The physiology behind obesity. (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
(Note: when I say "diet" here, I mean the scientific term regarding what we eat, rather than the "I'm on a diet" usage.)

- Humans, like most animals, have an evolved an intake target, or the optimum ratio of carbs + fat and protein in our diets.
- Humans (believe it or not) actively regulate this and "defend it" - protein is the limiting macronutrient in our diets.
- We evolved in an energy-limited environment (i.e. low C+F:p ratio - lots of protein, not much carbs and fat) and our dietary intake target reflects this. We are hard-wired to store C+F in anticipation of future energy needs.
- Our intake targets have not shifted with the advent of agriculture (increased C+F availability) and the industrial revolution (increased sugar availability --> unlimited protein and carbs/fat quantities and quality); i.e. we have not evolved to cope with changes in our nutritional environment.

Therefore,
- On HIGH C+F:p diets, where carbs and fat are OVEREATEN to match protein needs, excess C+F must be gotten rid of (exercise) to maintain body composition. Consequences otherwise: obesity, type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease, mortality etc.

- On LOW C+F:p diets, where C+F are UNDEREATEN to match protein needs, we much become energy limited and excrete metabolised protein products (ammonia, nitrates, etc). Consequences otherwise: excessive weight loss, kidney damage, cancer, cardiovascular disease, etc.

A note on high C+F:p diets - there is a catastrophic positive feedback loop.
1. Ingest a high C+F:p diet.
2. Increases insulin resistance - predisposition to obesity.
3. Deep fat stores (especially abdominal) are not inhibited by insulin (because of resistance) from being broken down. FFA (free fatty acids) released into bloodstream.
4. FFA interferes with insulin inhibition of gluconeogenesis in liver - starvation response (protein broken down to release glucose instead of breaking down fat stores).
5. This increases dietary demand for protein.
6. C+F eaten in excess to compensate for increased protein requirements.

Also, an obese person who cuts out ALL fat and carbohydrates from their diets can literally starve to death. This is why low C+F:p diets are dangerous long term - good initial weight loss but extremely damaging to the system long term. See above for consequences.

Conclusion: I can't tell you exactly how much of what to eat - I'll leave that to a doctor. BUT TRY TO BE BALANCED. Don't overeat either protein and fat or carbohydrates - and especially don't cut out all fat, as we NEED a certain amount of fat in our diets. And, as always, exercise.

With that, I'm off for a walk. Thanks for helping me study guys!

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'm gay and fat and Aboriginal.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Oh Kwayera you're getting too complicated when you're making threads, try to make it easier for people like me who have a low IQ.
I know you're my number one fan :eek:

boris

Banned
HSC
2. Increases insulin resistance - predisposition to obesity.
Chuck in a bit about the increased risk of developing diabetes too, which is basically what happens when you gorge yourself to such a point where your Islets of Langerhans shat themselves.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
boris said:
Chuck in a bit about the increased risk of developing diabetes too, which is basically what happens when you gorge yourself to such a point where your Islets of Langerhans shat themselves.
Well I did, in the consequences of a high C+F:p ratio diet :p *bolds it*

quik.

HSC
Kwayera said:
Conclusion: I can't tell you exactly how much of what to eat - I'll leave that to a doctor. BUT TRY TO BE BALANCED. Don't overeat either protein and fat or carbohydrates - and especially don't cut out all fat, as we NEED a certain amount of fat in our diets. And, as always, exercise.
It amazes me that such a simple thing can be completely ignored by so many people.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
It's not that they ignore it. They know very well what they need to do. They're just lazy and want a quick fix.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
boris said:
thats more type 1.. type 2 tat happens about 10 yrs after the insulin resistance..

also to OP.. On LOW C+F:p diets can lead to death and brain damage if the liver chonks out... cancer in theory is less likely than the other 2...

balance and sensible exercise...

tho there is a need to get ure body examined.. in case u are lucky enough to have a reversible cause of obesity.. gastric banding can fail too .. it really does suck ..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)