Time Management: Study Vs Homework (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Alright, probally the only decent thing I have heard from various lectures/hand outs on year 12 is that study and homework are different things, and that study time doesn't equal homework time.

At the moment my only study is staying behind school for 2-3 hours with a group of 1-3 friends and looking over study guides, doing practise tests, completing some school work and writting notes.

Unfortuantley, this amount of study isn't sufficent for me (I think in HSC terms i'm doing 12 units [4 of maths, 2 chem, 2 physics, 2 english and 2 economics?]) so I need to do atleast like 30 mins of each a night (adding up to another 2 and a half hours.)

With 1 hr break for dinner, i'm up to around 8:00-9:00 PM now.

Now I have no time for homework?

How do you keep a study timetable with respect to homework?

(I am aiming for a UAI of 90-100)

EDIT: I just ordered my Dell XPS M1530 (Laptop) which i will have in a week, should help with study?

Last edited:

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
I don't really get much homework from school and most of it I do in my free periods/class.

Study for me is writing thorough notes, shortening them into dot points, then writing walls of text. If I have time I do past hsc/teacher's essay questions (we have a whole list to work on).

Laptop won't help ^^

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Stuff homework. Most of the time its a waste of time. I never did it. But, I did study and so should you. Studying is much more important.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Ratio of "homework" as opposed to "study" (unrequired work) should be 4:1.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
^Agreed. The amount of homework I get is unbelievable sometimes, and I've only been able to study for my half-yearlies a week ago.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
You should be prioritising study before homework. That's what I did. And that is only my opinion though.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
You should be prioritising study before homework. That's what I did. And that is only my opinion though.
Yeah thats fair enough,

Thing is i'm an artistic learner, I love anaylisising and comparing my results, I have a graph of all my subjects in my room, how much % I have completed of the course (eg. about 15% of applicable maths on the X axis) against my % i got in the test on the y axis. Its good for finding trends and for exams easy to find where to proritise on work i didn't do so well in.

So yeah, homework really fucks me up as its a variable, this weekend I have ~15 hrs to do of my english project, ~2 hrs of calculus and i really dont have the time so homework eats into my study time :S

Looks like i should become more lazy with unrequired homework, pretty sure that teachers will understand lol.

me121, what did/do you do about chapter work? Do you just keep up with the class and work a bit at home?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Studentleader said:
text book work sorry
Well, I didn't to questions or problems from the text book. (maths i did a couple here and there, but not every single one). But I did read the text book.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
text book work sorry
Well in my classes at the moment the only subjects where text books are used is Maths. We have text books for all subjects but we don't really need to bring them to class.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Well in my classes at the moment the only subjects where text books are used is Maths. We have text books for all subjects but we don't really need to bring them to class.
lol :l

5/6 of my classes i need text books :S

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I regard 'study' and 'homework' as separate entities. Even if it is called 'homework' I tend to complete at school and minimise the amount of homework that I do at home. Instead of doing homework, I study. I study and basically revise. I just do not wish to amalgamate my study patterns with homework that I can complete at school.

Therefore, if I can complete homework at school, I just do it at school. No need to take it home and do it.

tommykins said:
Ratio of "homework" as opposed to "study" (unrequired work) should be 4:1.
Where did you get that kind of idea?

All my teachers say homework is "minimum" and tell us to do few hours more than that. I think your ratio should be reversed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
We usually know what homework we have to do at the end of the lesson, and by then its too late to actually complete it during school time. And I wouldn't spend my recess or lunch time doing math exercises :S

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
It also depends on the subject you're studying/doing homework for. For subjects such as Maths, where knowledge needs to be applied, I would regard homework as being more important than studying. Knowing formulas and such is no good if you don't know how to apply them to problems and the best way to learn that is by doing the questions in the textbook (which should be your homework anyway). This is especially true if you're doing 4u maths.

Ditto for calcuation problems in Chemistry and Physics. However, the majority of the time would be spent studying: ie - revising, making notes and looking ahead (if possible). Besides, I find that teachers tend to ease up on the homework in science subjects and just expect you to study at home. However, you should always write up the practicals ASAP.

English is always studying - I never got any homework for it. So, know your related texts well, make thorough notes, etc., etc.

I didn't do economics, so I can't give opinions on that.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
o.bi.sess said:
It also depends on the subject you're studying/doing homework for. For subjects such as Maths, where knowledge needs to be applied, I would regard homework as being more important than studying. Knowing formulas and such is no good if you don't know how to apply them to problems and the best way to learn that is by doing the questions in the textbook (which should be your homework anyway). This is especially true if you're doing 4u maths.

Ditto for calcuation problems in Chemistry and Physics. However, the majority of the time would be spent studying: ie - revising, making notes and looking ahead (if possible). Besides, I find that teachers tend to ease up on the homework in science subjects and just expect you to study at home. However, you should always write up the practicals ASAP.

English is always studying - I never got any homework for it. So, know your related texts well, make thorough notes, etc., etc.

I didn't do economics, so I can't give opinions on that.
Good response thanks :)

So your saying with subjects (like physics) you have 2 components:

Theory and Formulas

Formulas are what you do for homework and theory is what you study? (bit of interlapping i know, i wouldn't just study theory)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Studentleader said:
Good response thanks :)

So your saying with subjects (like physics) you have 2 components:

Theory and Formulas

Formulas are what you do for homework and theory is what you study? (bit of interlapping i know, i wouldn't just study theory)
but in hsc physics, the calculations are pretty basic most of the time. most are just plug and chug. i prefer to do past paper questions rather than those from text books, because the past paper ones are more representative of what you will get in exams and your hsc.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
but in hsc physics, the calculations are pretty basic most of the time. most are just plug and chug. i prefer to do past paper questions rather than those from text books, because the past paper ones are more representative of what you will get in exams and your hsc.
Yeah,

last year they combined all the heating+cooling with electricity and motion in the exam (which no one had experience with) so everyone fucked up :S

Looking at some of the chem questions, they are pretty different compared to school books

SpoonSamba

HSC
OMG you do so much work!

i think do your homework, then study. But if the homeworks not really helpful just do it crap i do most of mine in homeroom lol. BUT it is useful in consolidating your knowledge and if you do your homework you don't have to study so hard later because you know and understand the content.

And I think you study too much anyway, 20 minutes a night a subject is heaps at this stage. But I admire your discsipline, my mum wishes i had some of that sigh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)