The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

rose2

HSC
Hey,does anyone know how to apply for replacement of 2nd dtaff discount card?
As my mum lost her card,and i need to apply one for her..

Is it the same procedure as we did to get the first one?Thanx...

PyroTek

HSC
Went in at 5am today. Deli manager comes in at 5:15 and starts slicing, goes home 45 mins later - sick. opened deli solo, my first open too... I think I did a good job, was not a fan of the 4.5 hours of work before a tea break. shit sucks.

HSC
Okay, I just had the most whacked phone conversation with my CSM regarding sick leave, so I thought you guys might know better.

So last year I had massive surgery on my jaw, the store knew about it, I needed like 2 months off etc. It was a drama then, so I knew my CSM would remember. Anyway, there are three plates holding the left side of my jaw together - well sometime on Sunday one of them slipped at the left side of my jaw slowly swelled and became an uncomfortable nightmare. I went and saw the surgeon people yesterday (its a pretty common thing to happen with that kind of surgery), and they took xrays, and they just rang me to say that the plates need to be replaced completely, and they've scheduled that for next thursday. Basically, it needs to happen ASAP, so I didn't care.
After that phone call, I rang my CSM to say I need next thursday + friday off, explained it all, apologised for the short notice, but there wasn't much I could do about it. She then went on to have a go at me firstly for the short notice, but then for scheduling something like that for a day when not only do I work, but that I supervise.

That didn't bother me too much, but then she all went on about how there's no way I'm going to get sick leave for those days because I won't have enough accrued, but thats absolutely ridiculous right? You only get leave for the days you are contracted (so for me thats just Thursday, I always work Fridays but its not in my contract), and the shift is only four hours? I then asked her if I could make it up on either Monday or Wednesday, or take it as unpaid leave if thats the case? Then she replies with "it doesn't work like that Jess, you can't just change the days you work when you feel like it".

NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT YOU ROSTER ME LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME BUT WHATEVER. I'm contracted to 10.5 hours, I work between 18-28 hours every week, guaranteed.

So yeah, tldr. If I have a medical certificate, and I've NEVER taken sick leave before (been PT for near on two months), I'll get that four hours paid yes? Or if I can't, I have the right to take it as unpaid?

bdude

HSC
You won't have enough accrued sick leave (10.5hrs part time = 21 hours paid sick leave per annum)

I don't think that the four hour additional shift will be able to be paid for out of sick leave as I guess it's considered like a casual shift and as such no paid leave applies - but you should definitely be able to just forfeit the shift just like a casual could.

I think - but I'm not sure - that some businesses allow you to take a few hours of sick leave in advance.

HSC
You won't have enough accrued sick leave (10.5hrs part time = 21 hours paid sick leave per annum)

I don't think that the four hour additional shift will be able to be paid for out of sick leave as I guess it's considered like a casual shift and as such no paid leave applies - but you should definitely be able to just forfeit the shift just like a casual could.

I think - but I'm not sure - that some businesses allow you to take a few hours of sick leave in advance.
I was under the impression that I accrued sick leave for EVERY shift I worked (even the one's I'm not contracted for), but could not TAKE sick leave for additional shifts.

Its still a pretty crap deal though.

bdude

HSC
Actually, I was reading the WA Woolworths award and it says that additional shifts are included in the calculation of your annual/sick leave... so you should be able to use it for the Friday shift.

HSC
Actually, I was reading the WA Woolworths award and it says that additional shifts are included in the calculation of your annual/sick leave... so you should be able to use it for the Friday shift.
Yeah its not even a big deal if I don't get it. I can live without the $48 or whatever I get from that shift - I was more amazed that my CSM had a massive issue with it, considering she hadn't even done rosters yet.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I would go straight to your SM babikakez. The situation is out of your control - it's not like you forced the plates to slip and your CSM should not try to send you on a guilt trip because of it. Her behaviour is totally unacceptable as a manager.

So she has to find replacement workers for your shifts, I think that is a lot easier than what you have to go through. Also, I wouldn't consider a week short notice. Short notice is 2 hours before your shift starts.

HSC
I would go straight to your SM babikakez. The situation is out of your control - it's not like you forced the plates to slip and your CSM should not try to send you on a guilt trip because of it. Her behaviour is totally unacceptable as a manager.

So she has to find replacement workers for your shifts, I think that is a lot easier than what you have to go through. Also, I wouldn't consider a week short notice. Short notice is 2 hours before your shift starts.
Oh I am. I'm going to see what happens with the rosters for next week, because she said she'd 'try' and fit me in (or out, you know what I mean), but I'm at least going to speak to our SSM first, because he's asked that ANY incidents of her crap-managerness go to him, before they blow up into a big deal.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
speaking of early starts
THU: 0700-1400, god help me getting out of bed at 6 :(
Try getting outta bed at 4 am for 5 am starts 6 days in a row ;) Or 18 of the last 20 days! ;)
(And throw in a few nice 2 and 3 am starts in there across the last couple of weeks too!!! And like minimum of 12 hours every single one of those days!!!)
here is the cake i promised for 10,000 posts u gaiz sorry it is late

You lie. Jet made that cake.

I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy.
I do this every day. At Woolies. :cool:

Roga

HSC
Longshot but does anyone have a black vest/pullover they're are trying to sell? I'm looking to buy one before the cold days roll in.

HSC
lol, our centre got evacuated tonight, and they managed to get all the way into the evacuation point before the NF captain (doubling as DM) and supervisor realised that the other one had forgotten to close the doors.
i'm jealous, I am an absolute pro at evacuations.

MMacka

HSC
N/A
Okay, I just had the most whacked phone conversation with my CSM regarding sick leave, so I thought you guys might know better.

So last year I had massive surgery on my jaw, the store knew about it, I needed like 2 months off etc. It was a drama then, so I knew my CSM would remember. Anyway, there are three plates holding the left side of my jaw together - well sometime on Sunday one of them slipped at the left side of my jaw slowly swelled and became an uncomfortable nightmare. I went and saw the surgeon people yesterday (its a pretty common thing to happen with that kind of surgery), and they took xrays, and they just rang me to say that the plates need to be replaced completely, and they've scheduled that for next thursday. Basically, it needs to happen ASAP, so I didn't care.
After that phone call, I rang my CSM to say I need next thursday + friday off, explained it all, apologised for the short notice, but there wasn't much I could do about it. She then went on to have a go at me firstly for the short notice, but then for scheduling something like that for a day when not only do I work, but that I supervise.

That didn't bother me too much, but then she all went on about how there's no way I'm going to get sick leave for those days because I won't have enough accrued, but thats absolutely ridiculous right? You only get leave for the days you are contracted (so for me thats just Thursday, I always work Fridays but its not in my contract), and the shift is only four hours? I then asked her if I could make it up on either Monday or Wednesday, or take it as unpaid leave if thats the case? Then she replies with "it doesn't work like that Jess, you can't just change the days you work when you feel like it".

NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT YOU ROSTER ME LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME BUT WHATEVER. I'm contracted to 10.5 hours, I work between 18-28 hours every week, guaranteed.

So yeah, tldr. If I have a medical certificate, and I've NEVER taken sick leave before (been PT for near on two months), I'll get that four hours paid yes? Or if I can't, I have the right to take it as unpaid?
That seriously makes my blood boil, especially coming from that woman. What she is saying is totally incorrect and its pretty much workplace bullying what she does to you and others. She chooses all her employees to be young (even the mature aged adults act like their children no offense) just so she can have control over everyone.

I suppose you don't want me to say anything. But you should seriously consider doing something about it, she has made you upset so many times. :(

MMacka

HSC
N/A
lol, our centre got evacuated tonight, and they managed to get all the way into the evacuation point before the NF captain (doubling as DM) and supervisor realised that the other one had forgotten to close the doors.
i'm jealous, I am an absolute pro at evacuations.
I thought in an evacuation you didn't have to close the main doors? When it happened at my old store we didn't.

Lol was everyone getting wet in the rain?

HSC
I thought in an evacuation you didn't have to close the main doors? When it happened at my old store we didn't.

Lol was everyone getting wet in the rain?
DM and supervisor must close main doors, and then leave through the staff exit (unless the back dock is 'on fire' (or so they think) - which has happened before :S)

At least thats how it was the last few times I've done them (which you knew seeing as we were only just talking about this the other day :p)

HSC
That seriously makes my blood boil, especially coming from that woman. What she is saying is totally incorrect and its pretty much workplace bullying what she does to you and others. She chooses all her employees to be young (even the mature aged adults act like their children no offense) just so she can have control over everyone.

I suppose you don't want me to say anything. But you should seriously consider doing something about it, she has made you upset so many times. :(
She makes everyone upset every day, I'm just the idiot who can't help but show it so she gets her little power trip.
Its allright, seriously. I'm going to check up on rosters tomorrow night (drafts or costings at least should be available). Just, you know, I thought that being able to talk was an integral part of my job, and I can't guarantee that I will be able to.

Besides, one word to our SSM and I will get exactly what I want ;)

Last edited:

ytrbut

HSC
Longshot but does anyone have a black vest/pullover they're are trying to sell? I'm looking to buy one before the cold days roll in.
I just wear plain black ones I bought from Target, cos with my namebadge it's sufficiently branded to be acceptable. It's been a long time (probably about a year and a half) since I've worked a shift without a vest...it's rather my trademark at work :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)