this years exam - band 6 cutoff? (1 Viewer)

mel- RAVO

Totally agree MIKE

yep mike- you're right!!!

Apparently if you get over 80 once the markers have picked at it for like ages [and i mean before they scale it all up to a reasonable mark] - you're a genius.

So that means most of us will probably get 50-70 something range- before they jack up the marks to fix it.

So i totally agree Mike.

Princesca

HSC
mel- RAVO said:
yep mike- you're right!!!

Apparently if you get over 80 once the markers have picked at it for like ages [and i mean before they scale it all up to a reasonable mark] - you're a genius.

So that means most of us will probably get 50-70 something range- before they jack up the marks to fix it.

So i totally agree Mike.
So i totally hope that's true. did you hear from the chem teachers at school?
naomi btw.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Last year's cut-off for Physics was around 73-76/100 and for Biology it was around 74-77/100. There's nothing to say that the 2004 cut-off for Chemistry was around the same, but I'd estimate that it would have been in that vicinity - maybe 77-82/100. It's hard to say whether our's was harder than last year's, but I'd be inclined to say so...if not, around the same. So I think a cut-off of around 75-82/100 is likely.

richz

here here rench, rench is the master of determing cut offs :), i actually learnt everything from rench :)

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Last year's cut-off for Physics was around 73-76/100 and for Biology it was around 74-77/100. There's nothing to say that the 2004 cut-off for Chemistry was around the same, but I'd estimate that it would have been in that vicinity - maybe 77-82/100. It's hard to say whether our's was harder than last year's, but I'd be inclined to say so...if not, around the same. So I think a cut-off of around 75-82/100 is likely.
how did you find these cutoffs?

Captain pi

HSC
Please bear in mind that even raw marks are difficult to predict because the Board does not release the marking criteria for Chemistry.

Nevertheless, I estimate the Band 5/6 cut-off at about 77. This means you would do as follows to calculate your aligned mark:

Let your raw mark be r. Your aligned mark would be given by:

(r – 77)/2.3 + 90.0

if and only if you achieved above 77.

I doubt very strongly that it would be above 85.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Captain pi said:
Please bear in mind that even raw marks are difficult to predict because the Board does not release the marking criteria for Chemistry.

Nevertheless, I estimate the Band 5/6 cut-off at about 77. This means you would do as follows to calculate your aligned mark:

Let your raw mark be r. Your aligned mark would be given by:

(r – 77)/2.3 + 90.0

if and only if you achieved above 77.

I doubt very strongly that it would be above 85.
LOL. nice.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
holla back girl said:
how did you find these cutoffs?
The cut-offs for Bio and Physics were obtained from acmilan's marks...he made an FOI application and found his raw marks. Chem is just an estimate.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
xrtzx said:
and chem scales better than both, so yeah....
Hmm...actually, scaling plays no role in the determination of the band cut-offs. As rama_v said, they are performed independently.

Btw. I learned from Laz, so you're actually learning from Laz :p

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
xrtzx said:
here here rench, rench is the master of determing cut offs :), i actually learnt everything from rench :)
lol... yeh Rench's been doing that ever since i joined BOS, always there to correct us on anything to do with aligning/scaling/everything!

Id say the bad 6 cut off would probably be around 79/82...

seeing as last year for physics a RAW mark of 87/100 got aligned to a 95/100... i'd assume chem aligned even higher (being the harder subject)....

sooooooooo, 88/100 is too high for an aligned mark of 90, that'd probably get u a minimum of 94/100.. of course this is just speaking in general!...Every year is diff. but generaly its close!

Meh... Im hoping for a band 5... that would be a big imporvemnt from my 53% in the half yeearly!!!

I think band 5 will fall between 67-71/100.... but who knows, man! I hope we can get our RAW marks this year, r u gonna apply ReNcH?

sausage roll

"Last year's cut-off for Physics was around 73-76/100 "

That's not true. I did Phyics last year at TAFE and got a band 4 mark of 73.

richz

wtf are u talking about, his talking about raw marks in the actual exam (73-76). Heres another person stating the obvious, 73 is a band 4, thnx buddy we know :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
lol... yeh Rench's been doing that ever since i joined BOS, always there to correct us on anything to do with aligning/scaling/everything!

Id say the bad 6 cut off would probably be around 79/82...

seeing as last year for physics a RAW mark of 87/100 got aligned to a 95/100... i'd assume chem aligned even higher (being the harder subject)....

sooooooooo, 88/100 is too high for an aligned mark of 90, that'd probably get u a minimum of 94/100.. of course this is just speaking in general!...Every year is diff. but generaly its close!

Meh... Im hoping for a band 5... that would be a big imporvemnt from my 53% in the half yeearly!!!

I think band 5 will fall between 67-71/100.... but who knows, man! I hope we can get our RAW marks this year, r u gonna apply ReNcH?
Hehe...sorry to correct you again physician, but... :p
You can't really say that Chem will align more leniently, even if it is the harder subject out of the sciences. Aligning is performed according to standards unique to each subject, so there's no direct correlation between the aligning of physics, chem and bio. It's just my guess that they would align similarly though.

I might make an FOI application...it just depends on how many people do it. I'm not actually entirely sure of all of the court proceedings etc. that must be undertaken to get access to them, so I'll make my decision later.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sausage roll said:
"Last year's cut-off for Physics was around 73-76/100 "

That's not true. I did Phyics last year at TAFE and got a band 4 mark of 73.
The raw band cut-off was 73. That 73 that you got was an aligned mark of 73, which falls into the 70-80 range i.e. Band 4.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hehe...sorry to correct you again physician, but... :p
You can't really say that Chem will align more leniently, even if it is the harder subject out of the sciences. Aligning is performed according to standards unique to each subject, so there's no direct correlation between the aligning of physics, chem and bio. It's just my guess that they would align similarly though.
lol... its cool ReNcH!!!.. no need to be sorry

I agree, But I still think it would have aligned more than phys (just MO)... to tell u the truth I was actualy surpirsed at the fact that an 87/100 aligned to a 95/100 for physics

I always thought u needed a 90 to get above 90 aligned.. i always thought there would be a big margin between getting a 90 and a 92 for example!

as in perhaps a 78 would align to a 90, but then an 88 would align to a 92... I guess I was wrong... and glad that i was!

By the way did u guys feel there were a lot of Big mark questions.. on the contrary there were aslo quite a few 1 markers...

I'd hoped they'd allocate a little more marks to the Haber process.. and a 7 mark question on CFC's would have been nice, but oh well!

lol.. is there anything i said that needs correcting?...Im all ears!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
lol... its cool ReNcH!!!.. no need to be sorry

I agree, But I still think it would have aligned more than phys (just MO)... to tell u the truth I was actualy surpirsed at the fact that an 87/100 aligned to a 95/100 for physics

I always thought u needed a 90 to get above 90 aligned.. i always thought there would be a big margin between getting a 90 and a 92 for example!

as in perhaps a 78 would align to a 90, but then an 88 would align to a 92... I guess I was wrong... and glad that i was!

By the way did u guys feel there were a lot of Big mark questions.. on the contrary there were aslo quite a few 1 markers...

I'd hoped they'd allocate a little more marks to the Haber process.. and a 7 mark question on CFC's would have been nice, but oh well!

lol.. is there anything i said that needs correcting?...Im all ears!
Nope, nothing to correct that I can see :p

7 marks...how many were there? 2 not including the Option? I literally ran out of room for that chemical processes question, coz I drew three separate diagrams, so I had to write sideways in the margin...lol - so supposing I missed something important, maybe 6/7. The other 7 mark question wasn't too bad - I said the farm and the town as sources of contamination (not too sure about the town, coz it was actually beyond the lake area), and the purification thing was ok - aeration, sedimentation, flocculation etc...

I'm hoping to get 90+/100 raw for this exam, but those Chem markers are harsh so who knows?

richz

i put, rubbish leaching from the farm and phostphate run off from logging. I agree with u about the town, its after so i though it wouldnt affect the catchment

rama_v

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Nope, nothing to correct that I can see :p

7 marks...how many were there? 2 not including the Option? I literally ran out of room for that chemical processes question, coz I drew three separate diagrams, so I had to write sideways in the margin...lol - so supposing I missed something important, maybe 6/7. The other 7 mark question wasn't too bad - I said the farm and the town as sources of contamination (not too sure about the town, coz it was actually beyond the lake area), and the purification thing was ok - aeration, sedimentation, flocculation etc...

I'm hoping to get 90+/100 raw for this exam, but those Chem markers are harsh so who knows?
lol
You should have asked for another booklet for that questoin
They had to staple it to the answer booklet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)