tips for newfags (1 Viewer)

fredinhose

HSC
hey newfags

2009er here with some rather remedial advice

got 6's across bio,chem,phys,2umath

for bio:

• theres a guy called ahmad shah ilal? that has really awesome general notes for all bio topics in the core section. He's on BOS resources

• i strongly advise readings from the surfing books to consolidate knowledge

• use BOS resources for any assignments/assessments and to research CASE STUDIES

• research your case studies using multiple textbooks, crosscheck to verify. if you can be bothered, read jacaranda, although 70% of it is pointless commonsense knowledge. if you are in a grind, read spotlight biology

• don't shit yerself, just try and stay in the top 50%~ of your school if your school is top 50...anywhere else (MAC FIELDS YEYEAH) aim for the top 25% and don't fret if you screw up.
chem:

• ahmad shah ilal again. Great notes.

• read conquering chem, surfing and contexts. each are great an their own different ways. BTW theres a shitton of numerical errors in contexts, so be wary and do the questions yourself

• don't shed math marks. these are SIMPLE questions, and people lose marks for being unable to convert unit measures. they are literally GIVING you free marks

• case studies are more integrated in the course than the other sciences, so you probably can check wiki if you're allnightering or grinding w/e, and you can reference BOS for experiments and whatnot
physics:

• very idea based, don't shit yourself if by the end of the year you only have a few formulas and Lenz law up yer head. practice questions consistently and you're fine

• practice formula creation questions and theory behind it (alot of it is conservation of energy)

• jacaranda is OK. i'll leave it at that. use surfing to consolidate

maths

• go through whole book (maths in focus 1 and 2 will get you everything)
exam time:

• trial marks are LOW, don't shit yerself
HSC:

• practice past papers if you have the time (for bio,chem,phys), otherwise just buy/borrow the success one series and grind through the questions and answers
  • YOU MUST PRACTICE MATHS PAST PAPERS
HSC results:

• don't fret over missing out on maths questions. 90% of the cohort can't answer parts here and there, and out of the people that do, most get the wrong answer. from my experience, i left out half of question 10, and ended up with a 95 examination mark. a very hard test is one that is very hard for everyone and not just yourself, so never give up
Basically, study 2 hours a day and you'll be fine, and study 4-6 hours pre-HSC and you'll def get 6's across your sciences and maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)