• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Times Higher Education 2005 World Rankings: USyd ranked higher than UNSW (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
UK leaps to global success

British universities are the biggest winners in The Times Higher's 2005 World University Rankings, published this week.

Harvard University is again the world's top institution, with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology number two in the rankings, which gauge the views of academics from across the world. But Cambridge and Oxford universities come in third and fourth places, up from sixth and fifth respectively last year, as part of a general increase in the standing of UK institutions.
Sydney Uni beats UNSW

The University of Sydney has overtaken the University of NSW on a list of the top 200 universities in the world.

Seventeen local universities made the Times Higher 2005 World University Rankings, putting Australia third behind the US, with 54, and Britain, with 24.

Last year the University of NSW was ranked 36th and its older rival, the University of Sydney, 40th. This year the University of NSW slipped to 40th and Sydney moved up to equal 38th.
the Ranking Tables will be online Monday.

one should probably take this with a pinch of salt. it doesn't mean much to your average undergraduate.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
And so we bloody well should be.

syslink

HSC
OMG YEH IT DOES THIS NOW MEANS THAT YOUR UNSW GRAD IS GONNA GET OWND WHEN HE/SHE IS UP AGAINST A USYD GRAD APPLYING FOR SOME SHIT JOB AT MACQ BANK!!111

On the contrary, I agree with Frigid.

phrred

HSC
wow so close..... shows how little difference it makes if u go to usyd or unsw

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
I have stated before how stupid all such rankings are - I can't be bothered to find the link to my post discredting the methodologies of these surveys - yes, let's remember they are just surveys - but you all know how to use the search function to find the post.

Let's just forget about it all.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ManlyChief said:
Naughty person - show some humility!
heh, don't worry about it, it's just typical USyd arrogance

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Or it could be a joke.

Like you.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Minai said:
geez Minai, given your usual impartiality (well, the most that can be expected of anyone anyway), i didnt think you would throw a careless comment like that based on a post by people who usually fly the usyd arrogance flag high anyway.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
geez Minai, given your usual impartiality (well, the most that can be expected of anyone anyway), i didnt think you would throw a careless comment like that based on a post by people who usually fly the usyd arrogance flag high anyway.
Clearly you need to hang around here more often. A USyder would buttsecks himself if he could.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
alright. so i was being a tad too idealistic

and rhapsody, i go to usyd and hang around the usyd forum often so yeah, i know those "characters" reasonably well...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, the last ten or so posts have basically proved the point.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha so funny to watch people dismiss the rankings because

a) It's Shit
b) It's Shit
c) It's Shit

I'm sure if they conducted their own rankings, UNSW would be ahead of USYD and it'd be the most accurate rankings too. The Times and Shanghai Rankings just can't be compared... lmao...

O BTW... I am not from a NSW uni so no need to flame my USYD Arrogance with a capital A.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Minai said:
lol, the last ten or so posts have basically proved the point.
Even if I accepted that, do you really think 10 or even 100 or even 1,000 out of 45,000+ really proves anything?

I am sure, if I were inclined to do so, it would be easy to find a thread in which 10 or so UNSW, UTS, UWS, UoW students 'arrogantly' speak highly of their respective unis ... That, however, would not 'prove' a generally applicable characterisation of 'arrogance'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)