The right to bear arms (1 Viewer)

Annihilist

HSC
I think we should be able to carry weapons. I don't think we should be able to carry guns. Guns are manufactured only for killing, and making killing easy. Anyone can shoot a man - it's like pressing a button on a machine and watching them die. It makes killing easy, automatic, and more-or-less clean.

If someone wants to kill someone, let them use a knife. Much fewer people would be willing to kill people with a knife, because it's manual and unclean, and that makes it difficult. I think that if someone is willing to kill another with a knife, then they have a genuine reason or they are a psychopath. Guns are different because most of us could kill someone with a gun. It's mechanical and artificial.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I think we should be able to carry weapons. I don't think we should be able to carry guns. Guns are manufactured only for killing, and making killing easy. Anyone can shoot a man - it's like pressing a button on a machine and watching them die. It makes killing easy, automatic, and more-or-less clean.

If someone wants to kill someone, let them use a knife. Much fewer people would be willing to kill people with a knife, because it's manual and unclean, and that makes it difficult. I think that if someone is willing to kill another with a knife, then they have a genuine reason or they are a psychopath. Guns are different because most of us could kill someone with a gun. It's mechanical and artificial.
Are you implying that by wielding a gun people would be more inclined to kill?

boris

Banned
HSC
yes you are right
there was no murder before firearms were invented

boris

Banned
HSC
"I think we should be able to carry weapons. I don't think we should be able to carry guns. Guns are manufactured only for killing, and making killing easy. "

you are aware that a weapon is something manufactured only for killing arent you

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I am implying that it is easier to kill, and it's more likely to happen.
But surely carrying a weapon that may make it easier to kill someone doesn't have any correlation to you actually feeling more inclined to killing someone?

So in the hypothetical situation where i had a superweapon that could kill half the population, and all I had to do was press this big red button on my desk, I'll feel more inclined to do it, just because it's easier? Have you considered that there is a mentality to killing someone, that doesn't merely surface just because it becomes easy?

Annihilist

HSC
yes you are right
there was no murder before firearms were invented
"I think we should be able to carry weapons. I don't think we should be able to carry guns. Guns are manufactured only for killing, and making killing easy. "

you are aware that a weapon is something manufactured only for killing arent you
I think you are missing my point.

A weapon is something that can be used to harm or kill another. By that definition a baseball bat is a potential weapon, but it was not manufactured for that purpose. But I digress.

My point is that if we don't have guns we don't have petty murder. People who murder with more intimate and manual weapons are more likely to think twice before thrusting a blade into the flesh of another, of destroying their head with a blunt object. It's difficult. People are confronted with the horrific nature of the crime and it invokes a certain empathy. There isn't such a thing with firearms. It's just point and shoot. It's mechanical and automatic (as I said).

Now, not to say it will stop all murder. It won't even stop petty murder. Laws don't work, and we need to stop thinking they do. But without a legal side to it, ethically, I think we should be allowed to carry knives, because if you kill someone with a knife, you generally have a genuine cause, reason, or motivation to do so. With a gun that is not necessarily the case.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If I need to defend myself I would prefer a gun over a knife.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Also just noticed, how sad it must be for the original poster of this thread that he has nothing better to don Christmas Day and posts here instead.

Annihilist

HSC
But surely carrying a weapon that may make it easier to kill someone doesn't have any correlation to you actually feeling more inclined to killing someone?

So in the hypothetical situation where i had a superweapon that could kill half the population, and all I had to do was press this big red button on my desk, I'll feel more inclined to do it, just because it's easier? Have you considered that there is a mentality to killing someone, that doesn't merely surface just because it becomes easy?
You have also missed my point. It does not make you want to kill someone. But you are not likely to think twice before doing so. If you already have the inclination to kill someone, and you go out with a gun, you're probably going to kill them. If you go out with a knife, when it comes to the moment, how many people are actually going to physically stab them with the knife? It's too confronting for a lot of people.

With manual weapons, people are less likely to actually kill someone. It doesn't change the motivation.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You have also missed my point. It does not make you want to kill someone. But you are not likely to think twice before doing so. If you already have the inclination to kill someone, and you go out with a gun, you're probably going to kill them. If you go out with a knife, when it comes to the moment, how many people are actually going to physically stab them with the knife? It's too confronting for a lot of people.

With manual weapons, people are less likely to actually kill someone. It doesn't change the motivation.
No, I have not missed the point, *that* is my point of disagreement. I don't see how making the method of killing easier will stop you thinking twice about killing someone

boris

Banned
HSC
I think you are missing my point.

A weapon is something that can be used to harm or kill another. By that definition a baseball bat is a potential weapon, but it was not manufactured for that purpose. But I digress.

My point is that if we don't have guns we don't have petty murder. People who murder with more intimate and manual weapons are more likely to think twice before thrusting a blade into the flesh of another, of destroying their head with a blunt object. It's difficult. People are confronted with the horrific nature of the crime and it invokes a certain empathy. There isn't such a thing with firearms. It's just point and shoot. It's mechanical and automatic (as I said).

Now, not to say it will stop all murder. It won't even stop petty murder. Laws don't work, and we need to stop thinking they do. But without a legal side to it, ethically, I think we should be allowed to carry knives, because if you kill someone with a knife, you generally have a genuine cause, reason, or motivation to do so. With a gun that is not necessarily the case.
i think you are oversimplifying the mentality of a murder and the motives behind gun crime (in australia at least)

boris

Banned
HSC
read the cato thing

all ur questions r answer

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I guess its pretty hard to answer that question because I highly doubt any of us have actually *seriously* gotten close to murdering someone

Annihilist

HSC
No, I have not missed the point, *that* is my point of disagreement. I don't see how making the method of killing easier will stop you thinking twice about killing someone
Anyone can shoot someone. Most people can't stab or club someone to death. It's too confronting and requires too much participation from the perpetrator. You have to actually force the life out of someone. It's an emotional thing, something a lot of people will either be disturbed by, or hesitate when the time comes to kill them. Anyone with humanity will be troubled by the idea of physically killing someone.

With a gun, a machine does it for you. All you have to do is press a button.

I think a good quote for this is the Joker - of course he was a psychopath and had it all backwards:

Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the little emotions. You see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are.
I would say most people don't want to see that side of murder.

i think you are oversimplifying the mentality of a murder and the motives behind gun crime (in australia at least)
Obviously. For the sake of argument.

Annihilist

HSC
I guess its pretty hard to answer that question because I highly doubt any of us have actually *seriously* gotten close to murdering someone
This is true. We are really only speaking in hypothetical, theoretical and philosophical terms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)