thomsons experiment (1 Viewer)

mat

wat the hell was that xam god it really pissed me off

anyway waht did u guys put for thomos experiment?

answer to 14 is A
READ HERTZ'S EXPERIMENT

Calisc

HSC
He got a CRT and balanced magnetic field with a electric field in such a way that Electrons were able to travel striaght.
He then equated F = eq with F = qvbsin @ and since the angle was known, the strength of the and b field were known, he calculated the velocity. Removing the electric field, he measured the radius that the magnetic field created (r) which then led him to equate F = mv squared with F = qvbsin @. With all the variables except m and q known, he figured out the ratio of charge to mass.

:p

new1

he got a cathode ray tube and applied a voltage difference across it. he made a magnetic field perpendicular to that so the electrons overall experienced no deflection. from that he can figure out the charge/mass ratio.

Eq = qvB

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
chill.. chill....~~~~ it's over.. :)

it's pretty much textbook material... he stuck capacitor plates and coils (electromagnets) around a cathode ray tube, so the forces they produced on the rays directly opposed each other. he varied the fields (the electirc and magnetic) til the rays remained undeflected, then he equated the forces. and got a q/m ratio

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol A is just wrong man

special cathode ray tube blah blah blah helmholtz coil+ || E plates, blah blah

equate E and B forces
qE=qvB
v=E/B

turn off E field
calculate r of deflection by measuring displacement and arc
equate B and centripetal force
mv^2/r=qvB
m(E/B)/r=qB
q/m=E/B^2r

edit: lol shit im a slow typer, maybe typing and talking on the phone isnt a good idea lol:D

Last edited:

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
those people who say that he just equated magnetic and electric field forces, its actually really important to mention that he also turned off the electric field, because otherwise there is no way mathematically he could determine the ratio

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I wrote most of what people here have said but I didn't use any equations:(.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by mat
wat the hell was that xam god it really pissed me off

anyway waht did u guys put for thomos experiment?

answer to 14 is A
READ HERTZ'S EXPERIMENT
This was the question i love actually, as much as I disliked that test. coz it's one of the few that I knew the answers.

smeyo

yeah i did the same as merethround. i wrote the E and B equating then further experiments with magnetic deflection yo derive at q/m

Viper

HSC
The answer to 14 can't be A!!!!

Hertz didn't call them RADIO WAVES, therefore he couldn't have referred to them as radio waves!!! I spoke to my teacher about this question, and we agree that the correct answer is D

Cheers

Last edited:

smeyo

i ahvent talked to my teacher yet, but ill ask my tutor 2morow about it but as far as i know so far it is D an observation

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by walla
actually really important to mention that he also turned off the electric field,
eh... i believe he did magnetic field first.. then applied the electric field to cancel out the deflection

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
doesn't really matter which way you do it t-i-m-m-y...you're just finding values that don't change no matter the order

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
what was it.. a four mark question? they won't be that picky... well i doubt it anyway. i can hardly see someone going "oh u got the order wrong.. only 3 for u~"

Under-stated

Director General
HSC
did you actualy have to give the charge to mass ratio of electron?
that is q/m=1.75x10^11??

william

HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
eh... i believe he did magnetic field first.. then applied the electric field to cancel out the deflection
yes, to measure the radius

from wat ive read.......he equalled them first.....adjusting the electric field so that it can go in straight.......then he took out the electric field...........then again, i dnt think it matters.......as long as he found wat he had to

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Actually he applied the electric field FIRST, then magnetic field... I know so cause my father is a highly commended physics professor from UTS but as long as you pointed out what the point of either one was then you'd be fine :).

Calisc

HSC
Yeah. putting the magnetic field first to measure the radius would be stupid.. as you have to adjust the magnetic field to equal the electric field anyway (i believe he left the electric field constant strength the whole time .. and thus was able to equate mv2/r at the end)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)