Thoughts on commerce+adv math (actuarial major) (1 Viewer)

zhiying

HSC
So does anyone (best if current students!) have any comments, thoughts etc on this combination:

Commerce with Actuarial Major + Adv. Math with a major I don't know yet

Is it redundant to do adv math and actuarial studies at same time? As far as I know actuarial studies is fairly mathy anyway, I thought doing adv. math would give me an edge later on when finding jobs etc. Please tell me if I'm wrong or it doesn't really do anything.

I love math so I don't think there will be any overload of math :)

Also does anyone have a suggestion of what major in adv. math would go well with actuarial, perhaps statistics/financial?

Any year 12 grads currently thinking of the same combo?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's not redundant to do Actuarial and Adv Maths at the same time because there is little overlap. Actuarial is a bit of maths based on finance and statistics and the like. Maths is maths.

zhiying

HSC
Thanks, thats what I sorta figured. But seeing you have the same combination shadowdude, its a little disconcerning that you want to change LOL, is commerce that bad :(

would actuarial be quite different from say like the normal commerce stuff?

And do employers actually give any sort of preference for double degrees, or are they just like meh

zhiying

HSC
Ah so any reason why you don't want to combine?

Also another question, say I get offered to combined com+adv math, can I change to just comm if I don't feel like the double any more

michaeljennings

HSC
Ah so any reason why you don't want to combine?

Also another question, say I get offered to combined com+adv math, can I change to just comm if I don't feel like the double any more
I was gonna combine as well but I got a co-op scholarship at UNSW for actuarial studies and they only let you do a single degree

zhiying

HSC
OK well that explains a lot... lucky bastard

but congrats anyhow as a mutual friend of James Le please shout me dinner LOL

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
most of you comm/adv maths people who want to major in actuarial studies will end up dropping adv maths anyway since you feel you need to devote more time to your actuarial courses

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
OK well that explains a lot... lucky bastard

but congrats anyhow as a mutual friend of James Le please shout me dinner LOL
James Le from baulko? how is he? i miss him <3

halapenyo

HSC
im doing a b comm (actuarial)/b economics. more flexible than a b comm/adv math. not many jobs you can get with a maths degree.

zhiying

HSC
are you from peak/truong too then, or wayyy back from James an

zhiying

HSC
Woah okay did not know he went there o_O

ok back on topic what makes you think most ppl drop adv. math? is the work load for actuarial that much?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Woah okay did not know he went there o_O

ok back on topic what makes you think most ppl drop adv. math? is the work load for actuarial that much?
mostly because they chose to combine it with adv maths so they "seem smarter" or because adv maths sounds prestigious so they choose it and then they realise they never really liked maths (ironic because they're doing actuarial studies) so they drop it

zhiying

HSC
I see, well I dont really think adv. math is prestigious, I wanna combine it because I want something that gives me an edge later on? Like do employers see a double degree as iono being more versatile?

I'm fairly sure I actually like math so its fine. Worst come to worst like you said I can just drop it. No harm in trying

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Just give it a go then. I reckon you'll do fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)