The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
I'm looking for a new job and will hopefully leave woolies a couple of weeks before christmas for somwhere else, they are going to hurt me.

hussk

HSC
woolies uestion

hey guys

ive only just started working at woolies, literally(today was first shift) and just wanna clarify sumthin.

Im 17 and casual. I have booked a holiday over the christmas period (22nd - 27th) and was wondering of they will allow me to take these holidays and if they will how much notice is required.

I know its probably a stupid question but i am new to this whole employed concept.

Thanks.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: woolies uestion

you can take them, but they wont be happy, as chances are they only hired you to cover shifts during the peak period christmas time

HSC

they generally like everyone available at christmas time, but really there's not much you can do about it if its fully booked before you got the job. if you let them know asap then you *should* be sweet, but yeah they aren't going to be happy.

Peartie

HSC

they wont be happy, but seeing as ur casual you should get away with it - give em 2 weeks notice though...before they start trying to make the roster

and theyll yell at u n shit asking why, when you applied you didnt put it down....theres a question asking if you have any planned holidays within the next 6 months...

Pilotdude

HSC
babikakez said:
As she was the only supervisor closing yesterday, i believe that she should have been around to help us. I am not a supervisor - yes I am capable of doing things like refunds, control check, snapping tills etc - but only when I have the required privileges. Therefore, I can't answer bells when I know that everyone needs privileges. Other staff members could have cleaned if it was THAT much of a priority.
So does your csm/ssm go into office and change your privledges every day if you require them or not?

If so how stupid, they should just give you the priv's and be done with it.

Our thursday night was excellent for one, we had 10 closers and 2 supervisors so it was excellent except for snapping the tills at the end of the night!!

Im so so so over the supermarket atm, good thing is i get along really well with the service manager and been out to the pub, nightclub etc with her and other managers!

In terms of resigning as per EBA:
Casual: 1 shifts notice
PPT/PT/FT: 2 Weeks
But if youve been there a certain number of years you have to give so much notice.

elena24

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
3 years? far too long. ;) no offence though.

Hey, how do references work? Like does a new place just phone your woolies store and talk to the first person who knows you? Or what?
i know..how sad is it! :( i just dont know where the time went and couldnt be stuffed applyin for another job..so ill just give three weeks max notice(one for each yr!), those asswipes dont deserve more time.

HSC
Pilotdude said:
So does your csm/ssm go into office and change your privledges every day if you require them or not?

If so how stupid, they should just give you the priv's and be done with it..
Thats exactly what he does, so on a thursday I start at 5.30, I generally get privileges put on before my csm leaves, he'll leave them on for my friday shift, but then I won't have them on saturday. But some days, it gets forgotten about, so I won't have privileges and the other supervisor on with me gets REALLY PISSED OFF!

but, he says I can't have privileges permanently because
  1. there isn't always a need (e.g. saturdays)
  2. I'm too young to be a rostered supervisor (i don't turn 16 until next wed)
  3. it would exceed quota.
I'm so glad that I have tomorrow off. Even if I do have exams all week (which is a horrible thought anyway), sunday mornings are sooo stressful (as guess what I won't have privileges on a sunday either, even if thats when we truly need me to have them)

HSC

Last christmas a casual at my store took holidays for the whole of December - but then again she had been there three years. And besides, I don't know what their reaction was.

There's a newbie at my store in the same position as the OP, but she plans on working for 6 weeks, then quitting, then going on holidays. But I think that that's just stupid.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
elena24 said:
i know..how sad is it! :( i just dont know where the time went and couldnt be stuffed applyin for another job..so ill just give three weeks max notice(one for each yr!), those asswipes dont deserve more time.
This is the part of the Vic EBA that concerns resigning:

i. In order to terminate the employment of an employee the employer shall give to the employee the following notice:

Period of Continuous Service Period of Notice

Less than 1 year - 1 week
1 year but less than 3 years - 2 weeks
3 years but less than 5 years - 3 weeks
5 years and over - 4 weeks

i. The notice of termination required to be given by an employee shall be the same as that required of an employer, save and except that there shall be no additional notice based on the age of the employee concerned.

ii. Subject to financial obligations imposed on an employer by any Act, if an employee fails to give notice the employer shall have the right to withhold monies due to the employee with a maximum amount equal to the ordinary nine rate of pay for the period of notice from any money due to the employee under this agreement.

So you were right in thinking of giving 3 weeks notice!

Here's the link to the Victorian EBA if you wish to peruse it http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/view.asp?docid=246086&query=(SAFEWAY)&page=40&quickview=Y
Theres prolly a new one out (there is for NSW/ACT) but that clause wouldnt've changed.

So yeah, I've just done my first ever 40 hour working week with WW, and I don't like it!!! + I'll have to do it all again this week!!! Arrrggggh!

Goddamn people having time off and my manager not replacing them!!!

So what do you NSW WW peeps think of the new agreement?
The only change that effects me is the Sunday penalty rate changes.. and this pisses me off 'cause Sunday is my cashcow day!!!
If I didn't know any better, I'd think that the SDA is a subsidiary of WOW...

elena24

HSC
dimzi said:
This is the part of the Vic EBA that concerns resigning:

i. In order to terminate the employment of an employee the employer shall give to the employee the following notice:

Period of Continuous Service Period of Notice

Less than 1 year - 1 week
1 year but less than 3 years - 2 weeks
3 years but less than 5 years - 3 weeks
5 years and over - 4 weeks

i. The notice of termination required to be given by an employee shall be the same as that required of an employer, save and except that there shall be no additional notice based on the age of the employee concerned.

ii. Subject to financial obligations imposed on an employer by any Act, if an employee fails to give notice the employer shall have the right to withhold monies due to the employee with a maximum amount equal to the ordinary nine rate of pay for the period of notice from any money due to the employee under this agreement.

So you were right in thinking of giving 3 weeks notice!

Here's the link to the Victorian EBA if you wish to peruse it http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/view.asp?docid=246086&query=(SAFEWAY)&page=40&quickview=Y
Theres prolly a new one out (there is for NSW/ACT) but that clause wouldnt've changed.

So yeah, I've just done my first ever 40 hour working week with WW, and I don't like it!!! + I'll have to do it all again this week!!! Arrrggggh!

Goddamn people having time off and my manager not replacing them!!!

So what do you NSW WW peeps think of the new agreement?
The only change that effects me is the Sunday penalty rate changes.. and this pisses me off 'cause Sunday is my cashcow day!!!
If I didn't know any better, I'd think that the SDA is a subsidiary of WOW...
Thanks alot for plucking that out :) 40 hrs..gees the most ive done is around 30 something and i thought that was hell...!

jess241

HSC
Hey everyone. Just wondering if its worth applying for a job as a woolies check out chick if I'll only be there for 3 months maximum (joining the navy early next year, lmao). Im 17 and just finished the hsc so youth allowance is over. Reading through it doesnt seem like the greatest job in the world, but i really just need the dough.

Is it an easy to learn job and what would the pay be for part time or casual?

And coles is an option to, spose they're both basically the same?

Peartie

HSC
from meomry coles dont pay as much...

dont tell them youll only be there three months...say youll be there for @ least a year or some other BS.....

part time for a 17 year old is like $10 i think and casual is 20% loading on that....correct me if im wrong - im going off people grumblings from my store about their shit pay - im 20 and get like 14 an hour......

XPIOTOS

HSC

just make sure you let them know. it's only 5 days, they shouldn't complain too much. maybe you could offer to do other shifts around that time? i worked at safeway for nearly 18 months (quit recently) and yeah they're never happy but they'll get over it, especially if you give them plenty of notice.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

employers are never happy when you can't come to work because of other committments ie holiday, family, school, whatever. but they have to get over it, just make sure you tell them ASAP and be ready for an ear-bashing.

HSC
if you're going for three months go for a casual position otherwise it really isn't worth it, especially since you'll be on probationary pay rates.

has anyone been asked for i.d. after presenting their discount card? i was asked for it today...i know they *can* ask for it, but they usually don't check/care?

Pilotdude

HSC
babikakez said:
I'm too young to be a rostered supervisor (i don't turn 16 until next wed)
Ah okay, but still how stupid is that!, thatd ge ton my nerves having to go in and change privleges every day lol

watatank said:
if you're going for three months go for a casual position otherwise it really isn't worth it, especially since you'll be on probationary pay rates.

has anyone been asked for i.d. after presenting their discount card? i was asked for it today...i know they *can* ask for it, but they usually don't check/care?
Bit weird especially now that the card comes up cancelled if they have been terminated, only ever asked once for id because i knew it was a friend of the person.

Also do you guys let parent use their kids d/c cards for smokes/alcohol as we dont, very strict on that policy!

PRE-SWIPE finally coming soon, watch this space, was suppose to come a few weeks ago but didnt due to issues again but apparntley its all ready to go now.

Lol elena ive been with the company for almost 4 years!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)