The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
Hi, me again. One of those nervous new supervisors.

Just wondering, as a front end supervisor, what does your nightly routine look like? I have my first solo shift (with not much training...) and looking for some guidance!

subtekjr

HSC
Hi, me again. One of those nervous new supervisors.

Just wondering, as a front end supervisor, what does your nightly routine look like? I have my first solo shift (with not much training...) and looking for some guidance!
Can't speak for front end supervisors (I don't know exactly what their routine is), but you will be fine as a supervisor in general. I was nervous a little the first few times I supervised my department before we actually got a 2IC again, but now that he's quit, I'm running the show again while the boss is on holiday.

As a supervisor in general, you really just need to remember your routine, make sure you remember people's breaks and home times (if they don't close themselves), and stick to what you know best. If there is a question you can't answer, refer it to someone who would (if at night, the nightfill captain should know just about anything you'd be stuck on), and just make sure your department is covered staff wise. For example, if you aren't able to cover smoke desk (dunno how other stores run, but my smoke desk is opposite service desk, and a supervisor usually runs it while the other runs the general stuff around the front), make sure someone can.

Assuming you're left with the right amount of staff, and know the right people to call if you run into trouble, you can't really go wrong.

As far as the routine for Front End supervisors at night, I can't really say a lot there, but from what I saw while I was in front end, the supervisors organised all the counting of the registers, returning excess moneys to the cash office, general clean up routine (all rubbish bins emptied, bags all full etc), and got people to take back returns and check for any customers after close. Anything else I'm clueless about lol

nanakid12

HSC
My night routine consists of:
Spot checking
Housekeeping (cleaning belts, silvers, rubbish, etc)
Drinks
Stock return
Cigarettes
Full impulse bars
Newspapers
Etc

You'll be right ha.

Is anyone else's store legit gutting the shit out of their front end department. Two full time staff are on leave in a fortnight time and they are not being replaced. We have no casuals working with us whatsoever.

Each day basically consists of only the following shifts:

Supervisor 7.30-4.30
Cashier 8.00-5.00
Night supervisor 4.30-9.30
Night cashier 4.30-9.30

I am so bloody stressed thinking about it!!!! I'm going to have to see my store manager because I can't even deal with the amount of stress. We're a smaller store, but big enough to warrant more than this. The state of that week, how are we supposed to even take our lunch breaks?!?! Not to mention the abuse I KNOW I will cop from customers.

There is also one night where the last operator finishes at 7 and me as the supervisor am by myself from then til 9.30.

Any advice on how I should approach my store manager about this? I've been thinking about resigning but I just don't know. Certainly can't tolerate these staffing levels for too long.

Last edited:
HSC
Looking at Woolies as a possible casual job because I'm a broke student and maccas can gtfo.
My other options are like
a kebab shop and an IT store
Should I go for Woolies? How does the application process work exactly?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
My night routine consists of:
Spot checking
Housekeeping (cleaning belts, silvers, rubbish, etc)
Drinks
Stock return
Cigarettes
Full impulse bars
Newspapers
Etc

You'll be right ha.

Is anyone else's store legit gutting the shit out of their front end department. Two full time staff are on leave in a fortnight time and they are not being replaced. We have no casuals working with us whatsoever.

Each day basically consists of only the following shifts:

Supervisor 7.30-4.30
Cashier 8.00-5.00
Night supervisor 4.30-9.30
Night cashier 4.30-9.30

I am so bloody stressed thinking about it!!!! I'm going to have to see my store manager because I can't even deal with the amount of stress. We're a smaller store, but big enough to warrant more than this. The state of that week, how are we supposed to even take our lunch breaks?!?! Not to mention the abuse I KNOW I will cop from customers.

There is also one night where the last operator finishes at 7 and me as the supervisor am by myself from then til 9.30.

Any advice on how I should approach my store manager about this? I've been thinking about resigning but I just don't know. Certainly can't tolerate these staffing levels for too long.
Speak to your store manager. Explain your concerns to him/her and if there is no action taken to roster more staff to reduce the burden that this is having on the store, including such employees like yourself mentally, emotionally and physically, then your best bet is to start filling out your resignation.

nanakid12

HSC
Actually didn't turn out to be too bad today. I'm just expecting the worst scenario possible where there is no floor staff to call and there will be angry customers yelling at me. Which is still a possibility.

Any of you guys in a bad situation like this? Please comfort me in saying that I am not the only one.

Also, back in my home state of QLD I see they're changing the trading hours 7am-9pm Monday to Saturday (Sundays remain 9am-6pm still). Any QLDers here? What you guys think of that?

Bit of a step forward I guess... stepping more into line with NSW and Victoria. ha

Last edited:

HSC
Actually didn't turn out to be too bad today. I'm just expecting the worst scenario possible where there is no floor staff to call and there will be angry customers yelling at me. Which is still a possibility.

Any of you guys in a bad situation like this? Please comfort me in saying that I am not the only one.

Also, back in my home state of QLD I see they're changing the trading hours 7am-9pm Monday to Saturday (Sundays remain 9am-6pm still). Any QLDers here? What you guys think of that?

Bit of a step forward I guess... stepping more into line with NSW and Victoria. ha
I had a fair few staff on with me. One supervisor, one backup (both till close), and two cashiers that finish about an hour before close. Made my job a hell of a lot easier!

But that's some serious stuff... I'd lose it if I had next to no staff on!

nanakid12

HSC
Found that there is an insane amount of floor staff on the last two days, so lucky there are people to call. Even though they probably don't get their work done.

At this stage, the roster says that all the day staff finish at 5.30 and then it's just me, the night supervisor on with no operators whatsoever. Is this even allowed? Am I supposed to just kick everyone out of the store and close for fifteen minutes while I take my break?

Surely they're going to have to roster at least one staff member on with me.

The good thing is, I'm not feeling stressed! None of extra work is getting done and we're so far behind on everything, but I figure, why stress? Nothing I can do about it. Can't do the impossible.

nanakid12

HSC
Looking at Woolies as a possible casual job because I'm a broke student and maccas can gtfo.
My other options are like
a kebab shop and an IT store
Should I go for Woolies? How does the application process work exactly?
Sorry dude. Woolies or IT store I'd go for. I have this thing about food jobs ha.

I'm not real familiar with the application process, but imagine it's straightforward - create a profile at wowcareers.com.au fill in your deets, see what jobs are available. You could also drop your resume to the service desk of your local for an expression of interest if no jobs are listed online - most stores I imagine will accept it. Good luck

subtekjr

HSC
Found that there is an insane amount of floor staff on the last two days, so lucky there are people to call. Even though they probably don't get their work done.

At this stage, the roster says that all the day staff finish at 5.30 and then it's just me, the night supervisor on with no operators whatsoever. Is this even allowed? Am I supposed to just kick everyone out of the store and close for fifteen minutes while I take my break?

Surely they're going to have to roster at least one staff member on with me.

The good thing is, I'm not feeling stressed! None of extra work is getting done and we're so far behind on everything, but I figure, why stress? Nothing I can do about it. Can't do the impossible.
Lucky you right? We're in a similar boat, we have a reasonable amount of operators, but between people calling in sick, my boss being on holiday and our 2ic leaving to Long Life, my fruit and veg is struggling. I'm having to cover both bosses jobs, as well as anyone who is sick. We struggled to keep up with today's traffic with 3 of us until 12:30, we are meant to have 5 by 10.

Checkouts keep taking our workers too, it's not like we're two supervisors (ie. management of the department) down and just had another worker quit recently or anything...

But yeah, they'll give you more workers to help out. They can't leave you alone. Just keep calling priority one until they realise you are on your own =)

Last edited:

mrpotatoed

HSC
Hey guys... I have an interview at woolies tomorrow and was wondering what some common questions are? (and any tips) Applying for a replenishment role.

astroman

HSC
Hey guys... I have an interview at woolies tomorrow and was wondering what some common questions are? (and any tips) Applying for a replenishment role.
Currently been working replenishment for 4 months, interview was legit this:
Tell me about yourself: I said i'm a uni student and worked at a small conveneince store during high school. I live local and have access to my own car.
Can you work fridays and saturdays: Yes, I'm available all week in the afternoons since uni is during the day so I'm not affected.
Can you work more shifts during busy work periods such as christmas:Yep
Any questions: What are the hours? Do you still do midnight to morning shifts? No.

This was legit it, there were two people in the room, one is the store manager the other the nightfill/replenishment manager. interview was 10mins.

mrpotatoed

HSC
Currently been working replenishment for 4 months, interview was legit this:
Tell me about yourself: I said i'm a uni student and worked at a small conveneince store during high school. I live local and have access to my own car.
Can you work fridays and saturdays: Yes, I'm available all week in the afternoons since uni is during the day so I'm not affected.
Can you work more shifts during busy work periods such as christmas:Yep
Any questions: What are the hours? Do you still do midnight to morning shifts? No.

This was legit it, there were two people in the room, one is the store manager the other the nightfill/replenishment manager. interview was 10mins.
Ahahah I see, do you think rocking up in a t-shirt and shorts will matter. Also how do you find the work?

astroman

HSC
Ahahah I see, do you think rocking up in a t-shirt and shorts will matter. Also how do you find the work?
NOOO don't wear a t-shirt and shorts, woolworths is quite strict on uniform, we sometimes even get told off for wearing white socks lol. Wear black pants, black shoes and a simple shirt, collared polo at least. On the job u can wear a black jacket/jumper/sweater on top if you want. The job is very repetitive and mundane, and can get tiring at times but I treat it as exercise and look on the bright side. An average shift of 3.5 hours, I walk over 10000 steps so get some good walking/running shoes (all black). You will be squatting to fill lower shelves so you will get tired but will make all kindz of ass gainz.

mrpotatoed

HSC
NOOO don't wear a t-shirt and shorts, woolworths is quite strict on uniform, we sometimes even get told off for wearing white socks lol. Wear black pants, black shoes and a simple shirt, collared polo at least. On the job u can wear a black jacket/jumper/sweater on top if you want. The job is very repetitive and mundane, and can get tiring at times but I treat it as exercise and look on the bright side. An average shift of 3.5 hours, I walk over 10000 steps so get some good walking/running shoes (all black). You will be squatting to fill lower shelves so you will get tired but will make all kindz of ass gainz.
hahaha sorry should have clarified I meant for the interview, but I guess ill just wear that for the interview also. How are the people you work with? Easy to make friends?

astroman

HSC
hahaha sorry should have clarified I meant for the interview, but I guess ill just wear that for the interview also. How are the people you work with? Easy to make friends?
I've heard at many other woolworths there are cliques trying to always befriend the nightfill captain so they don't have to do much work and the others that just do the work and go home, not really at my store though. Since the job has pretty crap hours, 8-12am, mostly the people working are uni students and mums. Each night is different in load/work so tbh you don't get time to talk with others but you do get to know everyone after a while.

message for me questions.

nanakid12

HSC
Oh my god our service dept cuts just keeps getting worse and worse. So far behind on the frontend jobs. Like legit struggling to do anything apart from serve. When supervising the other day, one of the senior managers told me to open a main register... which I did, and I of course got stuck on there. The manager, which I thought was going to take over supervising the floor, disappeared back to the offices and yeah, it's not easy supervising from express, let alone a main.

Anyway, in the "Winning on Service" document on storenet it says:

It is crucial when demonstrating our commitment to provide superior service, that at all times the Customer Service Team Manager/Service Supervisor on duty must remain managing the Service Area and should not operate a register but call on others to do so.
Is this a breach of one of our company procedures that I opened a main lane? Should I have refused to do so?

Customers are literally waiting ages and there is so so much pressure on our skeleton crew service team at the moment. We're relying on other department staff to get by basically, and I just don't know how to go about complaining/approaching this (Human Resources? People Services? :S), because I don't think it's my store manager that is responsible... and heard rumours its going to get worse over the next month ������

I want to enjoy my job, but it's bloody difficult in these conditions.

EDIT: I kind of feel like this topic is something I will get in trouble for posting about, but I genuinely care about the future of my store and mental wellbeing of fellow staff, and I feel that the way these cuts are being applied is definitely not making us an appealing place to shop for our customers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)