The Pill (1 Viewer)

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
there are different types.. they all have different names...

mines Levlen ED
someone else i know has Georgia thats about all i know. But apparently theres a huge long list of all the ones the doctors can choose from to put you on.

baby706

Ive been on the pill since I was 15 and im 18 now so 3 year roughly. I went on it a few months after I first had sex because I was in a serious relationship for 18months. I started off on Microgynon 30 (which is the standard pill i think) then changed to Microgynon 20 (lower dosage of hormones) coz I gained weight. I didnt have any side effects on that pill but now Im on Yasmin coz heaps of my friends went on it and it reduces bloating and weight gain. Its heaps more expensive than the other ones because its a newer pill and not covered by the government rebate or something. Not sure exactly how much for 3months but it was $25 for 1 month whereas the others I were on were around that for 3months.

I take mine every morning when I wake up...i dont have an exact time. Sometimes I forget and take it at night so you dont really need a set specific time where you must take it every day. If you miss a pill, take it straight away and I think its a few weeks before its safe to have sex without any other protection. Its a personal choice whether you choose to use condoms aswell and it also depends how close you are to the person etc. If your having sex without condoms you should have std tests too. yeh it might be embarassing, but better than having herpes etc

Mandy101

HSC
I went on it, and only took it for a month- I got headaches, nausea and a bunch of other negative side effects. But hey, there's so many different pills out there that you should be able to find one that suits you. It's not that expensive.. I paid $20 for three months supply (probably why it was so crap..). I would still advise you to use condoms, at least most of the time, because nothing is 100% effective and the pill doesn't protect against STDs..

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
_muse_ said:
there are different types.. they all have different names...

mines Levlen ED
someone else i know has Georgia thats about all i know. But apparently theres a huge long list of all the ones the doctors can choose from to put you on.
Haha yeh Theyre all girls names and I get them mixed up. And so does my mums cousin. Shes always like which one are you on? And I forget.

Levlen ED? Isnt that the cheapest/lowest?

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
im on 'monofeme 28'...i think it costs me around $4-5 a month...which is cheap compared to what a baby would cost in a month...

i havent out on any weight...maybe my boobs have gotten a little bigger, but no obvious side effects...

your docotr should be able to give you a pill that will suit ur body best, just bcos one pill has 'made u fat' doesnt mean they all will

jebbie

HSC
sped_kid01 said:
im on 'monofeme 28'...i think it costs me around $4-5 a month...which is cheap compared to what a baby would cost in a month...

i havent out on any weight...maybe my boobs have gotten a little bigger, but no obvious side effects...

your docotr should be able to give you a pill that will suit ur body best, just bcos one pill has 'made u fat' doesnt mean they all will
I agree.

My only side effects were more pimples, I went up like half a cup size or something and I became less moody.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
i think alot of girls dont go on the pill in fear of putting on weight...

but maybe SOME people (not every1) have just naturally put on weight after taking the pill..and blamed it on the pill?! i dont know! :p

HSC
Some people gain weight because when your on the Pill it tricks your body into think your pregnant so you start to eat more like you would if you were pregnant and therefore gain weight. Well at least thats what my doctor told me when he put me on it. So since I knew that, that could happen I was more awear of it and tried not to eat more than usual and I never gained any weight due to being on the Pill and im fine now.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
colboltic_dream said:
Some people gain weight because when your on the Pill it tricks your body into think your pregnant so you start to eat more like you would if you were pregnant and therefore gain weight. Well at least thats what my doctor told me when he put me on it. So since I knew that, that could happen I was more awear of it and tried not to eat more than usual and I never gained any weight due to being on the Pill and im fine now.
That and water retention. The pill can make you retain water. That's why there was a big fuss over Yasmin as people claimed it also made you lose weight...whereas it's just a diuretic.

Levlen ED isn't really the cheapest. Uhh, from what I remember...no I don't remember much right now...I'll have to have a look at work, but if you have a centrelink healthcare card and go for the ones with the boring boxes it'll only cost you $4.60.....

I'm on Monofeme. I have been since I was 16 so that's.......3 years now. But I never went on it for birth control reasons so I still expect the guys to use condoms (I don't want disease down there) especially as I've noticed I don't think it's working properly anymore. Well it's been happening for a while now, I still ovulate etc on it. I think I need a pill switch...but meh...I can't be bothered to go through that all over again.

jebbie

HSC
yulia said:
That and water retention. The pill can make you retain water. That's why there was a big fuss over Yasmin as people claimed it also made you lose weight...whereas it's just a diuretic.

Levlen ED isn't really the cheapest. Uhh, from what I remember...no I don't remember much right now...I'll have to have a look at work, but if you have a centrelink healthcare card and go for the ones with the boring boxes it'll only cost you $4.60.....

I'm on Monofeme. I have been since I was 16 so that's.......3 years now. But I never went on it for birth control reasons so I still expect the guys to use condoms (I don't want disease down there) especially as I've noticed I don't think it's working properly anymore. Well it's been happening for a while now, I still ovulate etc on it. I think I need a pill switch...but meh...I can't be bothered to go through that all over again.
Your sig still makes me freak out and go WHAT DOES SHE HAVE AGAINST MEEEEE? haha anyways the pill is excellent. The end.

bex

HSC
when a new pill first comes out, teh manufacturer puts a patent on it to stop other companies copying it right away. hence the premium price eg Yasmin.

After i think 3-5 years, the patent ends and other manufacturers can purchase the rights to re create that pill, therefore more brands= more competitive prices.

Pills that have been around for a long time, eg Levlen ED are covered by the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme). You will find that if you have a concession card from Centrelink, the pill will be available to you from a minumum of $4.60. This is because the government pays the diference to the pharmacy. so if you look on the box of your pill you can see how much the script would cost if you purchased it without a concession card.

As yet, Yasmin is not on the PBS and that is another reason for its price premium. However it is claimable through some private health insurance funds. so you can claim the cost back if your fund covers you, and the pharmacy will supply you with an official receipt if you would like to do this- you just need to ask. :)

shortie_689

HSC
i have private health cover and yasmin is one of the few pills that it doesnt cover

i know this cause I take yasmin and they wont let me claim it

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
bex said:
when a new pill first comes out, teh manufacturer puts a patent on it to stop other companies copying it right away. hence the premium price eg Yasmin.

After i think 3-5 years, the patent ends and other manufacturers can purchase the rights to re create that pill, therefore more brands= more competitive prices.

Pills that have been around for a long time, eg Levlen ED are covered by the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme). You will find that if you have a concession card from Centrelink, the pill will be available to you from a minumum of $4.60. This is because the government pays the diference to the pharmacy. so if you look on the box of your pill you can see how much the script would cost if you purchased it without a concession card.

As yet, Yasmin is not on the PBS and that is another reason for its price premium. However it is claimable through some private health insurance funds. so you can claim the cost back if your fund covers you, and the pharmacy will supply you with an official receipt if you would like to do this- you just need to ask. :)
That and if you buy the generic brand made by the manufacturer with the original patent, it is a lot cheaper. Usually a company will make the expensive brand, but also a super cheap priced version so they have more coverage of the market.

And yes, Yasmin is one of the more expensive ones.

bex

HSC
shortie_689 said:
i have private health cover and yasmin is one of the few pills that it doesnt cover

i know this cause I take yasmin and they wont let me claim it
as i said before, it just depends on your fund.. because i can claim mine with mbf..

anyways a random fact: someone told me that the different pills with girls names eg brenda, juliet, yasmin etc are names after the wives of the men who invented them..

not exactly sure how much truth there is in that though!

xx__savannah

HSC
I'm just on a generic pill, low dosage, and went on it about a year ago because my face is permanently red -- a bit like i'm blushing. I was on some special pill for it especially, but it worked up to a certain point and nothing afterwards.
I love the fact I'm on the pill -- I've been lucky enough not to have any side-effects, apart from moodiness which can be put down to stress, as well. It's good to rely on, I can plan events ahead, my face has gone down a lot, and I'm so glad my boobs didn't grow, like someone said, 15 and 16 year olds don't need DD.
My mum suggested I go on it for my bad period pain -- I just can't afford regular days off with 1 HSC sub this year, and the rest next year -- but was reluctant for me to goon it when my bf and I started getting serious. She paid for it up til my 16th birthday, but I pay for it now and I think it's stupid -- I'm still using it for medical reasons, even tho she doesn't believe it.

All these womens names, mine's just Microgynon.

HSC
I take Juliet 35-ED....that costs $41 for 3 months. I experience no side effects from this. Although, a friend picked up the generic brand, Brenda for me once and for 3 months I experienced weight gain and mood swings. If I was in a relationship where I was sleeping with the guy, I would probably still use a condom just for the extra safety though.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i'm not on it...and probably wouldnt go on it unless i really needed to
1) i've got no need atm
2) i'm not a fan of taking pills of any sort (i've had panadol <10 times in my life..and most of them were 'forced' in one way or another)

jebbie

HSC
alby said:
i'm not on it...and probably wouldnt go on it unless i really needed to
1) i've got no need atm
2) i'm not a fan of taking pills of any sort (i've had panadol <10 times in my life..and most of them were 'forced' in one way or another)
Yeh I have a phobia of pills getting stuck in my throat and me choking. But The Pill is so small I am comfortable with it.

I swallowed 4 proper capsule things today Im so proud :D

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i dont have any phobias or anything, i just plain dont want to....not sure exactly why though, i've just grown up not wanting to

4 capsules? why 4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)