Tips (1 Viewer)

Joce88

HSC
Hey,
Does anyone have any useful tips or writing techniques they'd like to suggest..
My MW isnt exactly techniquely brilliant to say the least, and any help is more that welcome...
Thanks..:D

gwemma88

HSC
Ha Ha HA! your question is so broad that it makes me laugh!

You want writing tips and techniques?! Have you not listened in class for the last 13 years of school?

I am sorry. I think I am being mean. You want writing tips, in most book shops and libraries they have whole sections on the writing process. Pick up a book.

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Post here or send me what you've got. Each artist establishes their own writing style through practice and getting updates on drafts, redrafts.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ameh said:
Post here or send me what you've got. Each artist establishes their own writing style through practice and getting updates on drafts, redrafts.
Basically what she said.:)

Here is a link to some stuff that goes over writing techniques and so on, but the best thing to do is experiment with whats good for you and then refine it once you've found your way. It seems like you've had quite a few volunteers already, but I'll put my hand up as well and offer any advice on your work. Seriously though, practice makes perfect.:)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Joce88 said:
Hey,
Does anyone have any useful tips or writing techniques they'd like to suggest..
My MW isnt exactly techniquely brilliant to say the least, and any help is more that welcome...
Thanks..:D
I have some suggestions that may give you a creative boost:

1) find one work from three to four authors with different writing styles that you like.
For example, a lyrical writer (like Tolkien), a romantic writer (like Gibran), an
intellectual writer (like Austen), a "dry" writer (like Orwell).
2) photocopy one chapter from each of the works, and spend a day on each one:
underline sentences, extended descriptions, or paragraphs that appeal to you, or
simply strike you as well written.
3) have a go at breaking down the structure of each authors writing, aspects of their
style, their idiosyncracies - consider how each author manages to evoke a
particular feeling or idea through the language they use. Write down what you
observe.
4) devote a day to writing a segment of your major work in the various writing styles
you have observed. You may find you feel easier writing a certain way, or that you
can succesfully combine different aspects with your own aesthetic as a writer.
5) consider the concept, the themes and the atmosphere of your major work - ask
yourself - what am I trying to create? What do I want the reader to feel here?
Instead of aping any one author, assimilate and learn from each authors use of
language. This is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to expand your expressive
range.

PS, gwemma88 - do you often treat people who ask for help with contempt?

gwemma88 said:
Ha Ha HA! your question is so broad that it makes me laugh!

You want writing tips and techniques?! Have you not listened in class for the last 13 years of school?

I am sorry. I think I am being mean. You want writing tips, in most book shops and libraries they have whole sections on the writing process. Pick up a book.

Last edited:

gwemma88

HSC
goldendawn said:
gwemma88 - do you often treat people who ask for help with contempt?

No, i am usually very helpful actually. I think i was just in a crabby mood. But you have to admit... that question was so broad it was funny.

Ok well to make up for my apparent contempt... there is a really excellent (but quite expensive) book titled "the 3 am Epiphany" by an author who i cant remember. (google it) If i remember right the author is a lecturere or teacher and the book is full of all these writing exercises. it is really very good.

I apologise for being mean.

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
Here are some handy tips.

Write dialogue in a made up language.

Hold the pen between your teeth.

Work out your favourite words starting with each letter of the alphabet and use them.

Look at some graffiti use it as the first word of your story.

Try writing backwards.

Write in big fonts so it looks like you've done heaps.

Steal someone elses major work.

Do nothing and claim you did it in invisible ink.

adambra

HSC
Tips from my own experience:
Don't be intimidated by those people that supposedly have a flair with language.
Don't aim for something you know you can't achieve. Don't attempt a post modernist analysis of the radical shift in literary technique in the romantic period preceeding the dramatisation of my balls just cos it sounds teh ownage.
Remember: Verbosity does not equal sophistication.
A well constructed sentence is superior to one with big words.
Have a central theme: try to weave in simple techniques like extended metaphors or motifs.
Have something to say.

And finally, you don't have to put in ridiculous amounts of work to do well. I wrote half my story and edited it after trials and scored 47.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)