Thoughts - How did you all find the exam? (1 Viewer)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
lindzapatroid said:
no im pretty sure its the opposite of this...
Well explain the other way that the answer could be "Source B"?!
The question asked for the smallest scale
Source b had the biggest number on the RHS ie. 1:biggest number
It had the least amount of detail.
Source B is correct and suits everything i said.

The opposite to what i said would be:
"The bigger sthe scale, the smaller the number, the more detail"
Which would also be correct.

That discussion is already over

lindzapatroid

The_highwayman said:
Well explain the other way that the answer could be "Source B"?!
The question asked for the smallest scale
Source b had the biggest number on the RHS ie. 1:biggest number
It had the least amount of detail.
Source B is correct and suits everything i said.

The opposite to what i said would be:
"The bigger sthe scale, the smaller the number, the more detail"
Which would also be correct.

That discussion is already over
"A large scale map refers to one which shows greater detail because the representative fraction" ok your right

HSC
zenger69 said:
i think the geo exam was alrite for skills.....
Same

but the essays questions were really fucked because it was impossible to write the normal length.
I agree, i felt like i wasnt covering everything because i wrote less than what i usually do.

So how did everyone interpret "human impacts influencing nature of the ecosystem"my teacher said it isn't ecological dimensions,
but how the human impacts from "external forces" such as the demand of guest, the changing tourism industry and how they affect the economic enterprise.
eg. because people are taking shorter holidays and visiting relatives, Quay West Hotel has had to market to business customers.
did anyone approach the essay in a different angle?
We did Aquaculture (fish farming) so i talked about the following:
ECOLOGICAL:
- Temperature: Our enterprise grew a tropical species of fish in a temperate climate so had to use insultation on their sheds and a clever roof design to make the temperature right. the fish type also dictated that it had to be an indoor "intensive" enterprise, rather than an outdoor "extensive enterprise"
- Drought: Aquaculture needs water, and because of the recent drought the enterprise's water licence was reduced.

HUMAN IMPACTS: I approached this in a way that looked at POTENTIAL human impacts and how the nature of the enterprise was changed in an effort avoid them.
- Bund Wall: A concrete wall thing that surrounds the enterprise and stops chemicals leeching into waterways.
- Hydroponic system: Uses fish waste to grow vegies. oterwise the waste would have to be removed, treated and them disposed which would require more chemicals, consumption of petrol etc.

That was my essay plan, including diagrams and an explanation of the enterprise.

lindzapatroid

The Highwayman

How did you do in the short answer questions about world cities did u give a definition of them or just talk about character?

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
zenger69 said:

but the essays questions were really fucked because it was impossible to write the normal length.

So how did everyone interpret "human impacts influencing nature of the ecosystem"

my teacher said it isn't ecological dimensions,
but how the human impacts from "external forces" such as the demand of guest, the changing tourism industry and how they affect the economic enterprise.
eg. because people are taking shorter holidays and visiting relatives, Quay West Hotel has had to market to business customers.

i said pretty much the same.....mine was an ecotourism operation, and i said this really swanky line: "rather than constraining the MRC as an economic enterpise, the environment acts as one of its most valuable business partners" :D

I talked about external and internal linkages of human activities as well as changes in human perceptions about ecotourism leading to a net increase in tourist activity in the area blah blah blah

always_smile

HSC
Does any body know what the answer is to question 5 M/C... I got B. One geography teacher got C and my geography teacher got B. Me very confused......

lindzapatroid

always_smile said:
Does any body know what the answer is to question 5 M/C... I got B. One geography teacher got C and my geography teacher got B. Me very confused......
which question was that?

HSC

wwjd_frog14

HSC
doraemon said:
there was no need to talk about your specific ecosystem

that means we wasted all that time studying 2 ecosystems in detail.

there was a need 2 talk bout it coz in the rubric it said 2 refer 2 case studies... :)

and demosthenes i do know darbs, i do business with him...he's a little legend, and not 2 mention the teachers pet in bus. st. lol :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
lindzapatroid said:
which question was that?
the one where you had to find the area of Thomsons lake....everyone either got B or C....i got c

Jazzap

HSC
i thought it was close enough to a proper circle..so i went pie times radius squared (area of a circle..der!!) and that came out very close to 2.3 (which was b yeh??)...

Last edited:

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
zenger69 said:

So how did everyone interpret "human impacts influencing nature of the ecosystem"

my teacher said it isn't ecological dimensions,

na i'm pretty sure it corresponded to the ecological dimensions part
thats where human impacts (on the environment) and environmental constraints come from anyway. if it was external forces they would have said global changes or internal and external inkages or something

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
wwjd_frog14 said:
there was a need 2 talk bout it coz in the rubric it said 2 refer 2 case studies... :)

and demosthenes i do know darbs, i do business with him...he's a little legend, and not 2 mention the teachers pet in bus. st. lol :)
i didnt refer to either of my case studies. but i had examples of other ecosystems. would that be alright? i figured that if they asked to refer to one or both of your particular case studies they would have said that in the question ("with reference to..."). hope i dont get penalised

lindzapatroid

ViRtUaL said:
i didnt refer to either of my case studies. but i had examples of other ecosystems. would that be alright? i figured that if they asked to refer to one or both of your particular case studies they would have said that in the question ("with reference to..."). hope i dont get penalised

it probably depends how much you referred to them..did u do lots of examples?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
ViRtUaL said:
na i'm pretty sure it corresponded to the ecological dimensions part
thats where human impacts (on the environment) and environmental constraints come from anyway. if it was external forces they would have said global changes or internal and external inkages or something
yeh thats what I wrote in the exam cos when i saw environmental contrainsts I automatically started thinking of ecological dimensions.
After the exam the teacher said it was "human impacts influencing the nature of the ecosystem".

I wrote down stuff like:
The hotel uses lots of power and they've employed strategies to save power. These strategies change the nature of the economic enterprise and makes the hotel more "green".
Things like that, just a little bit more sophisticated

gigi_ruff

it says in the rubric to refer to case studies and illustrative examples where necessary, i felt that because it asked "in ecosystems" it was refering to a theory based response backed up by illustrative examples, whereas it would have been specified if it was account for vulnerability and resillience in your ecosystems at risk. or something of that nature

SMITHS HILL GEOG 2005 MAssIVE RESPECT

GIGZ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)