The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

nanakid12

HSC
Regarding discount cards,
I really don't care who presents the card to be honest. I have more important things to worry about. I've only ever encountered one person to ever ask me for my I.D for it and that was at Dick Smiths just after I started in 2008.

I'm not sure of the official policy, I might look it up today and get back to you. Customers can easily just go through a self-serve checkout anyway and get away with it.
----
Not too sure about the electric pallet jack... not my department sorry haha

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
does anyone know the fastest way to link the staff discount card to everyday rewards? I think I may have to call up, because on the all yours site it just takes me to the everyday rewards site...

Katebrunner

HSC
Hi guys, a little bit off topic here - I was serving on register today and a customer and her friend/sister/whatever presented a Staff Discount Card. I don't always check staff cards but this one had a male's name and a "(1)" at the end, signifying it to be a primary card. The customers were, once again, both female so I requested ID. She said she didn't have anything on her, to which I replied "a credit card or anything with your name on it would be fine." She then said "I have HIS drivers license if you need that." From thereon I knew it definitely wasn't her card. I said in a polite voice "Ok, under the Woolworths Limited Staff Discount Card policy, a card may only be presented by the person who's name is printed on the card, I may ask for ID upon presentation and I am obliged to confiscate the card if it is presented by an unauthorised person." She had a huff and puff and asked if her husband could come and pick it up, to which I replied "I have to pass this card onto my store manager and they will then contact your husband's store's manager and I'm not sure what happens from there." She didn't have much to say after that and wasn't rude or anything, but the next part is what got me. Being 7pm the manager wasn't in so I handed it to the duty manager straight away as I was going on a tea break and explained why I confiscated it. The DM then said that they would have "told them not to do it again and to get a secondary card". I apologised and went on my tea break. 5 minutes later the DM walks into the tea room where only I was seated and told me that they "didn't mean to sound nasty but you're just an operator, not you, not the service supervisor or even the CSM are authorized to do that...you can't just take someone's discount card away from them..."

So any persons out there that have experience with this topic and know the discount card policy and/or where I can find one, your feedback would be much appreciated...Thanks :)
Maybe the policy does say that the card can be confiscated, but its a pretty extreme way of dealing with it. There are other ways you could have handled it in a more customer friendly way. Eg you could have just made a note of the card details so it can be passed onto HR. At the very least you should have checked with a supervisor first. No offense but if a junior staff member tried to do that to me I'd kick up a big stink.

HSC
does anyone know the fastest way to link the staff discount card to everyday rewards? I think I may have to call up, because on the all yours site it just takes me to the everyday rewards site...
That how you register. I remember few months back I ordered a new card since my old one was worn and needing replacement. You have to click register for everyday rewards and that you have a card. When it prompts you for the card number enter the number beneath the barcode. Just fill out every other detail as normal. If you look at your cards online it will say your nane and staff card

HSC
Regarding discount cards,
I really don't care who presents the card to be honest. I have more important things to worry about. I've only ever encountered one person to ever ask me for my I.D for it and that was at Dick Smiths just after I started in 2008.

I'm not sure of the official policy, I might look it up today and get back to you. Customers can easily just go through a self-serve checkout anyway and get away with it.
----
Not too sure about the electric pallet jack... not my department sorry haha
With the electric pallet jack maybe its a younger age. Its only restricted for insurance though and the rules with it are stupid. As soon as you let go of the thing it stops. In my opinion there safer than normal pallet jacks that anyone can use because it has the braking system. I hate the fact that pallets cant be taken out on the trading floor when its trading hours using the electric. I can understand why the fork is restricted but not the electric pallet jack.

HSC
Sounds wrong to me! If they didn't want unauthorised use of the Staff Discount Card then they would let any operator confiscate it. I think you did the right thing! It clearly says on the back of the card; Unauthorised use of the card will result in the card being confiscated at point of sale or something along that line. I personally don't check staff discount cards in express alerts but if your an operator its good that your doing your job right. I would have showed your DM the Code of Conduct and say it doesnt make sense that I can't confiscate it. Also the way the DM said not to do it again and apply for a secondary card is stupid. Say to the DM thats how repeat offences happen. The way she said to you that your just an operator is discrimination. Next time you see your store manager ask if you can have a short conversation with him/her and explain the scenario on what happened, and then tell him/her about telling the customer not to do it again and to apply for a secondary card and about how the DM discriminated about your role. If no action is taken about this then I believe you can call the SDA union about the discrimination part. Back to the topic with the card im sure your manager will be able to take appropiate action next time. If you ever confiscate a discount card again then put it in an envelope and leave a note stating why it was confiscated.
Thats if you want to go into that length. DMs are pricks most of the anyway.

T_Knight

HSC
Does anyone know when the new uniforms come into effect?? Keep putting off ordering mine, even with the extra shirt and reduced price, just cant be bothered yet. Will probably leave it till the last day when thouands of last-minute orders are being processed and my size will be out of stock by then :haha:.

Who did that All Ears survey? CSM made everyone on frontend fill the darn thing in the other day during our breaks (apparently there's store participation targets for it this year lol)

BSammy

HSC
as logn as you order before the 4th of march you'll be alright(that's when the discounts end). i think we start wearing them sometime in march, and sometime in may is when they want everyone wearing them.

ClassOf2013

HSC
Want to apply to Woolworths, i'm dead sick of McDonalds, but their careers website (WOW Jobs) is terrible, most of the 'store operations' jobs listed on there, when you click on them, it says that the job has been deleted or is no longer open to application. I found one job vacancy in the whole of Sydney that was actually open to application, I find that hard to believe given that there's something like 100 Woolworths stores in Sydney only one actually has any vacancies whatsoever. Does anyone have any tips regarding the website or how to apply in general?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Want to apply to Woolworths, i'm dead sick of McDonalds, but their careers website (WOW Jobs) is terrible, most of the 'store operations' jobs listed on there, when you click on them, it says that the job has been deleted or is no longer open to application. I found one job vacancy in the whole of Sydney that was actually open to application, I find that hard to believe given that there's something like 100 Woolworths stores in Sydney only one actually has any vacancies whatsoever. Does anyone have any tips regarding the website or how to apply in general?

theres been a nationwide lock on employment in supermarkets for general jobs (the ones you want), honestly not sure when it ends but its the reason why there are so little jobs available

Last edited:
HSC

Try taking a resumé to stores near you. Ask the service desk that you would like to talk to the store nanager. Don't rely on them to give it to them because alot of the time it will sit in a folder for months (trust me. I was a service supervisor part-time for 6 months before I said I prefer inventory way better and changed back to inventory completely. When the store manager comes introduce yourself, shake hands and mention your prefered role. Good luck!

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Try taking a resumé to stores near you. Ask the service desk that you would like to talk to the store nanager. Don't rely on them to give it to them because alot of the time it will sit in a folder for months (trust me. I was a service supervisor part-time for 6 months before I said I prefer inventory way better and changed back to inventory completely. When the store manager comes introduce yourself, shake hands and mention your prefered role. Good luck!
I know at least in our region (Region 1), we are no longer allowed to accept resumes in store. its online only. Any resumes re receive must go straight in the bin :(

T_Knight

HSC
So who has their new name badges?? The circle ones with "fresh food person since ****" on it?? I don't have mine yet though.
So who has their new name badges?? The circle ones with "fresh food person since ****" on it?? I don't have mine yet though.
Yep. Our store got them just after xmas.
They look RIDICULOUS!!! Like a 2 year old designed them *gag*. The round shape resembles a charity donations badge more than anything. Even worse, all of the text is in this light green/yellow colour, they should have printed the name part in black/dark green to make it easier to read.

Silly higher-ups trying to be "different". Up there in bonehead decisions alongside that dumb 'jeans' uniform rule. We all know how that soon went. (fail)
*Rant aside* MAYBE it goes "slightly" better with the new dark-green uniform. Just doesn't change the fact the new badges are difficult to read - you have to stop and focus for about 3 seconds, then after that, figure out exactly where the name is amongst all that text. *sigh*

nanakid12

HSC
Do you have eyesight problems? They're fine to read. Only issue I have is that it says my full first name instead of my short-first name that everyone calls me.

They must be made for the new uniforms though I reckon.

Does anyone know how it works with working in different stores? Should I just go in and see the store, and give them my details in case they need any extra assistance? And is it all the same with the finger scanner and everything, just sign on with your payroll number?

I've worked at the same store for the past five year and would appreciate seeing how different it is in a few others in the area.

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
If you work in a different store you need to use the emergency sign on sheet. Fingerscan won't work.

You can try that, your best bet is talking to the department managers of where you want to work.
If you know someone at another store, that sometimes works better.

Katebrunner

HSC
What does everyone think of the sexual harassment case against woolies going through court at the moment? I think I'd like to be harrassed if I could get $1.3 mil for it.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

BSammy

HSC
I think that point of view is offensive to the women who suffered the abuse. (Unless it turns out she faked it for the money, but I have no reason to think that is the case, (that is what the court is for))

T_Knight

HSC
*Not a good look for woolworths as the story is over the news sites. But keeping it into perspective, the incident was from way back in 2011. Seems like one of those unlucky cases of having to work with a psychopathic creep. The store should have taken the matter seriously when the lady first reported it and sacked the guy immediately (cause it went from verbal to physical harassment). Oh well, no way would that sort of thing happens unnoticed today, one report and byebye.

*note: the above post is my own personal opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)