The Piracy "Problem" (1 Viewer)

Tasteless

HSC
Who the hell even pirates games, steam sales are fucking ace.
Also I signed up for netflix today, it is simple and cheap to do even from Australia ($13 a month), google is yo friend.

I don't agree that it is (necessarily) theft, but I do think people should pay for the content they consume in most cases.
But on the other hand if it's just a TV show that is free to air anyway, I don't really see the issue, is anybody even remotely effected by ads in the minutest sense?

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
But from an IT uni student perspective.... if I say made a really a good game, I wouldn't want people downloading it for free when I spent hours and hours (and many resources) developing this.... THIS also applies to movies, books, music, software etc...
Like tasteless said, game piracy is down because of steam, gog and similar. Benefit of a good distribution model and not gouging customers.

Besides that, there is a good community around indie games and they are far less likely to be pirated than a AAA title.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
But from an IT uni student perspective.... if I say made a really a good game, I wouldn't want people downloading it for free when I spent hours and hours (and many resources) developing this.... THIS also applies to movies, books, music, software etc...
yes nobody's disputing that you nong

"oh, what's that, developers DON'T like it when people download their stuff without paying??"

we're saying its not theft

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Who the hell even pirates games, steam sales are fucking ace.
Also I signed up for netflix today, it is simple and cheap to do even from Australia ($13 a month), google is yo friend.

I don't agree that it is (necessarily) theft, but I do think people should pay for the content they consume in most cases.
But on the other hand if it's just a TV show that is free to air anyway, I don't really see the issue, is anybody even remotely effected by ads in the minutest sense?
Spot on about the steam thing. Steam is such an easy to use platform and doesn't give you a million DRM warnings and consumers love it. If Aus had a proper netflix system/hulu system here you can bet piracy for TV shows will go WAY down. Tbh most people will watch the movie in the cinemas, wait for DVD release and then they torrent (high quality and all). Movies make most of their money in the theaters than from blu ray or DVD sales. studio execs don't give a shit about a yesteryear movie's blu ray sales performance.

developers should cut the shit with the DRM coz it's driving away legitimate consumers too. look at ubisofts DRM on PC games... god what a nightmare.

Tasteless

HSC
Yep, as for music itunes for single songs, youtube etc for discovering new stuff (and that site that like maps out bands according to genre and then how similar they are to other bands). Spotify, pandora and what not, so that's easy.

Ebooks though, idk I like to have a many, many thousands collection even if I never read them.
Just knowing that info is on hand if I need to reference a particular book or what not (I never do).
That said I've spent like half a grand on the book depository and amazon in the last two months (fuck amazon's shipping prices are fucked aye).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)