Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

SBHS4EVER

HSC
IS everyone else doing the titration comp?

If u alredy done it- is 90 minutes sufficient time to do all the titrations with accuracy yet with reliability?
Tah ppl

SBHS4EVER

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I did it in 2001 and 2002.

90 mins is plenty of time to do 3-5 titrations of both the base and the acid EACH. Remember, there are three on a team, and they can all work at the same time.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by SBHS4EVER
If u alredy done it- is 90 minutes sufficient time to do all the titrations with accuracy yet with reliability?
the better you are, the faster you are...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
omg, how fun is it!!! hehehe, we had so much fun last yr.. as sad as it sounds!:p

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Are you people talking about the titration comp at UNSW?

D

d00d

not everyone does it at unsw, my school won it at sydney uni last year. unfortunately i don't think i can keep it up :(

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by SBHS4EVER
IS everyone else doing the titration comp?

Tah ppl

SBHS4EVER
Titration is so hard. i don't understand it :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by asn_princess
what is this titration comp?

when is it held?
where is it held?
its held at all different places. basically u titrate and do calculations and the team with the concentration to 3dp closest to the real one win.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Re: Re: Titration Comp

Originally posted by sugaryblue

Titration is so hard. i don't understand it :(
i find chem hard but when i did the titration comp and we got training for it at lunch i actually understood it! even thou we give up time i think its worth it coz i understand wats goin on!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
lol, did they teach you to how do 1/2 or 1/4 drops to get the endpoint?

In our titration at uni, I keep on finding that when we think we get to the endpoint 'exactly', the phenolphthalein actually clears half an hour later.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by BlackJack
In our titration at uni, I keep on finding that when we think we get to the endpoint 'exactly', the phenolphthalein actually clears half an hour later.
i think it's cos CO2 from the air acidifies it so the colour disappears...a good p-ein endpt should disappear in 2 minutes apparently...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
alright, can someone help me out here.. i think its crap! basically.. u know when u get to the point when u can tell 1 drop is going 2 set it off?? so u read the amount then, and then put the drop in and read it again and its EXACTLY the same amount. so wats the point? if u go a few drops over it won't do much, u'll prolly have the same measurement in the end anyway!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Ideally speaking, you'd try to read to the nearest 0.01/0.02 mL off the burette, judging how far past the 0.1ml markings is the meniscus.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh, ok but STILL, thats so hard!

and also, does the meniscus look different to you when u have the paper behind it to when u dont? coz i actually think its easier to read without paper. 2d ay i had a burette with white already down the back and i dnt like it!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Titration Comp

Originally posted by iambored

i find chem hard but when i did the titration comp and we got training for it at lunch i actually understood it! even thou we give up time i think its worth it coz i understand wats goin on!
What exactly is titration comp? it sounds interesting

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
What exactly is titration comp? it sounds interesting
u know how we do titrating in the acids and bases topic? it's that, but the team who does it the most accurately (supposedly!) and finds the concentration the closest to what it actually is is the winner.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
oh, ok but STILL, thats so hard!

and also, does the meniscus look different to you when u have the paper behind it to when u dont? coz i actually think its easier to read without paper. 2d ay i had a burette with white already down the back and i dnt like it!
It shouldn't be different, but I never use paper anyway. I'm used to having my eyes close and comfortable with the acid/base <5cm away...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)