Time given between assessment notification and the assessment (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
Standard english at our school had to re-do our most recent assessment (Two 5 mark questions and an extended response), becuase of alleged rumours of an English teacher giving some or all of his class the questions beforehand.
We redid the task on tuesday, with a different essay-type question given to us a week earlier.

The day after redoing this task, we recieved a notification for yet ANOTHER assessment, part one being held wednesday of week 11 (6th April) and part two next term.

Because we had to redo our last assessment, and that we didn't know we had two assessments on this term (We recieve a term planner stating when each assessment is due for every subject and this most recent assessment wasn't on there), do you think we could appeal to hold the assessment early next term instead?
Everyone I've spoken to that does Standard English is annoyed and just wants a break from English assessments for a little while.

Danoz The Great

HSC
It turned out to be crappy rumours about the teacher, a trusted friend tells me.

It's just so annoying redoing a task and then the day after that recieving an assessment for another one.

And also the fact that we didn't even know of this assessment being this term.

Just shits me, that's all.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
yer that is shitly, althou i had 4 assesments in 1 week, on essay due 4 english the monday.
then wednesday a prac and exam 4 bio in da morning, in da avo a exam 4 chem then a pract exam and presintation 4 phys on da friday... that is shity althou we got notice

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
dani_danoz said:
Because we had to redo our last assessment, and that we didn't know we had two assessments on this term (We recieve a term planner stating when each assessment is due for every subject and this most recent assessment wasn't on there), do you think we could appeal to hold the assessment early next term instead?
If you have been given at least two weeks notice, the school is probably in the clear.

However, having said that, if you urged all of your classmates to approach the subject coordinator and express their unhappiness with the new assessment scheme, I'm sure they would try to listen to your concerns.

Make sure you have actual reasons though. :) Your teachers will also have reasons. It will likely require a bit of negotiation.

MiniT

Merlin The Sorcerer
Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun
HSC
at my school we get agiven a term scaffold that outlines all the assessment tasks that we will be getting and on which days they will occur, in addition we also get a formal note 2 weeks in advance. If you have grounds for appeal then you should see the Head Teacher of English, get a petition going on and involve some mums ^_^.

Cab31

HSC
What grounds are you appealing on exactly? I mean the fact that the assessments are close together isnt going to hold up because they will tell you that "managing time is all apart of year 12". Just do the best you can, and if u REALLY feel u have been affected, put in a misadventure form and let the principle deal with it.

eViLnUt

Cardplayer
HSC
i fink the rules are that u must b given notification of da assessment at least 2 WEEKS before the assessment is due or held...anythin that fits that criteria is 'legal'...

Danoz The Great

HSC
Well, they've given the assessment notification 13 days prior to the assessment - maybe I could complain that it wasn't two weeks? :p haha

I've been talking to some people and they all seem pretty annoyed with it, so I think we might have to have a discussion with the staff soon.

I'll keep y'all posted. Cheers all! :D

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Ouch, you poor thing :( hope you'll be OK.

Our school says 2 weeks, and they usually stick to it. However, we just got a software assignment, which would mean we'd only have had 11 days notice, and so we complained, and we may get an extension to next term **fingers crossed** I sincerely hope so as I miss the last day of school due to our school's music tour, and I would only get 10 days to do a whole portfolio of work. Though it wouldn't help me an awful lot as I'm away all holidays in Europe playing violin and singing (and shopping)

Abbeygale

HSC
JamiL said:
yer that is shitly, althou i had 4 assesments in 1 week, on essay due 4 english the monday.
then wednesday a prac and exam 4 bio in da morning, in da avo a exam 4 chem then a pract exam and presintation 4 phys on da friday... that is shity althou we got notice
Were they all HSC assessments? I was told at a HSC lecture that they aren't allowed to give us more than 3 HSC assessments in one week, aside from the midcourse.
I'd rather like my money back if that was a lie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)