This Project topic alright? Need Opinions (1 Viewer)

AJohnston1121

HSC
Hey All,

Just new at Bored of Sutdies but firgured might aswell sign up now i'am at the big year *sigh*

Well I love my History (not really good at it but enjoy it). I'am into Politics so for my Major project in Ext I decided to do the following:

"Has the Whitlam Government Dismissal affected the opinion of the public on the Australian Federal Labor Party?"

Is it phrased or right? My teacher is a great inspiration to me and has helped me alot to refine what i should/shouldn't do. She says it good but wanted to get your opinions?

So far I have sent out letters with a few easy phrased questions to:

Bob Hawke
Bob Carr
Malcolm Fraser (But his Address was hard and i don't know if i sent it to the right place)
John Howard
Kim Beazley
Simon Crean
Greg Combet
Barry Johnson

I don't know if they will reply. I have made up a survery to go out and ask people in around my area to do.

Do you think this is the right approach?

Plebeian

Welcome to BOS!

I think it sounds pretty interesting, the 1975 constitutional crisis is such an important event in Australian political history. Also props for effort in sending letters to those politicians.

The thing about the research project though is that it's best if you can use historical works, written by actual historical scholars, in doing it - analysing their reliability, validity of their arguments and reasons for their perspective, etc. - otherwise it may become more of a contemporary societal project rather than a historiographical investigation. My advice would probably be to shift more to an investigation of the crisis itself, and maybe opposing historians' views on whether it was justified, rather than a public-opinion survey which could become messy and difficult to achieve. However, if the opinion element is what you're really interested in, and your teacher thinks it's a good idea (after all, she's marking it...) then go for it.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
My only other suggestion to techie's is you could look at the portrayal of whitlam in texts(i.e Biographies, newspaper articles, anything reliable)....and the crisis would become context for portrayals.

I feel Techie's right in that i cant see any historians having written anything on your topic (and i may be wrong, Australian history was never something i overely enjoyed) so id research that aspect. contact the professor of Austrailian history at usyd, from reports their very pro whitlam and such.

AJohnston1121

HSC
That was my intial approach but I changed it after talking with Teachers and other students and parents.

btw Techie I LOVE that Picture u have in your Avtar it CRACKS ME UP

AJohnston1121

HSC
heres the questions i ask in the survey.

(basics)
Which Party do you tend to vote for Federally?
Briefly in your own words describe what was the Whitlam Dismissal about?
Were the actions of the Governor General in dismissing the Whitlam government justified?
If you voted in the Election immediately after the Dismissal was your vote swayed by the action of either party?
Do you trust the Labor Party?
Do you think the Labor Party would have more of a chance of getting into Federal Parliament if the Dismissal didn’t happen?
Any Further Comments?

I guess i'am not looking at contemporary views of it. I'am looking if its effected the Peoples trust in the Labor Party. And the Elections after the Dismissal. I'am gunna dicuss that whole issue u raised Tachie cause I think it might affect me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)