The Volumes Experience (1 Viewer)

HSC
I suck mighty crap at volumes, so I would love it if someone could do the following. Love it.
a)Find the volume formed when the area between the curve y=x^2 and x=1 is rotated about i) the y-axis
ii) the line y=1
b)"" "" o<=x<=2, 0<=2<= (2x-x^2); about the y-axis
c) Area within (x-1)^2+y^2=1 about the y-axis
d) Enclosed within the ellipse (x-1)^2+y^2/4=1 about the y-axis.
If you can't understand what I've written, it's from exercise 6.1 from Arnold, questions 1c/d

Last edited:

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
hi yrtherenonames,

the best thing is to draw a graph for yourself and then use either the Shells method or the Washer method...
the quiddity of both methods, however, are the same - find the circular area of an slice or the volume of a shell and then sum all such volumes in the specified limits.

Part A (i)

Shell Method:

remember that when using the Shell method, the slices or shells are seated parallel to the axis about which the area is to be rotated. (ie. in this case, it's the y-axis)

Shells are simply vertical strips taken from the area and rotated about the approrpiate (vertical) axis...

so in your case, imagine you are taking any vertical strip of infinitesimally small width (ie. dx) from the area below y=x^2 and to the left of x =1.

so the dimensions of this strip is then: 'y' (which is the height of the strip) times 'dx' which is the width of the strip... ie. Area = y*dx

when this strip is rotated about the y-axis it forms a 'shell' of a cylinder (ie. a hollow cylinder). now you want to find the volume of this shell of cylinder, so the best way is to imagine that you are now opening up this shell and laying it on a flat surface - making a (very) thin rectangular prism.
we know already that two of the dimensions of this prism are 'y' and 'dx' (above). we just need to find the third.
the third dimension is of course the length of the prism - which is the same as the circular circumference of the base or top of the shell cylinder before you opened it up. so the length is then: 2pi*x ; where 'x' acts as the radius.

hence, the volume of any particular cylindrical shell is then: dv = 2pi*x*y*dx

so then sum of all shells in the specified region will then give you the total volume that you seek:
ie. V = 2pi*Int[xydx] from x=1 to x=0; where y = x^2 in this case

so, V = 2pi*Int[x^3 dx] = pi/2*[x^4] , x=1, x=0 ---> V = pi/2 units^3

and that's how you would approach the problem using the method of Shells... just keep practising at it and you'll get it soon enough - remember to 1) imagine the strips first, then 2) opening it up to a flat rect. prism, 3) finding volume of one shell, and then 4) suming the volumes of all the shells up {ie. integrating}.

Washer Method:

the Washer method is similar to the Shell method but with one exception - the initial strips are taken perpendicular to the axis about which the area is to be rotated. (ie. in this case, it's horizontal strips perpendicular to the y-axis.)

pick a point on the curve y=x^2 and imagine yourself taking a horizontal strip from that point to the y-axis, now for your problem this strip is NOT a part of the area/region specified.

the dimensions of this strip is length: x , and width/depth: dy
now the outlying limit of the specified area is x =1 ; so any horizontal strip taken from x =1 to the y-axis will have dimensions length: 1 , and width/depth: dy

the Washer is similar to a hollow disc that is formed when you rotate a horizontal strip of infinitesimally small depth WITHIN the specified area around the y-axis (or any vertical axes);
so since the horizontal strip that you've taken is (as said above) NOT a part of the area, then the volume of this strip after it's been rotated must be subtracted from the volume of a rotated strip from the outlying limit x =1.

after rotation, you need to find the third dimension, just like you did for the Shell.
in this case it's the area of the surface of the disc or washer.
the inner disc (the you will subtract) has a circular surface area of A = pi*x^2; hence the volume of this disc is dv = pi*x^2*dy
similarly, the volume of the disc formed from rotating the horizontal strip of the outlying limit x=1 is: dv = pi*1^2*dy = pi*dy

hence, the real volume of the segmented strip within the specified area after rotation is: pi*dy - pi*x^2*dy = dv = pi*(1 -x^2)dy

therefore, the total volume of the solid of revolution is given by:
V = pi*Int[(1 -x^2)dy] from y =1 to y =0 ; where x^2 =y in this case

so, V = pi*Int[(1 -y)dy] = pi*[y -(1/2)y^2], y=1, y=0 ---> V = pi/2 units^3

{Notice how both the Washer and the Shell method obtains the same volume - which makes sense.}

so that's how you'd approach the problem using the Washer Method... remember to 1) find a horizontal strip within the specified area, 2) rotate that strip around the specified vertical axis (doesn't have to be the y-axis), then 3) find the volume of the washer so formed, and if need be, subtract the volume of an inner disc from the volume of the outer (outlying) disc to find the volume, and 4) suming the volumes of all such washers up between the specified limits {ie. integrating}.
but finally 5) keep practising it until you get the hang of it.

i hope this explanation helps you out a bit yrtherenonames :) ; you should try these methods out on the rest of your questions yourself for practice.
if you get stuck on any of them, then don't hesistate to post again :uhhuh:

Edit: it is crucial to remember however, that under an exam situation, when you come across a question that asks you to find the volume but one that does NOT say it's necessary to use either the Washer or Shell methods (ie. "hence or otherwise"), then it would be an advantage to you if you could simply find the volume using 2 unit maths techniques - which you can for the particular problem in this post.
this can potentially save you a lot of time.

Last edited:

lfc_reds2003

wow went to so much effort
well done WLM

volumes is a good friend of mine; i have to restrain myself in the exaam!!!! hehe

who_loves_maths

HSC
okay, just to make things more convenient for you so you don't need to post and ask again yrtherenonames, here's the rest of the solutions: (with the exception of your question (B), since i don't understand what you're saying there.)

1)VIA SHELLS:

Question A (ii)

a strip has length = (1-x) {parallel to y=1} ; virtual radius = (1-y)

hence, dv = 2pi*(1-y)(1-x)dy ---> V= 2pi*Int[(1-y)(1-x)dy] from y=1 to y=0 ; substitute y=x^2, dy = 2xdx
ie. V = 4pi*Int[x(1-x^2)(1-x)dx] from x=1 to x=0

V = 4pi*Int[(x - x^3 - x^2 + x^4)dx] from x=1 to x=0 ---> V = 4pi*(1/2 -1/4 -1/3 + 1/5) = 4pi*(7/60)

V = 7pi/15 units^3

Question C

the equation is that of a circle which is SYMMETRIC about the x-axis; hence, we simply need to consider the positive-semicircle and then double the volume of that semi-circle rotated about the y-axis to get the full volume.

length of vertical strip = y ; virtual radius = x ;

hence, (for a semicircle) dv = 2pi*x*y*dx
---> (for a FULL circle) V = 4pi*Int[xydx] from x=2 to x=0; where y=Sqrt(1- (x-1)^2)
ie. V = 4pi*Int[x*Sqrt(1- (x-1)^2)dx] from x=2 to x=0

make the substitution (x-1) = Sin(u) ; dx = Cos(u)du , and, x = Sin(u) + 1

hence, V = 4pi*Int[(Sin(u) + 1)Cos^2(u)du] from u =pi/2 to u=-pi/2
---> V = 4pi*Int[Cos^2(u)*Sin(u)du] + 4pi*Int[Cos^2(u)du]
---> V = 4pi*[(1/2)u + (1/4)Sin(2u) -(1/3)Cos^3(u)] from u=pi/2 to u= -pi/2
---> V = 4pi*(pi/2)

V = 2pi^2 units^3

Question D

this is essentially the same as the circle in Question C; once again, observe the SYMMETRY of the ellipse about the x-axis; so we start with a semi-ellipse.

length of vertical strip = y ; virtual radius = x

hence, (for semiellipse) dv = 2pi*x*y*dx
---> (for a FULL ellipse) V = 4pi*Int[xydx] from x=2 to x=0; where y=2Sqrt(1- (x-1)^2)
ie. V = 8pi*Int[x*Sqrt(1- (x-1)^2)dx] from x=2 to x=0

but we already know from Question C above that 4pi*Int[x*Sqrt(1- (x-1)^2)dx] = 2pi^2 from x=2 to x=0

hence, here, V = 4pi^2 units^3

2) VIA WASHERS:

Question A (ii)

volume of inner disc = pi*(1-y)^2*dx ; volume of outlying disc = pi*1^2*dx = pi*dx

hence, volume of washer = volume of outer disc - volume of inner disc ---> dv = pi*(1 - (1-y)^2)*dx = pi*(2y - y^2)*dx ; where y = x^2
---> V = pi*Int[(2x^2 -x^4)dx] from x=1 to x=0
---> V = pi[(2/3) - (1/5)]

V = 7pi/15 units^3

Question C

the circle is SYMMETRIC about not only the x-axis, but also the line x=1 ---> you will need this fact in determining the virtual radius of the outlying disc.

virtual radius of outlying disc = (2-x) ---> {if you don't understand this, i can explain in another post if you wish, but just accept this as true at this stage.}

volume of inner disc = pi*x^2*dy ; volume of outer disc = pi*(2-x)^2*dy

ie. volume of a washer = dv = pi*((2-x)^2 - x^2)*dy = 4pi*(1-x)*dy; where (1-x) = -Sqrt(1 -y^2)
---> (for a FULL circle) V = -8pi*Int[Sqrt(1 -y^2)dy] from y=1 to y=0

make the substitution y=Sin(u); dy = Cos(u)du

V = -8pi*Int[Cos^2(u)du] from u=pi/2 to u=0
---> V = -8pi*(pi/4)

'V' is volume, which is the absolute value of the integral obtained.

ie. V = 2pi^2 units^3

Question D

the ellipse here exhibits the same symmetry properties as the circle.

ie. virtual radius of outlying disc = (2-x)

volume of inner disc = pi*x^2*dy ; volume of outer disc = pi*(2-x)^2^dy

volume of a washer = dv = pi*((2-x)^2 -x^2)*dy = 4pi*(1-x)*dy; where (1-x) = -Sqrt(1 - y^2/4)
---> (for a FULL ellipse) V = -8pi*Int[Sqrt(1 - y^2/4)dy] from y = 2 to y=0

make the substitution y = 2Sin(u) ; dy = 2Cos(u)du

V = -16pi*Int[Cos^2(u)du] from u=pi/2 to u=0
---> V = -16pi*(pi/4)

'V' is volume, which is the absolute value of the integral obtained.

ie. V = 4pi^2 units^3

hope that helps :) but you should pratise them yourself more often to get the hand of the topic.

Last edited:

richz

i agree with drawing the diagrams, just draw them and it shud all come out :)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
yea fuck i suck at em too...

ummm question (this is for cylindrical shells)

can we quote 2Pi xy dx..

my teacher said no but the maths assosiation solutiosn to HSC quotes it and goes on from there..

this really makes the job EXTREMLY EASY (liek 2u)

FinalFantasy

HSC
haboozin said:
yea fuck i suck at em too...

ummm question (this is for cylindrical shells)

can we quote 2Pi xy dx..

my teacher said no but the maths assosiation solutiosn to HSC quotes it and goes on from there..

this really makes the job EXTREMLY EASY (liek 2u)
yes u can use delta v=2pi xy thickness

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
yes u can use delta v=2pi xy thickness
No you can't. I'm pretty sure you have to go from first principles, and if you do that you get marked wrong. Its easy to make mistakes that way anyway since it often isn't the case.

FinalFantasy

HSC
thunderdax said:
No you can't. I'm pretty sure you have to go from first principles, and if you do that you get marked wrong. Its easy to make mistakes that way anyway since it often isn't the case.
huh? r u sure?
cuz our school teacher told us to "memorise it" , that formula...
also my tutor said i can just use it instead of doing first principles...

shafqat

HSC
N/A
I think what thunderdax means is that its not alwas 2pixy. We were taught to write out, radius of shell = ..., height = ...., thickness = d.... Therefore dV = 2pi....
So V = .....

FinalFantasy

HSC
i agree it's not always 2pixy but i believe u CAN just use the formula when it's appropriate..

shafqat

HSC
N/A
Yeah sure. You're not really missing any important computational steps.

who_loves_maths

HSC
Originally Posted by haboozin
can we quote 2Pi xy dx..

first of all, like thunderdax said, not all volumes questions involving the Shell method has the structure 2pi*xy.
an easy example of this is one of the first questions posed at the start of this thread by yrtherenonames:
Originally Posted by yrtherenonames
a)Find the volume formed when the area between the curve y=x^2 and x=1 is rotated about:
ii) the line y=1
and second of all, if you know for a fact or are confident that the particular question you comes up to in an exam is of the nature 2pi*xy, then it wouldn't hurt you to simply write a line: "length=2pix , width =y, depth=dx" just for therapeutic reasons to let the markers know what that you understand the question.
that line only contains three words, three equal signs, and a few symbols... it won't take long to write.

justchillin

HSC
final, memorising any formula is not the way 2 go, it is better to know how to get it than just state it...

FinalFantasy

HSC
justchillin said:
final, memorising any formula is not the way 2 go, it is better to know how to get it than just state it...
yea memorising isn't da way 2 go, but AFTER u know how to do it from first principles and know everything, den y not go for simpler methods to approach questions if possible?

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
sorry Final, its just that our teacher told us that we weren't allowed to just memorise it but he might be wrong.

FinalFantasy

HSC
thunderdax said:
sorry Final, its just that our teacher told us that we weren't allowed to just memorise it but he might be wrong.
hey notin to be sorry for lol
it's good to find out and make it clear:)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
well yea i know but just the solutions in the hsc just start off by assuming 2pi xy dx....
when they ask for cylindrical shells ofcourse and our teacher told us not to quote it even though they quote it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)