• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Thomson experiment question (1 Viewer)

Doosra

HSC
I'm trying to work out a question where you have to use the charge and mass of an electron to determine the velocity of an electron that has been accelerated across a potential difference of 100000 volts.

I can work out the energy using E=qV but then I cant find any equations that will give me the velocity?

I tried to use the kinetic energy equation E = 1/2mv^2 but i got an answer that was almost 60%of the speed of light, which seems rather wrong.

Doosra

HSC
no, that was the problem. If i was given magnetic field strength or initial velocity then it would have been easier.

Klaxon

HSC
Doosra said:
I'm trying to work out a question where you have to use the charge and mass of an electron to determine the velocity of an electron that has been accelerated across a potential difference of 100000 volts.

I can work out the energy using E=qV but then I cant find any equations that will give me the velocity?

I tried to use the kinetic energy equation E = 1/2mv^2 but i got an answer that was almost 60%of the speed of light, which seems rather wrong.
Hey, chances are that you could have this question right. 0.6c is not very fast you know (for an electron anyway).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
oh right, didn't read his post properly.

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)