The Pianist or Spirited Away For Journeys Related Text? (1 Viewer)

Raymondo

HSC
I'm really having a tough time deciding upon which of the two texts I should choose. Both are amazing films which encompass the fundamental, core themes of Journeys and both are definitely one of the best movies I've ever witnessed with my two eyes.

Yet my teacher advised me not to choose Spirited Away as a related text, as apparently "Animated Films aren't taken as seriously, and may incorporate irrelevant themes?"
Spirited Away is deep and compelling and I can really see myself analyzing the shit out of it. It encompasses all three main journey as well, which seem to be a plus.

The Pianist however, is also under my consideration. It seems to be the more 'secure' and stable choice for the assessment, however I don't think it's nearly as indepth and as deep as Spirited Away as a whole.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Yet my teacher advised me not to choose Spirited Away as a related text, as apparently "Animated Films aren't taken as seriously, and may incorporate irrelevant themes?"
Spirited Away is deep and compelling and I can really see myself analyzing the shit out of it. It encompasses all three main journey as well, which seem to be a plus.
BULLSHIT. If your teacher says that about Spirited Away, they obviously have not actually watched the film. In fact I would say you could do ANY recent Pixar, Dreamworks, or Disney film (and a lot of the older ones too) and perform extremely well in your exams. This sort of narrow-mindedness about what's "literature" and what's "relevant" really just shits me.

Basically, if you love Spirited Away (and I do), you should definitely choose it. You may also want to take a look at some of Miyazaki's other films if you haven't already - I think Momonoke could actually be a great choice, and definitely not as commonly used as Spirited Away. Or Nausicaa. Both darker examples of his oeuvre.

I'd challenge you on The Pianist not being as deep as Spirited Away - I think it too is an excellent choice and one that's replete with useful material you could talk about. However, I also think it's a more "serious" and harrowing film to dissect and analyse, which will render your studying a lot more painful than doing something as enjoyable and accessible as Miyazaki. Plus, handling sensitive subject matter like that requires a lot of delicacy and you never know if you're going to piss off an examiner accidentally.

PM me if you want a bit more advice, because if I can do anything to push back the amount of blatant canon-sucking that goes on in English teaching then I'm sure gonna do it.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
They are both overused tests. It will be hard to differentiate yourself with those common films.

Try some foreign films.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)