Thoughts on the new Fitzpatrick textbook? (1 Viewer)

a1079atw

HSC
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what do you guys think about the new Fitzpatrick textbook published in October this year. (This one)
Our teacher said the difficulty level is just right - Cambridge too hard and Patel too easy (we don't use Terry Lee. I've bought one myself but found the explanation and solution quite confusing)
Should I buy it? And if so, should I buy the Student Worked Solutions as well?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what do you guys think about the new Fitzpatrick textbook published in October this year. (This one)
Our teacher said the difficulty level is just right - Cambridge too hard and Patel too easy (we don't use Terry Lee. I've bought one myself but found the explanation and solution quite confusing)
Should I buy it? And if so, should I buy the Student Worked Solutions as well?
Patel is easy. Cambridge is medium difficulty. For e4, you should look at using Terry Lee more. However, use what the teacher gives you as you will most likely benefit more that way, or ask your teacher to have a quick look through terry lee with you and to advise you which textbook is best.

If you have 3 textbooks, you don't need a 4th one.
I had 3 but only used one (Terry Lee) and did Cambridge Complex numbers. That was basically it.

hholbrook

HSC
I have Cambridge, Patel, and the new Fitzpatrick. In my opinion, generally the questions are more difficult in Cambridge, however the range of questions is better in Fitzpatrick and Patel, as it starts off quite simple and works its way to more difficult hsc level questions. In terms of explanation of concepts, Fitzpatrick is the superior book, with good, detailed and understandable explanations.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Does anyone recommend getting it? (Or against it? Please share thoughts!!)

I have terry lee, Cambridge (Sydney grammar one + Arnold's, but I find the latter not very good) and Patel I think. Not sure if I'll be using all of them, but I got them cheap at a textbook sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hholbrook

HSC
From my experience with it so far, Fitzpatrick is a really good book, so I would recommend it

a1079atw

HSC
Patel is easy. Cambridge is medium difficulty. For e4, you should look at using Terry Lee more. However, use what the teacher gives you as you will most likely benefit more that way, or ask your teacher to have a quick look through terry lee with you and to advise you which textbook is best.

If you have 3 textbooks, you don't need a 4th one.
I had 3 but only used one (Terry Lee) and did Cambridge Complex numbers. That was basically it.
Really? I'm not quite used to Terry Lee's question style, I think it's more.. concept-based? like, trying to prove this and that, which I find so annoying since I never know how to do it lol
On the other hand Cambridge has more exam-style questions, imo.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Really? I'm not quite used to Terry Lee's question style, I think it's more.. concept-based? like, trying to prove this and that, which I find so annoying since I never know how to do it lol
On the other hand Cambridge has more exam-style questions, imo.
Terry Lee's questions are way more exam-style than Cambridge.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Terry Lee's questions are way more exam-style than Cambridge.
+1

Cambridge is very good for development, which is the reason why I left it alone for me to do before uni starts instead lol.

Terry Lee simulates HSC exam questions and sub-sections, by dividing each question into multiple parts.

To be honest, I used Terry Lee solely basically, and will end up with above 85 for sure.

a1079atw

HSC
Wow I see, I learned something new :p Thanks for sharing your experience and I'll try to use Terry Lee more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)