• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The PLT - UTS (1 Viewer)

derekch

HSC
Are the students at UTS at an advantage because they can choose to undertake the PLT as part of their course component?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Yes, sort of.

The only place where it doesn't really make a difference is if you want to work in a mid or top tier law firm because they'll just put you with the other graduates and train you up along with them.

HSC
The importance of incorperating the PLT as compared to other law student forums (such as those on vogue) is greatly understated on BoS.

It's an extra 7 months and $7K to your degree, not to mention you're paying extra to complete extra law units which would usually be taken up by the PLT.

I only ever hear good things from friends about the reception the practical experience gets. Though Rogueacademic's point is right I can tell you that many major firms give clerks an equivilent bonus if they have already completed the PLT, which could only be an advantage for a first year lawyer.

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I don't completely understand the post above this one. You have to exert time and money for the PLT program offered by the College of Law too, only you are unable to place it on HELP as you can if you take it as part of your undergraduate studies.

Speaking from experience, I found that every employer I interviewed at who wasn't a top tier firm was impressed that I was able to step into practising right away. In the end, most small to mid-tier firms hire you because they want a solicitor - and although I wouldn't overstate the advantage of being (in effect) 6 months ahead of your peers, it certainly brings you more into line with the firm's objectives where this is the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)