Timetable Clashes (1 Viewer)

d_elmo

HSC
I know its only early days, but does anyone else have any major clashes in their timetable for next year?... All three of my core units for autumn 2006 clash.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If your cores are clashing, I'd email the unit co-ordinator and tell them, asap, so that they can change the timetable, so there are no clashes between cores. There should never be clashes between cores. There are probably other people in the same situation as you anyway. Due to demand, they'll change it.

Out of curiousity, what subjects are clashing?

For once, nothing of the subjects I want to do in autumn clash! I just gotta find one more subject. And then its move on to spring time :)

d_elmo

HSC
its for the forensic science degree, the electives are biochemistry 1, forensic and environmental analysis and crime and criminal justice.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Ok. I had a quick look at the timetable. And they don't clash. You have to choose ONE of the practicals. You won't be going to them all.

Just email the unit co-ordinator just to make sure. After all, I could be wrong :p They simply have scheduled heaps of practicals / tutorials because they expect a lot of people to be doing the subjects.

d_elmo

HSC
its not the pracs that clash, its the lectures.

if you look on thursday arvo, im supposed to be in 2 lectures at the same time, one in hawkesbury and one in penrith, and then straight after im somehow supposed to make my way to the third one (in hawkesbury).

i think the only real problem is the timing of the penrith lecture...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The subject that is at Penrith, is also taught at Bankstown, which doesn't clash. But if its easier to get to Penrith, I'd get them to change the timetable, or atleast inform them that theres a clash, other people would surely complain as well, especially if they wanted to go to the Penrith campus.

L

LaraB

d_elmo said:
its not the pracs that clash, its the lectures.

if you look on thursday arvo, im supposed to be in 2 lectures at the same time, one in hawkesbury and one in penrith, and then straight after im somehow supposed to make my way to the third one (in hawkesbury).

i think the only real problem is the timing of the penrith lecture...
all you have to do is email the unit coordinator...

if these ar ethe only ones however, you either just have to do what some people do and leave one lecture early and get to the next late which isn't a good idea despite what some people might think..

your only other option is to take night lectures

if they're cores they shouldn't clash and if they're cores, other people will have the same problrm so keep in mind - its only a draft timetable... if lotsa people copmlain they may change it

however at the same time, if there's a whole heap of people with the same problem it's unlikely they'd timetable it like that... also depends on who does the course, by this i mean.. i know my course a lot of units there's several different courses that have the unit as acore so often one will get screwed over in order to please the majority....

but unless the t'table changes your best option is to change campus or do night lectures - if tehre is a lecture time somewhere available that doesn't clash with your others - someone suggested going to Bankstown? - you can complain all you want and they won't care because if one's available it's just a case of tough crap if its not exactly convenient coz of work or whatever, if it's th eonly one available you'll have to take it....

d_elmo

HSC
well the thing is i live in penrith, its a big waste of time and money to drive all the way out to bankstown for a lecture.

d_elmo

HSC
there arent any night lectures either

hopefully they change it....

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
d_elmo said:
well the thing is i live in penrith, its a big waste of time and money to drive all the way out to bankstown for a lecture.
I'd email the unit co-ordinator and inform them that theres a clash between cores. They will have to change it, because there will definately be other people in your course who are in the same position.

This is why its a draft timetable, so they can change subjects if theres clashes between cores.

There wouldn't be night classes for any of these subjects, they aren't popular like the business and law subjects.

L

LaraB

Cape said:
I'd email the unit co-ordinator and inform them that theres a clash between cores. They will have to change it, because there will definately be other people in your course who are in the same position.

This is why its a draft timetable, so they can change subjects if theres clashes between cores.

There wouldn't be night classes for any of these subjects, they aren't popular like the business and law subjects.
lol you really paint a good pic of uni admin lol

friends have been in the same situation and were told unless they can present documentation to prove that they cannot at all attend the lecture at the otehr campus, its tough shit - one's available so you should go to it.

they said the same thing - they live in b lackwton, didnt wanna travel to campbelltown coz of time and money and were told that's no excuse which i totally agree with...

just be prepared to be told to go to bankstown because i mean... if i was the unit coordinator lol i wouldn't be changing timetables around just coz people don't wanna go to bankswton unless is like, 80% of the peopl coz i mean.. you gotta keep in mind - the lecturers have other classes too - they can't just chop n change coz it clashes for you guys when there are other options available...

klh

HSC
but they are enrolled at that campus which means they have the responsibility to change tt's so that all students enrolled a tthat campus are able to attend at that campus. thats why i feel like crap when i have enrolled at parra yet still have to go to penrith for exams....isnt it their obligation?
im gonna hassle my coordinater, you should to!

L

LaraB

klh said:
but they are enrolled at that campus which means they have the responsibility to change tt's so that all students enrolled a tthat campus are able to attend at that campus. thats why i feel like crap when i have enrolled at parra yet still have to go to penrith for exams....isnt it their obligation?
im gonna hassle my coordinater, you should to!
well obviously if it was as simple as changing it they would have - they;re not stupid enough to put cores from one course at times that clash...

as i said, it may be that there are many courses where these units are cores and this is the best they can do....

yes it sucks but as i said - if there's another viable option, they won't necessarily change it since there is another option.

same thing happens with combined law people - my bro had that problem - his non law units clashed with law units and was told more or less tough shit, go to night lectures, coz if they changed it it'd stuff things up for the communications only students ie the majority

they don't have any obligation to put exams at parra - its not like there's anything in the student guides and crap that say "You will have exams at your home campus" so they can do what they want with them - yeah it may be a slight inconvenience but in reality they can do what they want... their only responsibility is to ensure that exams are within the specified exam week since all the 'diclaimers' i suppose is the best word.. that have been appearing on platform web the last year have always said that the only con dition of exams is that they have to put em in the weeks they say they will and its your responsibility to make sure you can attend

klh

HSC
errrrr....ummmm, n'uh, uni's fault...
generally you will have exams at your home campus, thats why you cant turn up to another campus for exams as some campuses use different curriculums [well, it used to].
i understand that its a temporary thing to move it up to penrith for exams, but we should have first preference as students who more or less are paying them and thus expect a certian level of service.
about clashes, yes it is the best they can do, or they could actually have 2 lectures but no, its all aobut fiscal policy and economics but not for education as much. i have no frist week nor last week tutes due to financial constraints. its not tthat they cant, they wont. of course there will always be some clashes, nothing is perfect but i mean no wonder some of the other uniguides rate student satisfaction quite lowly. improving this measure, will likely improve enrolments.
and about double degree's, i reckon they should just stick to doing one degree first before the other instead of mixed or at least mixed ofr first years to do the intros so you can make a decision of going on with both or dropping one.this clashes cause stress and such....

L

LaraB

klh said:
errrrr....ummmm, n'uh, uni's fault...
generally you will have exams at your home campus, thats why you cant turn up to another campus for exams as some campuses use different curriculums [well, it used to].
i understand that its a temporary thing to move it up to penrith for exams, but we should have first preference as students who more or less are paying them and thus expect a certian level of service.
about clashes, yes it is the best they can do, or they could actually have 2 lectures but no, its all aobut fiscal policy and economics but not for education as much. i have no frist week nor last week tutes due to financial constraints. its not tthat they cant, they wont. of course there will always be some clashes, nothing is perfect but i mean no wonder some of the other uniguides rate student satisfaction quite lowly. improving this measure, will likely improve enrolments.
and about double degree's, i reckon they should just stick to doing one degree first before the other instead of mixed or at least mixed ofr first years to do the intros so you can make a decision of going on with both or dropping one.this clashes cause stress and such....
you missed my point - i said that there is nothing guaranteeing that exams WILL ALWAYS be at your home campus - u says "generally they will" - which just agrees with what i said as generally means not always so as i said that the only guarantee we are given is that they will be within the specified weeks... unless you can show me where it syas "ALL uni exams will be at your home campus" then i am not wrong - the uni is not at 'fault' becuase they njever h ad a responsibility to put em at the home campus to start with.....
yeh there's financial constraints but again - not the uni's fault... if u wanna blame someone blame the lack of government funding lol

they can't just have two lectures because that would create clashes for lecturers - unless you can find a way to run lectures without them.... timetables aren't just fitted around students - if there's no lecture avaiuloable the lecture won't run at that time.... lecturers have the same problems with having to travel between campuses n crap that we do.... so its not just about money - if they're timetabled on other classes, they can't just add in lectures... plus then there are also issues of room availability....

i don't know anyone who has 1st or last week tutes and not having them doesn't mean we miss out on stuff - i know that mine and the majority of people i know it's got nothin 2 with finances - tute's 'explain' the lecture - 1st lecture is just an intro, last lecture is just an outline of exams - there's no point in a tute for these so there's no problem there.. and its not just UWS either so i doubt its purely financially based

no - doing one degree first and one last does not work.... that's why they do it the way they do....and besides - we graduate from the 1st one 3rd year anyway just like the rest of the course does so it doesn't make a difference....and plenty of people drop it after 1st year - 4 units of a course is well entruly enough to see if you think it'll be shit boring or not..... i don't know anyone doing combined law which is the main combined degree at uws who is stressed about clashes - there's few clashes... you might get teh odd one but frmo the amount of bitychin n whingin bout clashes everyone else does it sounds like single degrees are worse so i don't see how that's relevant...

i doubt timetable clashes have to do with our negative rep - most hs students don't even know how timetable's work... i get a feeling that low UAI entries, young uni, located in western suburbs, lack of subjects like medicine, high % of courses like nursing etc have waaaaaay more to do with bad enrolments than timetable clashes..... no high school student honestly cares about timetables when selecting a uni..perhaps mature age students etc may but still i doubt that's a major fatocr in which uni you pick.. no one i know even considered it and i doubt anyone here did..

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Oh, everyone just loves the admin, don't they :p

Chances are about 99% that they will change the timetable, they always do and always will. Theres always going to be clashes, but if they are informed about it, then they can change it.

I have first week and last week tutes, but thats because enviro and agri students are special :)

Thats all :D

klh

HSC
but thats the thing, you dont need lecturers lecturing...i mean they can hire tutorers who teach better than lecturers thus utilising hteir skills effectivley.
yes, i agree that there is no guarantee but since generally means, most of the time, its already ingrained and an expectation, changes will cause stress.
its both, money and management, i mean med school, new building, new library? better to invest in new tech, books and services to increase strudent intake rather than fancy it up to do that.

tutorials are a great way to put theory into practice, id rather tutes than lectures as we get to talk in groups, discuss etc. my lecturer says its due to financial as they dont want to pay for extra tutes that they think are useless. but the good lecturers still use that time for us and it seems unfair to them and a disadvantage to students who need further info.

fair enough about the law one, i dont know much about it...you grad after 3 years is ok.

so student satisfaction is determined by uni rep etc. i disagree, as its the admin that everyone gets really hyped up upon which affects the responses to those surveys. i mean i like teh students i interact with, and when poele say things aobut uws, i say go to hell, uni is uni. also its the past that further made the uni look like crap, bad policies, bad management, bad funding and then all the other crap that happened around the uni like drugs, crime etc. uws has changes alot for the better, yet still suck at some things.

Angel45

HSC
LaraB said:
same thing happens with combined law people - my bro had that problem - his non law units clashed with law units and was told more or less tough shit, go to night lectures, coz if they changed it it'd stuff things up for the communications only students ie the majority
that's what I have to do :S evening class for contracts 8-10... my communication units all clash with contracts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)