Thoughts on the new phone policy? (1 Viewer)

thatnameistaken

HSC
Premier Chris Minns has started banning phones in all high schools starting next term.
The reason he gave was that it meant better test results, reduced incidents of bullying and increased social interaction.
A lot of people use their phones to check timetables and make canteen payments but will they still be allowed?
Furthermore will laptops and tablets be allowed.
because no devices = no music.
Do you think its going to be effective?

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Premier Chris Minns has started banning phones in all high schools starting next term.
The reason he gave was that it meant better test results, reduced incidents of bullying and increased social interaction.
A lot of people use their phones to check timetables and make canteen payments but will they still be allowed?
my school has had a phone ban for a few years... I do think it has been really beneficial actually

thatnameistaken

HSC
my school already had a phone ban from last year but you were still allowed to use them in the canteen and in the last 5 min to check timetable. laptops and tablets were always allowed but i have heard its going to be banned next term

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
i have had this at my school since year 7. it is really effective, and it feels normal after like a couple weeks.

carrotsss

HSC
we’ve had it this year, the enforcement isn’t ever gonna be perfect and we sorta got let off the hook as year 12s but I think for juniors it helped a lot

scaryshark09

HSC
just print timetable or check on laptop
canteen payments - your school can make a card for you to use thats connected to a canteen account, or just use cash or physical debit card idk whats common anymore lmao
laptops will still be allowed sure, but mainly for in class ig
listen to music on laptop
i dont really like tech in generall, so i like it cause it forces you to be social ig. however, people find ways to sneak on their phones

carrotsss

HSC
just print timetable or check on laptop
canteen payments - your school can make a card for you to use thats connected to a canteen account, or just use cash or physical debit card idk whats common anymore lmao
laptops will still be allowed sure, but mainly for in class ig
listen to music on laptop
i dont really like tech in generall, so i like it cause it forces you to be social ig. however, people find ways to sneak on their phones
canteens have been a problem at my school bc more people bringing cards to school = more lost cards, one of my friends lost 50 bucks recently bc he dropped his debit card at school

scaryshark09

HSC
at my school, we just use our student id card to pay, idk how it words but its connected to an online account which is connected to debit/credit card

thatnameistaken

HSC
we used to have online ordering at school but the new canteen that came this year said that high schoolers dont use it anymore and that you would need to use cash. also its easier to lose a card than a phone.

Anaya R

HSC
I think the effectiveness comes from how willing teachers are to enforce the rules. I know many teachers would be (it's a distraction) but obviously there's going to be resistance, particularly from kids who are willing to take a distraction from anything (e.g. kids playing Tetris on their computers during class). The benefits are reaped based on how these rules are enforced. (I say this as someone who's school had a blanket ban on phones from the beginning itself)
I know it's going to be interesting as a PST to come and do pracs in these times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)