVb)
eg say you used 0.1 M acid to find the molarity of an unknown base and you used a 25ml Aliqout of unknown it 23.5 mls of acid was required to reach the end point, the calculation would be
23.5x0.1 = 25y (where y is the molarity of base)
y = (23.5x0.1)/25

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)