things to bring to college this year (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
well its getting closer and i thought i'd write a list for all you new guys and girls of what sort of things you should bring - don't know if it will help but i know i would have liked it before i started!

* clothes - make sure you bring clothes for all kinds of weather and event.. from shorts/tshirts/jeans/thongs for lectures, to shirt/dresspants or skirt/dress for formal dinners (colleges usually have about 2 or 3 of these per term and can be anything from semi-formal to formal attire, so be prepared - and guys bring a tie!) and make sure you do pack some jumpers cos armidale can get cold (may not need these first term but def. will later on) and for girls especially, if you aren't used to it - be aware there is a lot of clothes/jewellery/make up borrowing that goes on at college! so basically you have your wardrobe plus every other girls to choose from!! (main borrowing would be for formal dinners etc though!)

* decorations for your room - this can be anything from your own doona cover, to photos, posters, toys etc.. make sure if you are hanging picture frames etc on the wall that you get special hooks that stick on the wall and can be removed (you can get them at hardware stores and kmart) - make your room your own!

* electrical applicances - firstly, most college rooms will only have 2 or 3 powerpoints, so powerboards are a must! i'm not sure what other colleges allow, but at albies, people have everything from fridges, tvs, stereos, computers, laptops, lamps to hairdryers, fans and alarm clocks... it's up to you what you think you will need or want - but a computer or laptop will always come in handy (it can be annoying to have to go to the computer room) and if you have a computer you can do without a stereo too! it's also helpful to have your own printer (but beware - people will always want to borrow it so watch the amount of paper and ink you go through!)
in the first few weeks it will be hot - so a fan will come in very handy (and they sell out quickly at shops in town so bringing one is easier!)

* linen - most colleges will provide sheets and a doona cover (check with your own though) - you are more than welcome to bring your own though, and it's often nice to have your own doona cover to be a bit more personal, be aware though, if you have your own sheets/doona cover then you have to wash them yourself... bring at least 2 bath towels and a beach towel for trips to the pool/blue hole etc..

* bring a few cups/glasses if you decide to have a few quiet drinks at college - or even to get a glass of water late at night, also cups of coffee/tea (most colleges will have microwave, kettle and sink facilities but you can bring your own kettle - just watch fire alarms!)... also, bowls and plates will come in handy for the odd bit of take-away or maggi noodles that you might get... and also knife/fork/spoon/teaspoon

* for lectures i reccomend using a 5 subject notebook cos they have pockets that you can stick notes in, and it saves carrying around 4 separate notebooks... i keep a folder for each subject in my room at college and put any sheets/notes/assignments in it as i go... at the end of last year i then went through the folders and managed to put all the important stuff into 1 folder of all my 1st year subjects... one of the best things about college is the older students who keep their stuff for you so you can look at old assignments etc. (they often don't change much year to year, especially for sciences!)

* hanging rack for clothes is useful - so you can dry clothes in your room if you want the privacy or if the drying room is full

if anyone else can think of anything feel free to add on here!!

Thanks for that!! It is absolutly fan- fecking- tastic! (This should be stickied or something hehe)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
no problems guys! any questions about UNE (and i can try to answer general college questions) just pm me or reply to this thread

Argo - lots of guys forget formal attire and look a bit silly in jeans and a t-shirt when everyone else is in pants/tie!

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
Argonaut said:
You do martinis up there? Shaken, not stirred?
Wonder if a cocktail party is held every year, or if we could make it a new initiative for the 06'

I also think now might be the time to rush out and buy a cheap suit from Lowes, my browns might be a little too hot for summer.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Spikeru said:
Wonder if a cocktail party is held every year, or if we could make it a new initiative for the 06'

I also think now might be the time to rush out and buy a cheap suit from Lowes, my browns might be a little too hot for summer.
hmmmm some colleges might do cocktail parties...

and yeah suit would be a good idea (although you will prob only use the jacket on a couple of occassions) - generally for smart casual the more country guys wear moleskins, shirt and tie and rm's... and all the others would just wear dress pants, shirt and tie and dress shoes (some even use school type shoes)

the only time you will need something really formal is for college ball (and if you go to things such as the law ball/rural science ball etc.) - for that you'd just wear what you would wear to a school formal/grad

ooo I have another question, when do I pay the General Service Fee? Can I pay it the day I get there. Thanx!!!! :)

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Argonaut said:
*HUGS*

THANK YOU! I have only had a basic idea on what to bring - mostly with regards to stuff for lectures - and since no-one I know at UNE actually wants to talk to me, I haven't been able to ask. See, being a typical bloke, I never would have thought to bring formal stuff or glasses

what do we need for lectures?

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
If you're taking economics or statistics bring a pillow

ha ha :rofl: i'm thinking of doing political relations - psychology - sociology something along those lines - would I need a pillow for them?

$a®e

HSC
do many people use their own linen? e.g. doona & doona cover, sheets n pillows? cause i brought a doona & cover and a couple pillows...is that ok?

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Argonaut said:
Read the first post:
ballerinabarbie said:
for lectures i reccomend using a 5 subject notebook cos they have pockets that you can stick notes in, and it saves carrying around 4 separate notebooks... i keep a folder for each subject in my room at college and put any sheets/notes/assignments in it as i go... at the end of last year i then went through the folders and managed to put all the important stuff into 1 folder of all my 1st year subjects... one of the best things about college is the older students who keep their stuff for you so you can look at old assignments etc. (they often don't change much year to year, especially for sciences!)
that is one suggestion - does anyone else have any suggestions or is that basically what everyone else is planning on doing?

i just want many options or suggestions (even thought that is probably the way to go) - the people who i knew that went to UNE arent that really open about what they did, what they used etc

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
iminlalaland said:
ooo I have another question, when do I pay the General Service Fee? Can I pay it the day I get there. Thanx!!!! :)
yeah u can pay it up untill a couple of weeks into term i think - they usually send the invoice thingy in the mail which tells you when u have to pay by (u go to the cashier to pay for it... any of the seniors will be able to tell u where that is)

and sare - yeah bring your doona cover, pillows etc. lots of ppl do and you'll be more comfy with what u like!

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
ballerinabarbie pretty much had it covered - but here are my suggestions...
A bucket - you'll use it for anything and everything...from washing jus one top that u spilt lunch on to avoiding vomit in ur room - quiet a nasty experience ive heard - plus remember vomiting bugs go thro college atleast once a year and when it does everyone gets a touch of it...so the bucket is a great cover for those moments after a big nite/day or when your actually ill....(note: if ur at albies dont bother - u have a sink)...
Coat hangers - i know of ppl last year that rocked up to college expecting there to be coat hangers provided - its something some ppl assume they'll need and others would never had concidered...
For classes i jus take a note book and pen - thats all...but at college its handy to have jus wat u woulda used during high school - so highlighters are a must - a permanent marker always cums in handy, stapler, calculator...stuff like taht....
At austin our draws in our wardrobes have like chip board as the bottom in each...so a handy tip if you dont want lil bits of wood over all you clothes is to get wrapping paper to line you draws....i bought sum very funky plastic stuff last year like wat oldies use for table clothes...its jus one of those things ull figure out when you get there...
Write down all numbers ull need - BSB number, tax file number stuff like that or you parents will get as frustrated as mine did with me calling to ask for the same number a few times...
Paper - even if you dont have a printer its nice to have ppl who knock on you door and ask to print sumthing off and they have thier own paper...its handy for writing quick msgs on and stuff like that - some colleges would provide their own paper i imagine - austin mite too but ive never checked...
Anything your bringing to college that is a bit expencive or that has sum meaning to you i would have engraved...like ipods and camera's, laptops etc. i know thats not wat you want to hear but it has been known to happen - visitors to college with sticky fingers etc...i have to admit that i only ever locked my door when i was getting changed and when i was at class last year the rest of the time anyone coulda had a look around...but its better to have these things done then shit go missing and you having no way of identifying you belongings...
I know i ended on a sour note but the count down is on kids...
See you all in 17 days... :)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
yes a bucket would be handy if you aren't at albies and don't have the priviledge a sink... plus if you get sick and need to vomit and the bathroom is at the other end of the hall then it would just all be bad!
and yes - coathangers - A MUST!! (although i ended up borrowing lots last year and now have many different colours and styles in my collection!! - another great thing about college - borrowing! lol)

i thought of something else - if you have any really good dress up clothes, take them along cos there are always dress up nights...

as for engraving your stuff and locking your room - you do tend to get pretty lazy and only lock your room to go to class etc.. but at the end of last year the block i was in had a fair bit of $$ stealing going on (only amounts of like $20, but it happened to about 10 or more ppl) - and there were no visitors so it was someone at college... you feel after a while that you can trust everyone, but i guess it's not always true - so do be careful! also if you live on the ground floor don't forget things like locking your windows when you leave - there have been times when there have been some shady people walking around and you never know when they might just walk on in.. (most colleges close the doors about 8pm and you can't get in without id/key etc. but people can still jump in an open window.. while i'm on that note - if you are taking a car make sure you hide wallets/cd's etc. even when parked in the college car park (thieves have been known to smash car windows for as little as $10 sitting on the seat)
don't get too scared about this - but do be aware of it... i've never had a problem but it has happened so u just gotta be careful

jesscookie

HSC
i'm bringing my bar fridge, do many people do this? also washing baskets are a good idea too, since we all do our own washing and whatnot. Is there a bag room, to store suitcases after we arrive??

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
jesscookie said:
i'm bringing my bar fridge, do many people do this? also washing baskets are a good idea too, since we all do our own washing and whatnot. Is there a bag room, to store suitcases after we arrive??
yeah lots of ppl have fridges - good to keep the beers cold!
washing baskets are also good to carry stuff up to your room when you move in
and yes there is a box room (well at albies there is)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Bucket? Why in my day we used the bin, what's this bucket business :)

As for stealing, yeah lock your rooms, you're not at home this isn't your family. Not only that but if you are on the ground floor don't leave your window open and don't leave any valuables close to an open window, especially when you are not there. Back in the 90s there were problems with little hoodlums running wild through college and taking things close to windows and open rooms because they had such small arms and were nimble.You never know when the next wave of bored youth will trounce through on a spree :mad1:

If you leave your room unlocked and have friends like me and my mates expect to come back from lectures to a totally empty room. I am talking no bed, no fridge, no computer no clothes no nothing we clean it all out. If you leave your room key in there expect it to be the only thing left on the floor and then expect no one to tell you who has all your gear just for a laugh for a few days :)

As for Oweek remember there are laws that apply to Australia and while UNE is a nice little sheltered environment full of "special" people and rules it is still within Australia so anything you do as part of pranks or dares remember you are still in Australia. This means don't drink and drive, be careful about your behaviour, don't be seen drunk underage etc. Also don't take up silly dares like tumbling down the goat track while drunk.

Added: Oh yeah, doors might get locked at 8 but you always see people chocking them open to go have a smoke, really sucks in winter and you don't really have much security if someone leaves one open and doesn't close it when they finish. I remember some people never locked their room doors while they slept.

Last edited:

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
jesscookie said:
as soon as i walked away from the puter after i posted yesterday i remembered the washing basket...and htye are a good thing to use while carrying shit up stairs...
and the fridge - i think i would die w/o the fridge...it also makes a very good bedside table..
at austin we have box rooms but they are virtually jus a closet....we have enuf room to stash suit cases above out wardrobes where they are locked away and outa site...
also, all (i think) colleges require u to have electrical cords tagged - pft...im keeping mine on from last year...jus suss that bit out when u get there too...unless ur like me and have a dad whose a sparky - ideal!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)