Tips and advice on how to memorize notes better (1 Viewer)

Dane Red

HSC
Hi i trouble with memorizing a large amount of my notes which usually leads to my responses not being that detailed or specific enough for the marker. I'm wondering if there's any way to improve/fix the issue.

Jos:)

HSC
if learning is something you are really really serious about join iCanStudy by Dr Justin Sung -- its an investment $$$ but i think it is worth it.

chaevely_park

HSC
- understand logical flow; UNDERSTANDING > BRAINWASHING
- use active recall + spaced repetition with Anki, or some other form of flashcard. Just straight reading is NOT helpful because it's not jogging your memory and testing how much you know about a topic.
- lots of practice questions and memorise/become familiar with layout of responses for common qs (especially relevant for maths, science)

hellohowslife

HSC
depends on the subject but what I did for memorising a bunch of eco essays is just walk around for hours while reading the essays (printed not on phone)

chaevely_park

HSC
depends on the subject but what I did for memorising a bunch of eco essays is just walk around for hours while reading the essays (printed not on phone)
My best tip is to use your SENSES - try and stimulate your eyes, ears, mouth, and also engage your body.

When I was memorising English Advanced essays, I would:
- Record myself saying the essay out loud; listening to your own intonations make your essay sound more rhythmic and so it's much easier to memorise
- Listen to the recording, reading and mouthing the words along
- After I get more confident, I speed up the recording and only glance at my essay whenever I forget --> MARK these sections you tend to forget, then if you continue to forget, mark again with a different colour
- Walk around and maybe use your hand gestures to remember

MissKrabappel

HSC
The main problem seems to be that you are trying to memorize your notes word for word, rather than truly understanding the content. This approach to studying can often result in rote learning, which may help with short-term recall, but it is unlikely to lead to a deep understanding of the material. This lack of understanding can show up in your responses not being detailed or specific enough to impress markers. To improve, try to focus less on memorizing and more on understanding the material in a meaningful way. This can involve actively engaging with the material, asking questions, summarizing key points, and connecting new information to prior knowledge. By doing so, you may be able to form a deeper understanding and retain the information for longer.
ΛΛΛ

What Hiva has mentioned here is crucial for a few Subjects such as science and mathematics. When you have accomplished a deep understanding of a particular concept, it allows you to apply that concept to any scenario/question that exams throw at you. Explaining it within your own terms, applying it to practice questions, doing exam papers, etc are all examples which can assist you

member 6003

HSC
in my experience:
for essays, practice writing out a timed essay (this helps memorise quotes the best for me)
for chemistry write down a question, for ex. draw a table of flame tests or smth, and repeatedly go back to it. This is good for a lot of the specific stuff they want you to memorise for some reason.
If you want detailed responses, you should do past papers. I do phys, chem, just memorise common responses maybe by practising them in the way above. Like if you memorise 1 detailed electromagnetic induction question you should be able to answer all the similar types. Ask your teachers if your response is good. My school marked chemistry and physics incredible harshly for HSC as compared to the prelims, even though the answers could have been passed off correct, so the way you write an answer needs to be good even if you conceptually understand it.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
What software would you recommend to develop a deep understanding of the material. I currently use Anki but it is very clearly a spaced repetition, rote memorisation platform. I have tried Notion for a 'slip-box' style of learning but it hasn't really stuck. Most people seem to just write their notes on a Word doc. What would you recommend?

member 6003

HSC
What software would you recommend to develop a deep understanding of the material. I currently use Anki but it is very clearly a spaced repetition, rote memorisation platform. I have tried Notion for a 'slip-box' style of learning but it hasn't really stuck. Most people seem to just write their notes on a Word doc. What would you recommend?
I just wrote questions on onenote and had the answers on another page. highlight the ones you keep getting wrong in red.

I have tried the notion slip box thing but I don't like it, idk why.

For specific notes I use word, I prefer it over google docs. For random notes / unstructured notes made in class or stuff the teacher is saying, I use notion.

I don't think the software matters much, I think you think one is better than the other bc it looks nicer (just a theory), but you should keep your thing organised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)