• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ticks and marks (1 Viewer)

bettina44

HSC
i recently got my half yearly results for english back and was looking at my essay. i was looking at it and my teacher kind of went ticking crazy, ticking pretty much every line in my six page essay. all up there were 90 ticks for only a 13/15 essay???? do the maths and that's roughly 1 mark = 7 ticks or 105 ticks = 15/15
doesn't one tick usually equal 1/4 to 3 marks or something ike that? anyone else have teachers who tick a lot?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol weired... My teacher only does about 2 ticks per mark i think... well for a 10 mark essay its usually 1-2 ticks per paragraph

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tick doesn't mean much really. 10 ticks =/= 10 marks.

LordPc

HSC
lol, yea ticks dont mean anything. last year, there was a teacher that went tick crazy, 20 per page in a creative. in the end only managed to get 9/15 or something like that, despite the plethora of ticks.

its annoying I know. much easier to improve when teachers tick the things that they are giving you marks for

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
when my english teacher gave a tick, it meant she had thought you had made a great/valid point/sentence/paragraph ie its only to show you that you are on the right track, the ticks can show you what parts of your essays are great and what needs fixing up

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
when my english teacher gave a tick, it meant she had thought you had made a great/valid point/sentence/paragraph ie its only to show you that you are on the right track, the ticks can show you what parts of your essays are great and what needs fixing up
dot on

bettina44

HSC
i know that they aren't a precise indication of marks but you would think that a something with a million ticks would score higher than something with only one.

tku336

HSC
our teachers are not friendly in terms of ticks.

my 22/25 creative for 3 unit english got 3 ticks in total, spread over 7 pages. so thats about 7 marks per tick. its so frustrating.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
this.

jet

Banned
HSC
yeah. With our english teacher, the only ticks which count are double ticks, which means that she really really really likes your point.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Some teachers seem to think that ticks will cheer up a student whose recieved a bad mark. I got 16/20 for my Module A exam, and the thing was covered in ticks, and bloody smiley faces too (my teacher does that...)

More off-puting than comforting in my opinion...

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
my economics teacher gives ticks for things that you have heard her say and then written down for her to read again in an essay. however, ticks are rarely correlated with marks in my experience =[

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
have they ever? someone was mentioning some form of tick=1/3 mark convention. unlikely.

RuffWoof

HSC
there is no exact correction between number of ticks to number of marks. Ticks simply mean a valid point. Man, this thread is pointlessly unproductive.

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
To be perfectly honest, with me, it depends with both the subject and the teacher. In English the number of ticks / the number of marks appear to have no relevance whatsoever, so I'm going to say, as put earlier, if they happen to like the way we've expressed something, it will be ticked. However, in my social science subjects (with the exception of LST) generally one tick will equal between 1 - 3 marks. Same goes for back when I did VA.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
The only subjects in which I notice a connection between ticks and marks are maths, physics and my German/German ext. (aka all languages I'm guessing...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)