Thinking of deferring? (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
This is directed to 2005 HSCers and those kids who are thinking of deferring their university studies...(i.e. planning to commence in 2007 or 2nd semester 2006).
Most kids that defer are from the country and are planning to attend universities in the city. There are also varying reasons why people defer: travel, financial, life experience, maturity, lack of family support etc.

Even though this is only my experience (I encourage others to share if you've deferred this year or in the past) I want to share what the last 12 months has been like.

At the end of 2004, I gained a place in a Bach of Creative Arts at the University of Melbourne, I have been brought up, lived in and schooled in Albury, which is on the NSW/Vic border. It was my 1st preference and had been since Year 10 so I was rather happy. However my UAI (93.65) wasn't anywhere near good enough for any kind of entry scholarship and my circumstances didn't gain enough standing to be considered for an 'access' scholarship.
Much to my dismay, I deferred for the maximum 12 months, I didn't want to, but I already have an older sister in Melbourne studying. As a country student, university in the city or interstate is very expensive. It's around $14 grand just for accommodation at college...and around the same for rental accommodation for the full 12 months.
I however wanted to leap straight into it and get out of Albury.
The plan was to earn enough to get Youth Allowance. I had 18 months to earn $17 121. This is the amount set by the government (for this year) that you must earn to be deemed 'independent'. My parents 'earn too much' and this is the only way I will be paid while at university.

However being the cocky shit I was, I didn't start applying for jobs until January of this year. I was already working 6 hours a week at my waitressing job and I thought heck...I was a good kid at school...i'll get a job no problem. At first, I was picky, I wanted an office job...secretary...something like that. It was to February and I was getting a little scared. Still no job, so I went out and applied for lots of things. Waitressing (even though I hate it, checkout chick etc etc). In March, I was successful in gaining a place in Green Corps, it's a federal government 6-month program that pays an absolutely AWFUL wage ($7.26 and hour BEFORE TAX!)...but heck, it was a job. Then in July, I got a job at Dick Smith...retail bitch is now my profession. I was working something like 55hour weeks because I was behind in earning enough...I started to realise that if I didn't land a great job after Green Corps...i'll be stuffed.

Well, Green Corps finished around...err, 2 months ago now kiddies. And I have two casual jobs (retail and hospitality) that average anywhere between 6 and 30 hours a week. It's unstable, it's unpredictable and it's all my fault. Having only earned $12 000 and with 4 months to go...I'm resigned to the fact that I will not be getting youth allowance. My parents are pretty peeved but are also proud that I had the forsight to save $6500. Being in a country town where jobs are not a plenty...it's even harder. It's also quite amusing that the federal government set that amount I must earn, and the reason why I won't get it is because Green Corps (their program) didn't pay enough. Oh what a world.

So, my advice? If you're planning to defer and go for Youth Allowance, get a job now! Anything, cleaning, waitressing, retail. Anything that will pay well and give you regular hours. And work like a DOG in the first 6 months...stuff having a break, you can do that at the end. Some of my friends have reached it and are now overseas until uni starts...it's so hard to watch that happen and realise....damn, just because I was dumb and naive...I can't do that.

So that's my rant. Don't be stupid like me kiddies.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I haven't actually considered deferring before, but now that i think of it, I would rather do university in 2007 just after my hsc finishes, I don't have a reason to so i may as well move on with study and maybe get a part-time job while in uni.

HSC
i totally agree .. i'm from a smaller town and moving interstate, and i'm doing the same thing. the thing is though, even if you do earn the $17xxx (whatever the exact figure is), you're not classified as completely independent and eligible for the allowance until 18 months after you officially finish school. so say you sign out in mid-november, you can't get the payments until about mid-may of the year you start university. so there's still a bit of a gap which is shit.

but yeah, if you're thinking about deferring, i say go for it. it gives you a bit of a break to kick back and earn some money after spending 13 straight years at school, before you go back and do another 3+ years. even if most of your friends leave town and you spend way too much time at the beach/on the internet. ha.

P

pLuvia

I'm thinking of just going straight to university as soon as the hsc finishes and getting a part time job as well.

There's no reason why I should defer going to university, better to get over and done with

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the good advice Skillo, it was very helpful...since i've been considering the whole deferring thing.

But i think i'm just going to go straight into university - If I get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)