The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Xantios

HSC
N/A
I am going to do that how ever apparently a new agreement comes out each year. I can only find a 2012 one.
No, not every year. The 2012 agreement you can find on AllYours is the current EBA. They generally last a few years before being replaced.

HSC
Just make sure he knows you won't be turning up for that shift, and then don't turn up. If you dont get paid for it then take it up with your SM and/or HR.
Well I will be doing that sort of. I will remind them that it is a voluntary shift under the agreement and that it is actually a legal document meaning it is basically illegal to say I am not entitled to that day off. If my boss doesnt sign it, Ill take it to the SM and explain the issue, who will most likely agree with me. If all else fails I will do what you said and say sorry but im not coming either way. I may inform the union who will explain my rights to the bosses, which then they should defiantly sign it. It annoys me though that I know my rights and my department manager doesn't. I am probably going to print out the pages from the agreement showing that I am entitled to a day off.

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Well I will be doing that sort of. I will remind them that it is a voluntary shift under the agreement and that it is actually a legal document meaning it is basically illegal to say I am not entitled to that day off. If my boss doesnt sign it, Ill take it to the SM and explain the issue, who will most likely agree with me. If all else fails I will do what you said and say sorry but im not coming either way. I may inform the union who will explain my rights to the bosses, which then they should defiantly sign it. It annoys me though that I know my rights and my department manager doesn't. I am probably going to print out the pages from the agreement showing that I am entitled to a day off.
Yes. If your department manager is non receptive then speak to your ASM or SM. Failing that you can ring HR, the SDA or Fair Work Australia. :)

HSC
Yes. If your department manager is non receptive then speak to your ASM or SM. Failing that you can ring HR, the SDA or Fair Work Australia. :)
Ok I got some results. It turns out that he was wrong just like he always was however there is a catch. He told me that I was right however because I didn't give 4 weeks notice when I in fact did, I cant take annual leave. I explained to him I did, its just he got to organizing it all a week late. I told him then that I am away and that I cant come under any circumstance. He suggested trying to swap shifts with someone however only 4 people are not rostered, 2 being unavalible. If I can't find a swap, can I take the day off anyway? I will make sure he knows I wont show up but if I get info it could be handy.

nanakid12

HSC
Pretty sure it says when you give four weeks notice over Easter, it can't be "unreasonably refused". So you've given the four weeks notice, so I think unless they're going to be severely short-staffed then you should be able to take leave.

BSammy

HSC
Yeah, like see if someone can do your shift. but if they can't then THAT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO A DAY OFF.

So sure, make a couple of phone calls, but it won't make a difference to your circumstances.

The agreement doesn't even mention the amount of notice your'e supposed to give (because it doesn't matter). It just says Public Holidays are completely voluntary.

nanakid12

HSC
The agreement doesn't even mention the amount of notice your'e supposed to give (because it doesn't matter). It just says Public Holidays are completely voluntary.
Oh, it doesn't? I didn't check but I just assumed they were talking about the same clause as it is for New Years Eve, similar situation to what I had. I have them two weeks notice instead of four and they didn't approve it, so I had to work my 7pm-midnight shift.

HSC
Oh, it doesn't? I didn't check but I just assumed they were talking about the same clause as it is for New Years Eve, similar situation to what I had. I have them two weeks notice instead of four and they didn't approve it, so I had to work my 7pm-midnight shift.
Certain hours are voluntary. I think its after 6 pm here in NSW.

HSC
Yeah, like see if someone can do your shift. but if they can't then THAT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO A DAY OFF.

So sure, make a couple of phone calls, but it won't make a difference to your circumstances.

I will be taking the day off anyway as I have paid a bit of money to travel interstate with my girlfriend for a few days. I just will hate receiving a phone call asking where am I. I will obviously say I told them I was interstate this weekend and that I gave notice. I am trying to find a swap but its looking hard at the moment but I will make a mention on the thursday about Saturday. The main cause of this is that I gave the boss my leave form 4 weeks in advance but the boss didn't take action til a week later.

nanakid12

HSC
This is a bit of a random topic, but do any of you peeps know staff who are married or dating, and work together? Or they met through Woolworths?

Went out clubbing a few weeks ago, saw one of our previous relief managers who said "Woolworths relationships never work out" haha, just got me wondering about everyone's experiences with this

BSammy

HSC
yeah there's a few couples in my store. they're all split in different departments so they don't really work 'together' but we have a few yeah

Katebrunner

HSC
I've dated people from work before, no big deal. There is one girl at work who met her husband through woolies (at another store though).

Also there is a mother and son who both work at our store which I think is a bit weird.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

nanakid12

HSC
Didn't work out?

We have a few different families working at our store. Brother and sister and their mother (she transferred though). A mother and daughter. One blokes step-son. Me and my cousin. CSM and his niece. Another mother and her son

It's like a family store :S

the way to go

HSC
Ok this is pretty cool. Google Street View inside the new coles at Broadway nsw.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q&l...wU&sa=X&ei=6Y4CU8K-F7DoiALAk4CgCg&gl=AU&hl=en

And it's such a beautiful store, it shits all over the new woolies stores :(
yeah theres a new one of these in my area, the woolies in the same complex probably hasnt been touched for the past 10 years, old shelving, old signage, and the last reno wasnt even completely finished according to the staff, theyve had little improvements like a sushi bar, but everythings just breaking down, even the flooring keeps peeling off, how the hell is that store supposed to compete?

nanakid12

HSC
How do they decide when the stores get refurbed? Does corporate pay for it, or does the store have to save up for it? I still don't understand how this works.

What type of business structure is this, and is it the same as Wal-Mart in the States? I know that woolies and Coles aren't a franchise like IGA and that corporate owns the stores, but I'm just puzzled as to how it works with profits, because the duty manager was telling me that corporate profits off deals it makes with suppliers, then the store keeps profits it makes on selling the products, and if thought that was a complete crock of shit.

Any help? Cheers :)

Also, there's a new store in our area group that looks similar to that Coles store in the picture. It's woolies though, and it is so much better. Good thing is, whenever I go in, they have 1-2 registers open and nobody waiting at the self serve! But I never go there at peak period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)