These are probably sthilly questions but.. (1 Viewer)

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
WHY do you read the certain books/genres you do? what do they offer you personally, in return?
does your current mood determine the type of books you read?
is there perhaps a void in your life you fill with fictional characters?

i dont think this has ever been asked - perhaps because it's blatantly obvious. still, its nice to share your thoughts.

when im moody and bleak, i read plath, voltaire, moliere..
when im sentimental, its roald dahl.
cynical and paranoid...endless
[of couse there are many more authors im unfortunately ignorant of :/]

im also kind of a chronic lit chick - a fan of all words hardy, tolstoy, austen, orwell..etc etc. Moreover, personally 19thC lit provides a more vivid history and emotional intensity (regardless whether its fictional or not) comparatively to the "top 10" novels in dymocks..

ps who here hopes to own a huge wooden maple case library with one those sliding ladders? :uhhuh:

post away..!

walrusbear

HSC
i have a strong interest in 'postmodern' literature (american especially) i guess, at the mo

stuff like don delillo and thomas pynchon and JG Ballard etc.

i read depressing stuff like Houellebecq and Camus when i feel down, which is a lot of the time
it's more often that what i'm reading dictates my mood than my mood dictating what i read

if i'm in a strong mood i'll usually turn to music or a film before a book

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
i read depressing stuff like Houellebecq and Camus when i feel down, which is a lot of the time. it's more often that what i'm reading dictates my mood than my mood dictating what i read
likewise, if im feeling depressed and consequently reading plath's the bell jar, it just dampens the mood (conversely too) - making you somewhat more aware and reflecting your situation.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I read everything I can get my hands on - trashy mags, backs of cereal boxes, and of course books :)

I read to widen my horizons, to gain a different perspective on things, and for entertainment. I read to pass the time on the train to work in the morning. To escape the reality of going to work :p

I read how-to books and cookbooks and self-help books, not because I really care how to build things or how to cook or how to help myself but because they provide somebody else's insight into a particular subject I might not be so knowledgable about.

Once I finish a book (and it's not part of a series) I usually stand in front of my bookshelf and think about how I feel.. what book feels good to read. Usually something I haven't read for a while (I hate re-reading soon after finishing a book; my previous imagery of the characters is still fresh in my mind) and something different to what I've been reading (eg. reading The Eyre Affair after reading The Glass Bead Game..

SipSip

HSC
N/A
I don't normally read if i'm in a certain mood....but instead i tend to read to change the current mood i'm in....

I enjoy more "real stories" and "life stories" books....and also anything related to the asian cultures along with a love story...the culture and the story that people experience just shape my mood back to a more calm state....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)