• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Theatre Criticism (1 Viewer)

Jezzame

Hey everyone,

I have a query for all the gals and guys doing Portfolio Of Theatre Criticism... my teacher told me to see as many plays as i could, review them all and pick the best of my reviews for my portfolio. he also said that this would help my review writing...

Now my friend (whos doing the same as me in drama) from another school said that she is only seeing 4 performances all up and then writing the reviews.(her teacher is a senior marker for drama hsc)

ive already talked to my teacher about this and he says that he is right. im not completly sure about this as this is the first year our school has done drama for hsc, so its his first year aswell. He's a great teacher and all but i just want another opinion. I also dont have the $$$ to see that many performances...

Ive now seen 3 performances and have almost finished my first review (to perfection theres already been 2 drafts) so im not behind.

PLEEEEASE HELP ME!!!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
My teacher told me to see "as many as possible" and pick your four best reviews. It has seriously cost my mother so much money just to see four, so it is hard to see "as many". Try and find some cheap shows....Belvoir St, the Stables, are a lot cheaper than the Opera House and Nida. See if maybe your folks can chip in....it IS for the hsc after all! lol

I will end up seeing 5 and just make sure I do 4 great reviews.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
grk girl's right... it can get expensive trying to see "as many as possible"... my advice is to see at least 5.. because you have to do 4 right? and choose your best ones... BUT however... when deciding on which plays to go and see, make sure there is a variety in the type of performances you see.... for example, maybe you'll see one aboriginal play, another could be a a classic shakesphear-crap! ive forgotten how to speel shakesphere..see!- play whilst another is an irish one... i think you get what i mean...
this way, when you write your *great, *WONDERFUL,
**S U P E R B A L O U S** review, it will be clear to see that you have used your great skills and noogen cleverly despite the vast range in plays you have dealt with!

Kate D

HSC
my aim is to c at least 6 and hand in my best 4. places such as riverside theatres in parra and Belvior St in the city often have $20-$30 plays on if u wnna c low budget stuff.
just a tip!
~Katie

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Stay away from Belvoir Downstairs though.. some plays can be VERY amatur... but STC has $17 tickets for u30s available 1 hr b4 performances... So, you rock up and might see a play if there are seats available, if not, go have fun in the city.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
STC is not always PACKED OUT, so I'm sure you'd get a ticket. Belvoir Downstairs is weird. You sit VERY close to one another, and for claustrophobics for me, that's not good!

Belvoir upstairs has some fantastic plays coming out, as does Riverside.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
But the closness is what belvoir is all about... the only thing is downstairs theatre has no quality assurance like upstairs!

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
hehe... why bother going either uostairs or downstairs at belvior???
why not just chill out in the foyer, while ordering some dinner in those oh-so-kewl chinese boxes from that CUTE guy out the front???
hmm. yummy.... the food i mean, yeh, the food... lol

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
aleeOh! you all need to get over that bartender!!! Your all swooning over him! he's hideous! :)

Originally posted by grk_styl
lol Sparky I think we've argued about this before.

I guess it's up to u whether you like the 'closeness' or not. I'm germaphobic. The thought makes me wanna have a shower. lol
I think we have :) lol... but hey.. no one disses belvoir in my presence :) lol... closeness is alrite unless whoever is sitting next to you has BO!!! or when sumone takes there drink down and makes slurping noises with the straw!!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by aLeeOh!
hehe... why bother going either uostairs or downstairs at belvior???
why not just chill out in the foyer, while ordering some dinner in those oh-so-kewl chinese boxes from that CUTE guy out the front???
hmm. yummy.... the food i mean, yeh, the food... lol
lmao Dammit, when I went there was no hot guy selling anything! I obviously missed out big time.

Originally posted by Will_Sparky
I think we have :) lol... but hey.. no one disses belvoir in my presence :) lol... closeness is alrite unless whoever is sitting next to you has BO!!! or when sumone takes there drink down and makes slurping noises with the straw!!!
Sorry Sparky. You sound like my ex boyfriend. He was really into Belvoir, and he'd kill me if I said anything about it. lol

Hey, closeness is good if ur sitting next to someone who's a hunky spunky monkey. BUT if u happen to get the old fart with BO.... *runs out*

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
lmao Dammit, when I went there was no hot guy selling anything! I obviously missed out big time.

Sorry Sparky. You sound like my ex boyfriend. He was really into Belvoir, and he'd kill me if I said anything about it. lol

Hey, closeness is good if ur sitting next to someone who's a hunky spunky monkey. BUT if u happen to get the old fart with BO.... *runs out*
guys guys guys!!! FOYER IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!!ahhh.....
lol, grk girl, you really are missing out! sparky is just dissing the salad guy-he sells the food! not drinks behind the bar!- because sparky is jealous!!!!!!!
J E A L O U S!!!! mwah ahahahaha!!!
oh by the way, you looked nice today sparky;) i dont know why they make fun of paint shirts. i think they're kewl...
yes.. i can see us designing our own paint shirts!!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
aLeeOh, there's a teacher at your school that's worth dying over? DAMN I'm moving schools! lol Ok, so I sometimes think that drooling over a teacher is just wrong, but if he's YOUNG then that's ok. We are nearly 18 afterall, so 24 doesn't seem that old!

But I will definitely hang in the foyer just to catch sight of this mystery man,

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
lol. make sure you do grk girl! and he's got this american accent... if i remember right.....
and yes, sparky is jealous over the teacher who OTHER GIRLS die over, not me.. i just look, smile, swwon and move on.....
ahh... you'll understand when you see him grk girl! he's soooo nice as well! he's cute in that "oh i hope when im older i'll meet" very nice guy kinda way...
how old is he? i dunno, what do u say sparky ol pal? early 20's, mid 20's?
ahh.... lol... but i guess we just overreact when je goes by becoz, please, he's got no competition whatsoever!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
lol I'm guessing the guys in your year are not anything to look at it? I guess you're all close to them, so you probably don't see them as boyfriend material. I go to an all girls school, so ANY young guy who enters the school grounds, we go completely nuts over. My EE2 class has 3 guys in it from another school, and I get little shits asking me "Oh, are they hot?" lmao Please, I'm doing EE2 with them, I don't think about that sort of thing...

*cough*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)