The validity of English as a subject. (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
I don't think math should be the compulsory subject. I think it should ALWAYS be english.

BUT, as I've mentioned before the current English subject is not truly english and focuses too much on literary studies. It needs to be MUCH MORE broad on the different topics of English, rather than focusing on 100 year old books.

I can imagine how illiterate our society would become if we made math the compulsory subject (thus making english not compulsory). Half of Australia is made up of immigrants, so we need to focus on English to make sure people actually know how to use it properly.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I don't think math should be the compulsory subject. I think it should ALWAYS be english.

BUT, as I've mentioned before the current English subject is not truly english and focuses too much on literary studies. It needs to be MUCH MORE broad on the different topics of English, rather than focusing on 100 year old books.

I can imagine how illiterate our society would become if we made math the compulsory subject (thus making english not compulsory). Half of Australia is made up of immigrants, so we need to focus on English to make sure people actually know how to use it properly.
lol that *is* the point

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
if by more u mean like other textual forms like film and stuff sure

but if ur referring to just basic grammar skills then no, that shouldn't be a focus in year 11 and 12

Gabriel Moussa

HSC
The English syllabus needs to be changed. I agree its a good subject to have compulsory, but NEEDS RADICAL CHANGE. Literature studies should only be a topic in the subject, not literally the whole subject.
In the UK english lit. and english skills are two different subjects

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
The reason why Maths is not compulsory is utterly ridiculous. The world we live in today revolve around Maths, infact it is literately built by Maths. Making Maths not compulsory is like learning English without learning the Alphabet you still can technically learn English but would it be effective? no, of course not.

Moreover the major argument that is against making Maths compulsory is the fact that it will disadvantage the more 'creative person'. Well if taking Maths course will disadvantage the people who are better at humanities then by the same token the fact that English is a compulsory subject would also disadvantage people who are logically minded.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
The reason why Maths is not compulsory is utterly ridiculous. The world we live in today revolve around Maths, infact it is literately built by Maths. Making Maths not compulsory is like learning English without learning the Alphabet you still can technically learn English but would it be effective? no, of course not.

Moreover the major argument that is against making Maths compulsory is the fact that it will disadvantage the more 'creative person'. Well if taking Maths course will disadvantage the people who are better at humanities then by the same token the fact that English is a compulsory subject would also disadvantage people who are logically minded.
No it isn't lol

Maths is useful, don't get me wrong and I absolutely loved it as a subject but the form in which it is taught is not *necessarily* relevant in everyday life.

AntarcticMonkeys

HSC
this is on a tangent but I have counter proposal for English because I believe the course should enable us to be literate; the English Advanced syllabus should eliminate one of the modules and replace it with 20 marks multiple choice grammar.
Grammar needs to be reinforced at year 12 because while I remember things from primary school, grammar rules aren't one of them, and multiple choice will add some objectivity and preserve our wrists by one less essay.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Just my 2 cents here...
My english teacher says I am great with critical analysis, and verbal coherence, but my writing is what could use improvements. Personally, I think Philosophy would be better for essay writing, because a lot of philosophy is about defending and justifying ones viewpoint. If we could somehow restructure the syllabus to incorporate some of the principles of philosophical literature, then I think that would benefit a lot of people. I also think it would be a lot more engaging, as we could have ethical and socio-geo-political issues intertwined with the textual background

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)