The Silmarillion (Prequel to the Hobbit --> Prequel to LOTR) (1 Viewer)

JoeysBoy

HSC
Does anyone know how to even spell it? lol...

I'll have to say its a VERY good book for hardcore LOTR fans... but even though I'm a semi-hardcore fan, I think this is essential for those who want to get a deeper knowledge of the greatest trilogy ever written.

The style of writing is very had to read. There are a LOT of names that you basically have to remember (if you don't you'll end up swearing and throwing the book at the wall because you'll get lost within the page), and there isn't much dialogue. Its very mythical... meaning a lot of the descriptions are very vague.

I'm up to page 92 atm... slow reading, but I'm trying to take everything in (plus I love to look at the map to relate it to the story line). The story line has just got interesting within the last 2-3 pages (the culling of the sacred trees by Morgoth/Melkor --> Feanor gets pissed and starts a march to goto war). Raises a lot of ironic paralelles between reality and Tolkien's imagination.

Comments?

Have you read it?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I've read it - and honestly I did not greatly enjoy it. It essentially is several sequences from early Middle Earth( and Aman)'s history, ranging from the recounting of the creation myth to the story of Luthien Tuniviel, of Gondolin, the flight of Earwen and so on. It does reveal Tolkien's brilliance in how every aspect of his world was moulded in his mind - culture, language and myth however the novel becomes bogged down from the very beginning by its own purpose: to extend upon previous revelations and from this a large part of its innaccessibility springs. The Silmarillion was not only intended for fans of Tolkien's style of writing, it was intended solely for those who enjoyed Middle Earth already, no one else.

Oddly enough though, I thoroughly enjoyed this book when I was 10 and a definite LOTR fan, nerd and so on. Now on re-reading I was a bit meh, not my taste anymore.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
JoeysBoy said:
Does anyone know how to even spell it? lol...

I'll have to say its a VERY good book for hardcore LOTR fans... but even though I'm a semi-hardcore fan, I think this is essential for those who want to get a deeper knowledge of the greatest trilogy ever written.

The style of writing is very had to read. There are a LOT of names that you basically have to remember (if you don't you'll end up swearing and throwing the book at the wall because you'll get lost within the page), and there isn't much dialogue. Its very mythical... meaning a lot of the descriptions are very vague.

I'm up to page 92 atm... slow reading, but I'm trying to take everything in (plus I love to look at the map to relate it to the story line). The story line has just got interesting within the last 2-3 pages (the culling of the sacred trees by Morgoth/Melkor --> Feanor gets pissed and starts a march to goto war). Raises a lot of ironic paralelles between reality and Tolkien's imagination.

Comments?

Have you read it?

I agree. Tolkien was a university professor so his writing style will be difficult to read.

I know I get confused so I have to re read the sentence.

This guy has made his own mythology, language and condensed this into what could be seen as the bible to middle earth.

It is an interesting read and I do reccommend it to Tolkien fans. Though I'm not a hardcore fan I still found it intriguing and fascinating , even if it is a fantasy piece.

The only downside is Tolkien soends too much time on one area. Well I suppose if he wants a detailed account it does have to be somehwhat lengthy.

Also worth reading for any Tolkien fans is the the History of Middle Earth. There are about 14 volumes, I think more. They're like an annals into middle earth. They're interesting as well. I haven't read them all but I've read a few.

I've got to read through my Tolkien collection now - hsc is over and I've nothing to do. lol.

keladry

lady knight
HSC
personally i think the unfinished tales were worse. they were just a bunch of notes with a lot of notation, and a few pieces that were finished by his son. really, these kind of books should only be for people who actually study middle-earth. but then who knows? i was sorta one of those people once upon a time when i was too young to comprehend the significance... makes me wonder why i bothered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)