The Telstra Saga (1 Viewer)

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Telstra versus the ACCC.

Discuss the implications on pricing, incentive to innovate, competitors, trade-offs, etc, etc.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
The only thing i know about Telstra is this, which has nothing got to do with what you want :eek: sorry :\

K

katie_tully

Telstra is installing a mobile tower in my ex home town of TULLAMORE. Sif Deliverance needs reception.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
what a fucking shit thread

how about you provide some news articles, an opinion or something

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
jb_nc said:
what a fucking shit thread

how about you provide some news articles, an opinion or something
sorry. i must have over-estimated your knowledge on the subject. to start you off i will have you read a daily telegraph article on the issue, then when you start to get the idea, perhaps something from SMH, then we will consider discussing a take from the Financial Review. Agreed?

Here, you go: http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,10166,18526597-462,00.html

banco55

HSC
I think people who live in the more rural areas of Australia should stop expecting that communication services on par with Sydney are their birth right.

K

katie_tully

Why?

We pay for our telecommunications just like Sydney counterparts, therefore why should we not expect to have quality service?
Remember that "rural" Australia includes places like Wagga, Orange and Dubbo which have populatios of 40,000 or more. Places like Parkes which has a world renowned radio telescope require up to date communication services as well.

So why shouldnt they expect adequate services?

Last edited by a moderator:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
onebytwo said:
sorry. i must have over-estimated your knowledge on the subject. to start you off i will have you read a daily telegraph article on the issue, then when you start to get the idea, perhaps something from SMH, then we will consider discussing a take from the Financial Review. Agreed?

Here, you go: http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,10166,18526597-462,00.html
thank you for your news article link from 20 march 2006 which is actually from the australian not the "daily telegraph", great work. perhaps your reading comprehension needs to be worked on too!!! lmao, SMH,,, FIN REVIEW. i wish i was so skilled as to find the first result for "telstra" and "accc" on the news.com.au site :rolleyes:

oh and just fyi, "telstra versus the accc" is over. telstra lost on everything (including ull - assuming you know what ULL is, lol!!!!!! SMH, fin review, IM SO SMART) and now singtel will be subsidised by the federal government to build their 'network'. telstra have widely said they would take their funds offshore for a better investment for their shareholders and now they seem to be running anti-singtel ads in most newspapers.

in conclusion, socalism is an archaic ideology for teenagers who want to be different and rage against socitey

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
katie_tully said:
Why?

We pay for our telecommunications just like Sydney counterparts, therefore why should we not expect to have quality service?
Remember that "rural" Australia includes places like Wagga, Orange and Dubbo which have populatios of 40,000 or more. Places like Parkes which has a world renowned radio telescope require up to date communication services as well.

So why shouldnt they expect adequate services?
I don't mean places with 40,000. Depends what you mean by "pay". If the rural areas of Australia paid the market rate things would be very different.

K

katie_tully

Well then define rural? if you're talking about farming areas or small townships, then no they probably should not expect 5 star communication systems YET. They should expect adequate communication systems though, for emergencies etc.
I don't know if you've ever tried to speak on the phone on a remote phone line serviced by Telstra. It's shit. It's like speaking over the top of lightning cracks.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Telstra needs to be broken up into various babystra. Its annoying how they think every government contract is naturally theirs. It needs to be brought to its knees like america broke up AT&T into various babybells.

banco55

HSC
katie_tully said:
Well then define rural? if you're talking about farming areas or small townships, then no they probably should not expect 5 star communication systems YET. They should expect adequate communication systems though, for emergencies etc.
I don't know if you've ever tried to speak on the phone on a remote phone line serviced by Telstra. It's shit. It's like speaking over the top of lightning cracks.
I'm not talking about being able to get a decent signal for your mobile. The main reason we don't have high speed broadband is because the nationals etc. think for some reason that people in the more rural areas are entitled to high speed broadband. If Telstra etc. was just allowed to roll out high speed broadband in the metropolitan areas it would have been done by now.

K

katie_tully

If Telstra etc. was just allowed to roll out high speed broadband in the metropolitan areas it would have been done by now.
ROFL. Yeah. The sole reason for Telstra not rolling out high spped broadband in metro areas is purely because of rural residents wanting basic communications. ;)

This is the view I would expect of somebody from a third world country. Not Australia. I haven't seen your valid argument for while rural areas are not entitled to the same communications as Sydney. Nobody is talking about shit redneck Deliverance villages with 3 people, the main debate is regarding the larger rural towns which still lag behind Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:

banco55

HSC
katie_tully said:
ROFL. Yeah. The sole reason for Telstra not rolling out high spped broadband in metro areas is purely because of rural residents wanting basic communications. ;)

This is the view I would expect of somebody from a third world country. Not Australia. I haven't seen your valid argument for while rural areas are not entitled to the same communications as Sydney. Nobody is talking about shit redneck Deliverance villages with 3 people, the main debate is regarding the larger rural towns which still lag behind Sydney.
Labor's communications spokesperson:

BARRIE CASSIDY: You're using $4.7 billion of public money, the Government's planning to use 900 million to take it to remote areas. A very big difference in the level of taxpayers' money? STEPHEN CONROY: The big difference here is that John Howard is championing the Telstra and Optus G9 consortium's proposal, which is only to five capital cities. We're talking about 98 per cent of Australians.
G9 and Telstra have both said they will only build a national network that Labor's talking about if there is Government money. The $1 billion that this Government's putting in is on top of, on top of the near $4 billion that Helen Coonan announced in her press release a few months ago.

BARRIE CASSIDY: But why subsidise companies for undertaking what is a very profitable business?

STEPHEN CONROY: This is the point. Both G9 and Telstra have made it absolutely clear, they will not build into regional and rural Australia because they consider that to be uneconomic. They believe...

K

katie_tully

Clarify how rural Australia is stopping Telstra from rolling out highspeed internets to metropolitan areas? Because they're spending money to maintain basic, shit services to areas of the country instead of spending it all in Sydney?
I don't think so.
Stephen Conroy is a dicky Labor spokesman. Considering he isnt the Communications minister, I don't give two shits what the man has to say.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
I'm not talking about being able to get a decent signal for your mobile. The main reason we don't have high speed broadband is because the nationals etc. think for some reason that people in the more rural areas are entitled to high speed broadband. If Telstra etc. was just allowed to roll out high speed broadband in the metropolitan areas it would have been done by now.
"High speed broadband" is the lamest buzzword ever.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
jb_nc said:
thank you for your news article link from 20 march 2006 which is actually from the australian not the "daily telegraph", great work. perhaps your reading comprehension needs to be worked on too!!! lmao, SMH,,, FIN REVIEW. i wish i was so skilled as to find the first result for "telstra" and "accc" on the news.com.au site :rolleyes:
woops
jb_nc said:
oh and just fyi, "telstra versus the accc" is over. telstra lost on everything
since when?
jb_nc said:
in conclusion, socalism is an archaic ideology for teenagers who want to be different and rage against socitey
no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)