Tips to self-improve English writing skills ? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
I'm doing the Advanced English course, and my essay writing skills, and creative writing skills aren't that great. Any tips on how to self improve?

findx

HSC
1. Ask the teacher for a suggest essay structure, if you do not know one.
2. For creative writing, write about something you know well, or you are passionate about.
3. Instead of writing heaps of practice essays, look at past essay questions on the topic. Group the ones together that have similar aspects, and then write a practice on that. If that makes sense. haha
4. And look for essays which top students have written, and try to make it your own

irenefu

HSC
haha awesome tips , thanks :) how about improving sentence structure?xD

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
haha awesome tips , thanks :) how about improving sentence structure?xD
Can you post some examples of what you've written in the past? Maybe a few paragraphs?

irenefu

HSC
Can you post some examples of what you've written in the past? Maybe a few paragraphs?
The concept of belonging is very complex, and involves the intricate integration of unity, identity, conformity, spiritual connections, and the sense of being part of something bigger than one self. Often, sacrifices are necessary to achieve this, which is reflected in “St Patrick’s College”. Written in hindsight, the poem details his journey as a student at the relatively prestigious school, which Skrzynecki was ‘privileged’ to attend. In this poem, it was the sacrifice on the mother’s part which was required to attain her perception of “what was best” for her son, a very clichéd term. The membership to belong to this school are “fees and expenses” to which the mother gave “never a thought”, as the school’s uniform is a symbol of future potential, prestige, and the “best”. The tone implies she never thoroughly thought through her choice, as her hasty decision was being swayed by the aesthetic appearance of the uniforms. From Skrzynecki’s other poems, her sacrifice most likely encompassed tedious amounts of labour and hardship for her son to gain something from this school.

It's really shitt, haha. =_=

If you are having trouble at essay structure, have a look at this. One of the best guides ever, well for me it works.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=257183
thankyou so much :) wish I found this in Year 10 or something.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Theres alot of story telling in this particular response if you want to acheive the higher bands dont story tell. Get to the point. the markers know what the story is about, you need to extrapolate ideas and explain how they present a theme.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
The concept of belonging is very complex, and involves the intricate integration of unity, identity, conformity, spiritual connections, and the sense of being part of something bigger than one self. Often, sacrifices are necessary to achieve this, which is reflected in “St Patrick’s College”. Written in hindsight, the poem details his journey as a student at the relatively prestigious school, which Skrzynecki was ‘privileged’ to attend. In this poem, it was the sacrifice on the mother’s part which was required to attain her perception of “what was best” for her son, a very clichéd term. The membership to belong to this school are “fees and expenses” to which the mother gave “never a thought”, as the school’s uniform is a symbol of future potential, prestige, and the “best”. The tone implies she never thoroughly thought through her choice, as her hasty decision was being swayed by the aesthetic appearance of the uniforms. From Skrzynecki’s other poems, her sacrifice most likely encompassed tedious amounts of labour and hardship for her son to gain something from this school.

It's really shitt, haha. =_=
That bolded part at the start irks me as it reads more like a list. Only list the themes for belonging that you plan to discuss in your essay.

There is only 6 sentences in that paragraph. Try not to over complicate sentences. It's advanced english, but that doesn't mean you have to say everything in one sentence.

For example

Often, sacrifices are necessary to achieve this, which is reflected in “St Patrick’s College”. Written in hindsight, the poem details his journey as a student at the relatively prestigious school, which Skrzynecki was ‘privileged’ to attend.
Often, sacrifices are necessary to achieve belonging. This is reflected in Skyzynecki's poem “St Patrick’s College”. Written in hindsight, the poem details his journey as a student at the relatively prestigious school, which he was ‘privileged’ to attend.

I dunno. I know it's a rough attempt, but yeah.

Last edited:

oood

HSC
if possible try to find a way of liking/ personally relating to the texts you're doing, your essay arguments will be stronger

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)