The question on everyones lips (1 Viewer)

Nadiaa

HSC
Year 12 is around the corner and i want to stick to a routine for the final year.
For those of you who aced the HSC, how did you do it and what was your study habits?
That is, if you dont mind sharing your "secret to success" :p :)

Thanks in advance :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Depends on the subject, but it was predominantly past papers.

killua_3

HSC
although i havn't done the actual hsc yet, i think i'm doing alright so far.

just few tips: (i do eng adv, 4u maths, phy, chem, bio)
-if you are not good at english, standard or adv or esl, start now...english is not a subject you can cram
-for maths, make sure that you always do a bit of exercise from previous topics, not just the one you are doing. although you might've done 1000000 questions from this topic, when it comes to the trial, you might only remember how to do 10
-as for science, pay attention from the start and do a little revision every week or fortnight. basically, start remembering stuff that you need to memorise as soon as you learn them. doing it just before the trials = not fun

Uncle

Banned
HSC
dont play dota.

dont memorise essays, request completely random questions from your english teacher so you can write extended responses
(i said extended responses NOT just essays)
and get a band 5 or 6 as a result and like me beat 95% of the whole state in english.

past papers and doing countless questions on maths, countless questions on all the topics.
dont forget to do them in the time limit, for english, forty minutes per extended response
(i said extended response not essay because you WON'T be guaranteed an essay, argue otherwise if you could)
or three hours or less in maths, etc.

not going to tutoring, it is a waste of money, going back and forth like other people and only to be beaten by me who never went to tutoring.

not going to a selective school which is overrated, just go home and spend the time studying and playing not travelling on a dirty old train for at least 2 hours a day.

if you are unsure, just consult your textbook and texts at night, then go back to school the next day and ask the teacher, etc.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
dont play dota.

dont memorise essays, request completely random questions from your english teacher so you can write extended responses
(i said extended responses NOT just essays)
and get a band 5 or 6 as a result and like me beat 95% of the whole state in english.

past papers and doing countless questions on maths, countless questions on all the topics.
dont forget to do them in the time limit, for english, forty minutes per extended response
(i said extended response not essay because you WON'T be guaranteed an essay, argue otherwise if you could)
or three hours or less in maths, etc.

not going to tutoring, it is a waste of money, going back and forth like other people and only to be beaten by me who never went to tutoring.

not going to a selective school which is overrated, just go home and spend the time studying and playing not travelling on a dirty old train for at least 2 hours a day.

if you are unsure, just consult your textbook and texts at night, then go back to school the next day and ask the teacher, etc.
mostly true, except for the play dota part.

uhh and i go to selective school and it takes 15 minutes bus, its actually closer than any other school.
tutoring...up to you. i dont go, but i'm sure it probably helps. lol

hecheeseman

HSC
its really simple. more simple than all of this stuff.

1. You have to listen in class and trust that the teachers know more than you cause they do. If they tell you you should do something then do it, no questions asked.

2. Have consultations with your teachers about exam marks and where you can improve. They know everything there is to know and so they are your best resource.

3. Do the work. I don't know what subjects you are going to do but I'm doing a random selection (eng adv, sor 1, maths ext 1, french cont. and art) so its pretty diverse but all of the study methods are similar, you just have to work, do essays and give them in to your teachers and ask for them to be marked, then you will figure out where your problem areas are and what needs work.

Good luck and most of all enjoy year 12 its the best year of school by a mile so don't just make the year about a number cause its not worth it

:)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
its really simple. more simple than all of this stuff.

1. You have to listen in class and trust that the teachers know more than you cause they do. If they tell you you should do something then do it, no questions asked.

2. Have consultations with your teachers about exam marks and where you can improve. They know everything there is to know and so they are your best resource.

3. Do the work. I don't know what subjects you are going to do but I'm doing a random selection (eng adv, sor 1, maths ext 1, french cont. and art) so its pretty diverse but all of the study methods are similar, you just have to work, do essays and give them in to your teachers and ask for them to be marked, then you will figure out where your problem areas are and what needs work.

Good luck and most of all enjoy year 12 its the best year of school by a mile so don't just make the year about a number cause its not worth it

omg did u accelerate all ur 10+ units in ur hsc in 2008/9?

Last edited:

Nadiaa

HSC
wow thanks for the advice.
So all thats needs to be done is a little extra studying and ill do fine?
it seems to easy to be true lol

samthebear

HSC
wow thanks for the advice.
So all thats needs to be done is a little extra studying and ill do fine?
it seems to easy to be true lol
two words: Hard work.

no other way around it.

you can be all specific and shit and say like do practice papers blah blah blah, but in its core its just good ol' fuckin hard work. elbow grease is the term that they used in the old days i believe.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Playing WoW for 2 months during my midsems dropped my calculus test results from 70 to 40s.

'Relaxing' instead of studying for the week before my exams (doing casual practice exams etc) made me get 45% in my physics and chem exams when I was got 70% average in my coursework and mid sem/trial exams.

If I didn't stuff those two things up I'dve gotten 95 instead of 90 - I think getting more than 95 is overkill unless you want scholarships/need it for your course.

EDIT: I think a tutor would have helped by providing organisational advice and mentoring

Last edited:

Venom.

HSC
Best decision ever - move out of the house to a relative's house who DOES NOT have the internet.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
In preparation for the maths exams. I'm just going to be doing more past papers over and over and over...

Also, not using the internet will help this (I don't think I need to move out... I can restrain myself ^_^)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i don't understand sacrificing social life for hsc.

really.

Nadiaa

HSC
In preparation for the maths exams. I'm just going to be doing more past papers over and over and over...

Also, not using the internet will help this (I don't think I need to move out... I can restrain myself ^_^)
lolll im going try to restrain myself.
From next term on wards
good bye social life :(

Hmm.. also
with 2 unit mathematics, im not the best at it, that is because lack of practice.
Do you think i should keep it for next year, or drop down to general?
Thanks for the advice btw :)

laRAWR

HSC
lolll im going try to restrain myself.
From next term on wards
good bye social life :(

Hmm.. also
with 2 unit mathematics, im not the best at it, that is because lack of practice.
Do you think i should keep it for next year, or drop down to general?
Thanks for the advice btw :)

it depends on your other subjects.
i was doing 2U, but, with my other subjects, my workload was huge.
dorpping down was the best decision ever :)
im not saying i dont study for maths, but it isnt as necessary now that i do general.
seriously, the work load becomes so much lighter and there isnt as much stress involved.

personal advice? drop to general :)

Nadiaa

HSC
it depends on your other subjects.
i was doing 2U, but, with my other subjects, my workload was huge.
dorpping down was the best decision ever :)
im not saying i dont study for maths, but it isnt as necessary now that i do general.
seriously, the work load becomes so much lighter and there isnt as much stress involved.

personal advice? drop to general :)
now heres a thought..
hmmm i wouldnt mind dropping down, it would be a such a relief.
but.. so many uni courses ask for "2 unit mathematics or more"
i dont know :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)