The Standard Model (1 Viewer)

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Hello People
Decided I would get the q to q forum cranking so I have a few questions

1. How in depth do you people go for the

gather,process and analyse information to assess the significance of the manhattan project to society

and Where there is good info for it other than out of textbooks

And more importantly

2. How indepth do you go into the Standard Model Dotpoint
I know in my textbooks its like 20 pages
So do you know it all, ie
Famalies of matter, specific stuff on quarks (chromomechanics) etc stuff like that

LET THE DISCUSSION COMMENCE

Helstar87

HSC
for the manhattan project it may be a 7 marker at most, but remember to keep it to the bare minimals. break it up into subsections (this is what i did for last years hsc)
ok, so you need to know a BIT of background, such as where the bombs were dropped and why (keep this short as its only an intro). Then, go in to the impacts it had. this is HUGE as some parts of Nagasaki and Hiroshima are still feeling the impact today. Points to list include;
The death toll = around 200,000 all up.
- Due to radioactive fallout, lukemias are still resulting as well as birth defects
- MAD (mutually assured destruction)
- nuclear proliferation has spread ever since (there's now enough nucler weapons to destroy the world 3 times over)
- money spent on nuclear proliferation takes money away from where its need, ie education and health)
Sorry, thats all I can remember, but theres heaps more!
Also discuss the POSITIVES as they can also ask you this,
these would include the development of radioactive isotopes, nuclear energy (France uses this today) whish releases no greenhouse gases! etc
Hope that helps.
ps. a 7 marker = 1 page in the HSC so remeber to STICK TO THE QUESTION, give examples and you'll do fine

rama_v

HSC
With the standard model you should know all the families of matter but you don't need to know quark colours or anything too specific. Know what the model looks like, know how it was developed (i.e. what tools were used to develop it, that is experiments with particle accelerators), and you should be fine. Take a look at past HSC questions to see the depth required. The question in 2004 for this dotpoint is a killer though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)