• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the tempest--imaginative journey (1 Viewer)

Chew me:)

HSC
I DONT THINK ITS THAT GREAT... AT ALL!! but feedback:) please?

Imaginative Journeys are a means of exploring a world of realities and possibilities.

Shakespeares The Tempest uses the concept of Imaginative journeys to portray the limitations of the mind, as characters are compelled to explore the possibilities of their choices. Subsequently, an eternal freedom is achieved as characters travel through a journey of self discovery, where the gifts of reconciliation, a greater knowledge, and true authority and power are received. Prosperos transformation from a merciless, vengeful character to that of a more forgiving, peaceful man is portrayed throughout the text, and emphasised through the natural elements, use of personal pronouns, the circle stood in by all characters and the contrast of words within his short sentences in his empathatic speech in act 5, scene 1. Further on, the character of Miranda is used to represent the ideal hope of the future, as the wider world she is introduced to allows her to hypothesise and speculate her reality. Through the use of pun in the case of her name, recurring references to the "divine and wondrous", and the use of contrast, parodox, and irony, Miranda, with the help of her lover Ferdinand, brings possibility to the play. As the characters are taken on a physical journey as a result of the tempest, the readers are taken on one of imagination, as they explore the endless limitations of the mind, and possibilities created by such.

Imaginative Journeys are used to depict possibilities despite realities as transformation takes place. Prospero uses his magic to re-gain the dukedom of Milan. However, through this process, Prospero discovers his capabilities and eventually learns that his magic was the essence of his entrapment, and in order to be set free, he needed to abandon it. Shakespeare shows Prosperos transformations from a man of selfish actions, to that of an accepting, forgivng character through the various changes he encounters and choices he makes throughout the play. Through his initial dialect, it is clear to the audience that Properos use of power is selfish "And these mine enemies are all knit up in their distractions. They are now in my power..." (lines 91-92). The use of the personal pronouns "my power" bring about the selfish, shrewd, insidious nature of Prospero. The use of lightning and thunder also emphasise the evil use of power by Prospero, as they are natural elements that have frightning, negative qualities and allow the audience to hypothesise the upcoming events and possibilities. Will it rain?
Shakespeare uses Mirandas and Ferdinands relationship as a parallel plot to show the begining of Prosperos transformation. As Miranda and Ferdinand begin to join in love, Prospero puts an end to the tests he created in order to unravel Ferdinands true emotions and intentions, as shown in Act 4, scene 1 "If i have too austerely punished you, your compensations makes amends...I tender to thy hand..."(lines 1-5). These lines show Prosperos wilingness to reconcile and lead a better life. Prospero goes on to say "Here, afore heaven, i ratfiy this my rich gift..." (line 8-9) and Ferdinand to say "i do believe it against an oracle". The use of oracles and heavens allow the audience to revert to the endless possibilities that are creations of the mind.
In his speech in Act 5 scene 1, Prospero leads the characters in a circle beforehand, which stands as a metaphor to portray the unity within all charcters, and that all will be revealed. Prospero goes on to forgive characters "I do forgive thee, unnatural, though thou art [to Antonio]" (lines 79-80). The contrast between his statements of insult and forgiveness show just how much Prospero has transformed, and the use of "Unnatural", meaning monster, bring to surface the imaginative quality of the transformation. Throughout his speech, Prospero also appears as an empathetic character "Holy Gonzalo, honorable man,mine eyes, ev'n sociable to the show of thine,fall fellowly drops..." (lines 62-64). This part of his speech shows that Prospero now feels what Gonzalo, a positive, forgiving charcter who does not hold grudges or judge and allows people the privelage of a second channce, feels, thus showing his transofrmation. It is evident, therefore, that Imaginative Journey is used in the The Tempest to show the possibilities and capabilities of Prospero as he transforms.

An ideal hope is necessary in an imaginative Journey, as it opens a world of possibilities, despite realities. In The Tempest Miranda, a naiive charcater, is used to represent such a quality towards the end of the play. Mirandas and Ferdinands transformations are portrayed from the very beginning of their meeting. As Arial sings a song while he is around the two, dramatic irony is used "but doth suffer a sea-change into something rich and strange" (403-404), thus predicting the imminent change between the two. The image of a sea-change is also essential, as it is the basis of the imaginative, metaphoric design of the play. The theme of change is also emphasised when Prospero says "They have changed eyes" (line 440), meaning that they have fallen in love, but the use of the expression hints at the transformations to come. Fernando also uses the expression "O, you Wonder" (line 425) and the word is repeated twice more, which also plays on the meaning of Miranda's name, which means "wonder". The pun used on Mirnadas name, using the word "wonder" has connotations of imaginative qualities, and thus, opens room for a world of possibilities, based on the realities.
Mirandas comment of amazement when she sees all of the King's party is revealing; "Oh wonder, How many goodly creatures are there here, How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in't!". In one sense, it is ironic that she sees them as "goodly" and yet the play is about transformation and metamorphosis. They have all faced the truth and though true forgiveness, are transformed. Miranda's perception signals their transformation, their sea-change. Subsequently, it is evident that the Imaginative Journey, the sea-change, is used to explore a world of realities and possibilities.

In conclusion, Imaginative Journeys are used to explore a world of possibilities, where capabilities are discovered, as well as a true sense of self, freedom, and the consequences of choices that lead to transfomration, due to ones realities. In the Tempest, characters are faced with various power-based situations to make choices that allow them to further explore the limitations of the mind.

RandomTomGuy90

HSC
I think that's really good. It's goodhow you list forms, features and word devices and the impression of effects they create for an audience. It's really good i like some of the stuff in there.

Im doing an assignment very similar but as opposed to talking about the tempest i have chosen Lord of the Rings to talk about, and i must relate it to the tempest.

My Thesis:

"The Imaginative Journey is a subjective concept in which the prime purpose is to engage the responder in an entertaining but instructive way by employing supernatural themes and ideas."

But seriously, i think yours is good - maybe a bit more referance to imaginative journeys - i havn't seen your question, but make sure everything you say has a point and answers the question. Try to avoid repeating yourself as i tend to do sometimes :)

I found some usful phrases on this site:

Statements
+ Imaginative journeys take us into worlds of inspiration, speculation and imagination

+Imaginative journeys broaden the mind to allow the understanding of the world

+A Journey is the process of embarking from a place and undertaking a process of movement, change or self-discovery that result in arriving at a different place.

+A journey can be imaginative, taking you through ideas and abstractions so that you arrive at a state of understanding.

Dont know if this has helped much, but your response was helpful to me. You conclusion is like a knockout blow to an examiner.

cl3nta

HSC
overall very good. Nice to see you support arguments with evidence. I would recommend you add some flair to intro and conc. And lose the "in conclusion" think of 60000 students writing that - you want to stand out. good luck:)

RandomTomGuy90

HSC
Yeah good point - quality is the most important thing, but originality can help give an impression of quality.

Cakelin

HSC
hey there i think your essay is a fabulous start, im saying this because i just wrote a really simmilar one with the same essay question this week in class. I showed it to my teacher (who i hate she is the stupidest person in the world she is only 23ish and has no idea what she is talking about and i think she cries at her desk, my old teacher is on maternity leave and is coming back next term, i spend a lot of time on the phone to the old one) anyway the new teacher said that you should relate the concept of realities in the responders of the text, only i did it the same way you did and now ive decided our way is better, high five. The words 'and' and 'the' are really annoying me so i say get out a thesarus and see what you can find.
Good luck i think you have a lot of knowledge and even more talent missy
from cakelin

Cakelin

HSC
"Any journey includes both realities and possibilities" To what extent do the texts you have studied support this idea?
The imaginative journey experienced by both the composer and the responder within William Shakespeare’s The Tempest is one reflecting on the realities of power in Shakespeare’s society as well as the possibilities of how power should or should now be used and its results.
That was my introductory sentence, it seems quite different but its quite simmilar.

lukabro

HSC
thanks man
its helped me
shakespeare is nut case
thanks bro
4c

Chew me:)

HSC
RESULTS: I GOT 14 OUT OF 15 FOR THIS!!! which is excellent, cause they are EXTREMELY hard markers!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)