The Works of Leo Tolstoy (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
so who likes Leo Tolstoy here? i absoltueli luv his stuff.....it has a v unique style.... it is full of realism and psychology... his books are suualli set in moscow.. or around russia... with a backdrop of wartorn russia....

my fav works are:

Anna Karenina

i have read the book more than 5 times... and pick something up each time.... it deals with the highs and lows of love... the basic plot:

anna karenina, a beautiful, sophsticated and upperclass woman falls in love with this commander of relative high rank, he is perhaps her conterpart, euqally successful, charming and v handsome.... anna, who is married ends up falling in love with the commander, and risks everything to be with him. However, later on Anna starts to becoem v insecure, and would questoin his every move and slowli she detiorates away......

the book is v heart warming when u experiecne anna's happiness.. but also v chilling when anna becoems fragile....

she is one of the most famous heorines in literature....the movie is great too.... good cinematography...

War and Peace

i will quote wot i said in another thread....

though v long and heavy in some parts, is worth the time....its v real.....much like all of tolstyo's stuff... basicalli for those who havent read it ..its set in moscow after napoleon's invasion...it reminds meeh a little of 1984....with the coldness and the realism... though i lyk anna karenina betta.... i might start a thread later.. all abt leo tolstoy... fascinating man..

A Confession

this is his tuobiographical essay, tolstoy accounts his acceptance of christianity thru god, a v intersitng read, though the essay is hard to get hold of, i found my copy at a usyd book sale... dunno if dunno bookstores have it..let alone normal libraries... though maybe the net has the e-text..

there are more books.... a lot of his works are religion focused... or psychologi focused (often done via testing the human boundaries to the extreme) ......ani thoughts on any of these books? or anithign tolstoy related? :p

Last edited:

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
its better to read tolstoy in russian ( for me). i absolutely loved anna karenina. in russia at school in year 9 teachers make you to read "war and peace "and anna karenina" i think it is too hard books for year 9s.

rude

oh yes, good point piccaninny! back in Ukraine, those bastards use to teach us Ukrainian, Ukrainian literature, Russian, Russian Literature,Maths(3unit),Biology,Physics, Chemistry. These subjects were compulsary for everybody!. oh yes the memories! God Bless Ukraine!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I started on 'War and Peace' and I'll leave it at that. (Besides the fact, I couldn't follow what was happening because I didn't understand the context or have the capacity to remember the characters - there were many, btw.)

is a roflcopter
HSC
yeah i was gona get war+peace and anna
but some wangchun stole it from local library omg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)