The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
but other states have a payrise AT 16. you group 13-15's together, then a payrise every birthday 16-21.
Yeah, but according to her, she is on the same pay rate as me (16 and under in Victoria). I highly doubt they pay 14/15 year olds $10.54 an hour and still offer a pay rise at 16.

twelvemonths

HSC
Technically it's under 17 I think.

Or at least that's what I think it is in my state. Check your agreement if you want to be sure.

kahlanei

HSC
They were taken at Highpoint Shopping Center, Melbourne. I remember these registers from when I was a child, really bizarre, all facing the same direction. I was gonna take some of the smokes counter but there were too many customers around lol...
We still have those registers in Roma QLD.

groovygirl

HSC
Casuals - Do you find your own replacements when you can't work a shift or just leave it to your super/manager?
I do try my hardest to find a replacement. It is really hard. I asked so many girls if they would want my shift plus a guy that was in need of shifts and they all said no. I felt like so upset cos noone wanted my shift. They dont realise they could earn extra and gain an extra shift. I notified my manager and 2ic on the phone that i cant work this saturday cos of a close family member in hospital. I called in the afternoon to tell them and 2 hours later my manager told me good news that she found a replacement for me. This has been a relief to me. So finally leaving it upto my 2ic manager/s was better way then me replacing my own shifts. I cant believe it took my managers 3 hours to call me back to let me know that she replaced my shift. Im lucky to have managers that can find a replacement, since me trying to find my own replacement didnt work.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Looking forward to my 7 hour self serve shift tonight (3-10:30). Saturday is our dead deserted night (more then the other weeknights), so I bond with the supervisors and other staff a lot.

Should be a great shift!

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
most of my casual operators (the good ones) will always find replacements for their shifts if they cant work them, or come in if they cant.

a minority will just be like "lol, cant do this shift, bye" i hate that

but actually what i hate even more, and happens more frequently, is that given store size and the fact that only 2 checkout operators actually stick to their contracts every week, we will often let PPT's take days off in the same was as casuals, just by N/A'ing, i have NEVER known a PPT-er to find a replacement in that situation (don't get me wrong, if they are applying for leave through official channels, damn straight it is my responsibility to find covering staff, it when they apply for unofficial leave)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Maybe you could make a rule saying "if your part time and you want unofficial leave then please endeavour to find a replacement" and make sure its known that at most stores this wouldn't be allowed at all so they're very lucky?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Worked 5.10 am til 2.10 pm today.

Wrecked, haven't slept since like, I don't know, all I know is it was bad.

tubtub

HSC
just wondering, whats the maximum number of hours a casual can work at woolies during the christmas period? is it still 38 hours?

twelvemonths

HSC
I thought it was 30... yep, just checked the agreement. It says the following (paraphrased):

You can work 30 ordinary hours per week if you're a casual. However, for a period not in excess of 4 consecutive weeks, you can work for 38 hours.

That's from the WA SDA agreement.

By the way, if anyone's lost theirs, it's actually available online from this site: Collective agreements - made after 27 March 2006

Search for 'woolworths' and scroll down to the bottom half of the page. The NSW/ACT, Qld and WA agreements are all there (not sure about Victoria, didn't check. May still be under Safeway but I'm not sure).

Speaking of agreements, when's that national one supposed to appear?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
just wondering, whats the maximum number of hours a casual can work at woolies during the christmas period? is it still 38 hours?
depends on state, in NSW during christmas anybody can work up to 48 hours without overtime, providing 152 hours isnt exceeded for 4 weeks.

As for the national agreement guys, CoreComms says that there will be a PAID information session about it coming up early next year.

MMacka

HSC
N/A
I thought it was 30... yep, just checked the agreement. It says the following (paraphrased):

You can work 30 ordinary hours per week if you're a casual. However, for a period not in excess of 4 consecutive weeks, you can work for 38 hours.

That's from the WA SDA agreement.

By the way, if anyone's lost theirs, it's actually available online from this site: Collective agreements - made after 27 March 2006

Search for 'woolworths' and scroll down to the bottom half of the page. The NSW/ACT, Qld and WA agreements are all there (not sure about Victoria, didn't check. May still be under Safeway but I'm not sure).

Speaking of agreements, when's that national one supposed to appear?
Not an expert on this issue but...
It will probably be next year sometime. I saw a notice on the wall saying we will receive an interim pay rise on the 04/01/2010 from some head of supermarket person working at head office. When the final pay rise is negotiated we will receive backpay from this date. Then we have to all vote on the agreement, votes counted and then pass the no disadvantage test. Since we are going to given a national payrise some states will receive a bigger rise than others to bring everyone in line. I am also hoping in the new agreement that junior rates only go up to 20 instead of 21. Since woolworths petrol were able to lower their junior rate age to 20 I believe in their new agreement that just passed.

With voting is there suppose to be a proper way of voting for the agreement? In WA when our last agreement went through over a year ago in our store all we had was this room where we went in in our own leisure time and had to write yes or no on a scrap bit of paper. There was nothing stopping anyone just getting more votes than others. Would this be sort of illegal for the company to not have a good voting system? If so could we dispute the new agreement if the voting isn't fair? If anyone is an expert in this area let me know. :)

twelvemonths

HSC
Paid? Well, that's OK then.

Hopefully the shocking under 17 rate will lift a bit for WA. $6.99 for part-timers is awful!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Not an expert on this issue but...
It will probably be next year sometime. I saw a notice on the wall saying we will receive an interim pay rise on the 04/01/2010 from some head of supermarket person working at head office. When the final pay rise is negotiated we will receive backpay from this date. Then we have to all vote on the agreement, votes counted and then pass the no disadvantage test. Since we are going to given a national payrise some states will receive a bigger rise than others to bring everyone in line. I am also hoping in the new agreement that junior rates only go up to 20 instead of 21. Since woolworths petrol were able to lower their junior rate age to 20 I believe in their new agreement that just passed.

With voting is there suppose to be a proper way of voting for the agreement? In WA when our last agreement went through over a year ago in our store all we had was this room where we went in in our own leisure time and had to write yes or no on a scrap bit of paper. There was nothing stopping anyone just getting more votes than others. Would this be sort of illegal for the company to not have a good voting system? If so could we dispute the new agreement if the voting isn't fair? If anyone is an expert in this area let me know. :)
that sounds a bit dodgy, when we did ours, the in store union rep individually gave the union members a ballot paper, then collected it when we were done, so no double voting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)