They long to belong (1 Viewer)

taggs-sasuke

HSC
Hi. Can you please provide me with feedback on my (dodgy) attempt to answer questions on a text that deals with belonging? Thank you!

They long to belong
Bill Austen

Recent surveys have discovered that one in four Australians don’t feel socially at ease when they go into gatherings of new people, and sometimes even with old friends. The report developed by Dr Beaker of the Social and Cultural Institute of Canberra, has been published after a ten year longitudinal study into the social happiness of Australians.

The report was published on Friday after 5000 people were surveyed over a period of seven years. Despite Australia’s wealth and prosperity, and an assumption that being financially well off led to social confidence, Dr Beaker was shocked to find that we are a nation of insecure people.

One of the subjects wrote “I never feel at ease when I go into a new group or meet new people. I worry that I won’t know what to say, or about what they will think of me, or whether I sound smart enough or behave the right way. I stress out about it so much I don’t like going out any more.”

The institute hopes that the government will pick up the information to use it in its new social planning agenda. “We need people, especially young people who are confident and self-assured to take their place in society and lead Australia into its future.” Dr Beaker told a radio audience yesterday. “Hopefully we can reach out to communities, with government funding, and this cycle of insecurity and lack of confidence.”

Reprinted from the Canberra Weekly News

• Identify three features that indicate this is a newspaper article.

The three features that indicate this is a newspaper article are the use of formal language, the use of an objective tone and its source, the Canberra Weekly News.

• What aspect of belonging is identified in this text?

The aspect of belonging identified in this text is the ‘cycle of insecurity and lack of confidence’ created by a lack of belonging.

• How is that aspect developed in the text?

This aspect of belonging is developed in the text through various ways. The statistic that ‘one in four’ suffer from social unhappiness is alarming and adds to the urgency of addressing this issue. The quote by ‘one of the subjects’ personalises the article and provides in detail the negative effects of a lack of confidence. The surveys and report, which incorporates a ‘ten year longitudinal study’, support the authenticity of the article. Furthermore, the length of time of the study emphasises the seriousness of this problem.

• Comment on the effectiveness of the title of this text.

The title They long to belong is effective because, as it is an inherent need to belong, it would draw attention. It also summarises the issue of not belonging that is dealt with in the article.

• Discuss two language features which support the concept of belonging and explain how they are used.

The words ‘social happiness’, ‘social confidence’ and ‘self-assured’ are contrasted with ‘insecure’ and ‘lack of self-confidence’. The former reflect a sense of belonging while the latter reflect a sense of not belonging. They are juxtaposed to emphasise the consequences of belonging or not belonging.

The factual information, including ‘the Social and Cultural Institute of Canberra’ and the ‘social planning agenda’, in the article reflects the importance placed by society on social security and, thus, a sense of belonging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)